• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head project

I almost pulled the trigger on some Maltby forged TE heads, $30 each.

Any of you hos think building a set of Titleists from scratch is cheaper than just buying a built set? Genuinely curious.

Should be simple math. Can you buy just the heads? If so, how much. Shaft cost can vary dramatically, depending on what you decide to install. And, are you confident doing your own build as to quality control? Swing weight, etc.? PaPaD (Steve) has done a lot of club work. I would trust him with a build. I wouldn't trust myself. I've seen a lot of bad workmanship, over the years, from folks who think of themselves as a club builder.

Should be simple math. Can you buy just the heads? If so, how much. Shaft cost can vary dramatically, depending on what you decide to install. And, are you confident doing your own build as to quality control? Swing weight, etc.? PaPaD (Steve) has done a lot of club work. I would trust him with a build. I wouldn't trust myself. I've seen a lot of bad workmanship, over the years, from folks who think of themselves as a club builder.

Like me, I can build a lot of shit. Golf clubs, not so much.

I just mean in general. I don't know how to build clubs so I would have to have someone else do that, but in general those of you that build clubs does it seem to be more cost efficient or is it just more of a hobby?

Another set of cheaper heads and shafts lowers the price to $258.

I haven't found them, but I also haven't looked very hard.

Well, a set of 718 AP2's (4-aw) with AMT shafts runs about $1300 which comes out to about $162.50 a club. That puts the head only in the range of about $120-125 ea.

Almost impossible to find OEM heads in like new condition. The quality component club head options have dwindled with the shuttering of Golfsmith and Wishon. Best bet if you want OEM heads is find a used set, preferably ones with damaged shafts and/or worn out grips for a cheaper price and rebuild them with new shafts and grips. Once Golfsmith started to decline and Wishon broke off on his own, that’s the direction I went.

That being said, sometimes you can find great deals as OEM’s start to clear out the previous model. You can almost get them totally customized to you specs in the OEM custom shop cheaper that you could buying the components separately.

Enjoy the process.

Wishon just introduced some new heads. When did they close?

Wishon just introduced some new heads. When did they close?
I got an email from them a while back saying that the business was sold. Someone else bought the brand name, not sure if the quality will remain the same

Just looked it up, Wishon Golf is now based in West Sussex, England. No longer in Colorado where Wishon was based. Not sure who is running the show now.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424