• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help hitting long irons

King Par

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a terrible time trying to hit my 3 and 4 irons. i usually slice them into next week.

are there any tips to help this? where should i put the ball in my stance? should i take a big divot like i do with an 8 iron, or just pick the ball off the fairway?

i'd like to think my swing is pretty consistant as i have no problem hitting 5 through to my 60* wedge, just the dang 3 and 4 that i have a problem with.

any tips are appreciated, thanks.

They need to be played further forward than a short iron. Not a big divot but a divot is OK. Basically you have to catch the ball cleaner due to less bounce. A 8-PW generally has somewhere between a 5-9 bounce, allowing the club to slide into the ball, even if you hit a little behind it. A 3iron often has a negative bounce angle, meaning you have to catch it perfect. Also why I play a hybrid. :laugh:

i had the hardest time hitting my 3i and 4i for longest time. usually fade or slice.

i noticed that when i'm completely relaxed, i can a nice draw w/ my long irons. first i get to my address position, and remove all the tension in my fingers and wrist. backswing starts w/ my left shoulder, keeping the triangle retained by shoulders and arms. at this point, my grip pressure is same as at address. from top of my backswing to follow through, i try to maintain the same relaxed grip pressure. this should help you at least get the ball in the air consistantly.

i still to this day don't consistantly hit 3i.

Man up. Replace them with hybrids.

It's my plan for the winter over-haul.

Nickent 4DX's.

I actually didn't hit them bad today, just a little short.

213 yard par 3...came up about 10 yards short. 199 yard par 3, hit my 4 iron about 5 yards short.

I actually didn't hit them bad today, just a little short.

213 yard par 3...came up about 10 yards short. 199 yard par 3, hit my 4 iron about 5 yards short.
Sounds like you hit them pretty well, you didn't necessarily come up short....that could just be the distance you hit those clubs. Which could also be the reason why you tend to struggle with them, maybe you feel like HAVE TO or SHOULD hit them a certain distance, causing you to overswing. Or maybe not, just babbling here.

i hit my 3i just about 200yds, so you're not too shabby..
i agree w/ nassau, i have this problem w/ long irons. i could put a good swing and it'll go about 200 w/ 3i, but i try to kill the ball to get to 200, and i over swing.

but are you guys getting that 200 yards with a 3i off the tee or out of the rough?

Thats where the hybrid really is nice: the fact that you can get those distances even out of the rough. And since you know that you'll hit it clean with a hybrid, you are less likely to "swing for the fences". Instead you'll take a controlled swing that get you better accuracy as well.

(plus I love the sound a hybrid makes were you hit it solid!)

-DVS

How does a 21* 7 wood compare to the same hybrid for hit ability?

How does a 21* 7 wood compare to the same hybrid for hit ability?

The 7 wood, in my opinion, is much more versatile. I use mine alot more than one would think.

I'm not a fan of hybrids tho. Not that they don't work, they just don't work for me. Too much offset.

R35

This was off a tee.

I normally can hit these greens with the 3 and 4 iron, I just had a strong wind coming at me and hit a pretty decent fade. Plus the fairway before the green was soaked, so the ball didn't run.

The 7 wood, in my opinion, is much more versatile. I use mine alot more than one would think.

I'm not a fan of hybrids tho. Not that they don't work, they just don't work for me. Too much offset.

R35

As far as loft goes they should be about a 3 iron right?
Just depends what you want to hit.

I think my set up next year is going to be kind of similar.

Driver
4 wood
7 wood
23* Hybrid
5-PW
56* 60*

I don't often find myself wishing I had an extra wedge, 52*. Althought with that set up I'll have an extra spot somewhere.

I think my set up next year is going to be kind of similar.

Driver
4 wood
7 wood
23* Hybrid
5-PW
56* 60*

I don't often find myself wishing I had an extra wedge, 52*. Althought with that set up I'll have an extra spot somewhere.
King is that 7 wood 21* and the hy. is 23* what kind of yardage do you get with each?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301