• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heresy?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some might say so, but here's the deal...

I spent all of today, and most of yesterday, re-roofing my grandad's house. Ugh, that was...not fun. Especially because of the wind. Anyway, moving on...

He is always very interested in my golf. I tell him how I'm doing, if I have any plans for it, things like that. Well, he never got me a birthday present, not a big deal to me, I didn't even notice until he brought it up. So, for the assistance, and my birthday, he gave me some money. He said he wanted me to use it on golf.

The thought came to mind that perhaps I'd play one or two of the really expensive courses around here. The thought was attractive, but, as is my general rule of thumb, if it's not a trip, the memory will fade. A new club? I'm pretty much set on my bag. I don't want anything else.

And thus...heresy. I'm debating getting a Scotty. I'm not doing this because it will help my putting, I'm doing this because it was a great gift for my 21st birthday, and it's something I'd love to remember.

My only real question, is what's the difference between the Newport and Newport 2.0? I'm going to go putt with some tomorrow, but I'd like some knowledge going into it.

Why the Newport or Newport 2.0? I prefer the face and hosel style. Never been a big fan of a straight down hosel, don't ask me why, I just prefer the set-back. And if I'm going to be dropping some money on it, it will be perfect. Which, I guess, is the idea.

Oh yeah, Studio Style.

Its just the shape of the putter that's the difference between a Newport and Newport 2.

I say get a pro platinum off ebay and get then send it to the custom shop. That would be a sweet bday present for yourself. IMO the pro platinum have better feel than the studio style or studio designs.

The difference between a Newport and a Newport is head style. Same neck, but just different style to the milling. The Newport has rounder lines where as the Newport 2 has more angular lines. Check out the photos:
----->Newport Link
----->Newport2 Link

The biggest difference between the two is what is available. The Newport (US Market, someone always brings up the Japanese market when I do this) is only available in 35" / 330g set up. The Newport 2 is available in 35" / 330g, 34" / 340g, and 33" / 350g. If your a confirmed 35" putter guy, its no big deal, but if you are into the shorter putter lengths the extra head weight really helps. 350g heads/putters are harder to find and do have a slight premium on the used market, but there are deals to be had. I snagged my Studio Style Newport 2 33/350 in new condition for $216 plus shipping.

It's OK Jeff, I just bought a Scotty, too. I guess we need to buy sticks for our a$$es, and practice looking down our noses at other putters. Sigh

Clug, I don't practice to know I'm better than other people. First time I looked in the mirror I thought, "Well, damn, this fine and not snobbish? Can't happen."

Anywho, thanks for the info ualtim. Standing at 6'2", I don't mind having the 35" putter. :)

A searching we shall go. If anyone finds anything, lemme know...

You guys make it sound like people playing SCs are evil or something?

I believe it's something like 80% of PGA is playing SC putters, so put that in ur pipes and smoke it!

Jeff, im 6"2 and I play a 33" putter. Although I have longer arms, so it lets me keep my eyes square over the ball better than standing straight up with a 35"

I don't stand up straight. I just don't mind using the 35". People who putt standing up look like goobers.

Anyway, well enough. FIND ME SOMETHING PIPER!

Oh, and SC owners are evil, it's science, and you can't argue science.

Prove it, show me the math.

While your working on that i'll find u a putter.

Anywho, thanks for the info ualtim. Standing at 6'2", I don't mind having the 35" putter. :)

Well, standing at 5'8" and fat, anything over 33" is a belly putter to me.:laugh:

NOOOOOO!!!!
Don't be tempted by the dark side, there is still time to redeem yourself young one.

Its not that Scotty owners are evil, its just some have a chip on their shoulder about it.

No doubt, some of the best in the world use Scotty. There must be a reason. Just wish the retail Scotty's came in the tour weights. And I'm not talking 009.

Put this in the search on ebay and it'll pull up a bunch of them that would be great to send into the custom shop:

Newport 2 pro platinum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427