• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you travel with your clubs?

jmtbkr

waaaaay out there
I'm about to go on vacation to Florida and I want to take my clubs. What travel bag do you use?
I was recomended the ClubGlove by a friend. Any suggestions?

thanks!
jeff

Two things to check and remember:

1. Not all airlines warranty soft sided bags for ANY reason. Check with your airline specifically. Most don't. And i've seen enough ripped baggage and broken golf clubs to not even attempt this anymore.

2. Hard cases are super nice, but a PITA to travel with. You'll need an SUV or large 4 door car if you plan on going anywhere with it - like from the airport to your hotel.

R35

I bought a Soft Sided carry case from Dick's a few years back and have used it 2 or 3 times. When I pack the clubs I put in several layers of towels as extra padding and added some sort of bar in the bag to prevent bending of the bag. Granted it wasn't foolproof but it worked out ok for me.

Also make sure your renters/homeowners insurance is up to date. If your clubs are lost stolen or broken that is who you will file the claim with and you will only get back what the clubs are worth above and beyond your deductible.

PS-Welcome to the board!!!!:D

I have an extra set of clubs and I usually ship them UPS to where I am going a week ahead. I do the same thing with fishing gear. When I do fly with clubs I use a soft case. Nock on wood but the airlines have never damaged my clubs. Check out the UPS thing though as its reasonably priced and sure beats lugging golf gear thru a big airport.

I have an extra set of clubs and I usually ship them UPS to where I am going a week ahead. I do the same thing with fishing gear. When I do fly with clubs I use a soft case. Nock on wood but the airlines have never damaged my clubs. Check out the UPS thing though as its reasonably priced and sure beats lugging golf gear thru a big airport.

Good idea, although I would go with USPS. I had a couple of clubs absolutely DESTROYED 2 yrs ago by UPS. That was the last time I used them!

I don't fly enough to take clubs, but my BIL does. He bought one of the hardsided cases with wheels and uses it a few times a year. He's never had a problem, other than having to plan around it per what Rock said above.

If I were going to fly much, I'd invest in a hard case.

I don't fly enough to take clubs, but my BIL does. He bought one of the hardsided cases with wheels and uses it a few times a year. He's never had a problem, other than having to plan around it per what Rock said above.

If I were going to fly much, I'd invest in a hard case.

I bought a hard case and lend it out to EVERYONE i know that travels. It has all sorts of bumps and bruises, but you can tell it's saved a few broken shafts.

R35

I have both a soft & hard case. I NEVER contemplate travelling with the clubs not protected. If you're going to use a soft travel cover, make sure you combine it with a Stiff Arm. It works a treat.

+1 to TTR's comment...

I have traveled with a soft sided case, had no problems. But my 1 trip doesn't mean much. The person i traveled with though, travels for a living and says he will never travel with a hard case again. Said they're too hard to fit into rentals and too much of a hassle for him to bother. He hasn't had a problem yet with a soft sided case. Good enough for me.

If anyone thinks flying with golf clubs is a pain you should try flying with surfboards. Huge fees (over $100 each way if you are lucky) and a 50/50 chance your boards are destroyed by the airlines. If the airline damages your gear they take a touch sh@# attitude about it.

If anyone thinks flying with golf clubs is a pain you should try flying with surfboards. Huge fees (over $100 each way if you are lucky) and a 50/50 chance your boards are destroyed by the airlines. If the airline damages your gear they take a touch sh@# attitude about it.

Try traveling with firearms. Especially when you get a know-it-all that knows nothing about airline policies concerning weapons.

I have a ClubGlove "the Last Bag" I have traveled several times(back and forth to FLA, IRE, and HI) and actually had Ben Curtis' caddy grab my travel bag and think it was his...If it' sgood enough for the tour players it's good enough for me. It is a little expensive, but to protect $2000 worth of gear...
Last Bag by ClubGlove

I have both a soft & hard case. I NEVER contemplate travelling with the clubs not protected. If you're going to use a soft travel cover, make sure you combine it with a Stiff Arm. It works a treat.

The stiff arm woks great. I have a $40 Bag Boy Soft Carry bag with a Stiff Arm thingy and it works awesome. Have only traveled once overseas with them on a three plane trip (Sydney-L.A, L.A-Miami, Miami-South America) and didn't have any issue with any club. I guess for a one or two occation travel it works miracles, but if I traveled a lot more with my clubs I would definitely go for an upper end travel bag.

I have a ClubGlove "the Last Bag" .... It is a little expensive, but to protect $2000 worth of gear...
Last Bag by ClubGlove

It's refreshing to see such a realistic attitude. I've lost count of the amount of people posting on golf forums who say "I want to protect my clubs whilst travelling but I don't want to spend any money".

I have a soft sided case from Samsonite. I protect my clubs with towels and clothing and I have flown this way 4-5 times with no problems. I like that Stiff Arm thing I may have to pick one up for my next flight in February. I have never been happy with any of the hard sided cases that I owned, both for the reasons mentioned above and I thought it was much more difficult to get a bag to fit into the case regularly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?