• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to Score Low

I know "Pelz" is a bad word with a lot of folks around here, but his "Short Game Bible" is quite revealing as to the improtance of the short game. If you throw his swing instruction aside, there is a lot of gold in that book. What drew him into writing it was his early studies of tour players. He sat on the range one day watching two guys warm up for there round. One, and older pro, the other a newer pro to the tour. The older pro had a horrible swing, couldn't drive the ball well, couldn't hit his fairway woods well, couldn't hit his irons well, and while you have to be a good putter on tour, was not the strongest. The newer pro had a perfect swing, banged the driver long and straight, piped the fairways and irons, and putted pretty well on the practice green. Dave decided to follow the pair around the course that day. The old pro was all over the place with his bad swing while the new pro was playing quality shots all day. When the round was over, the old pro beat the new pro by several shots. Confused, Dave went back to his stats to see what the difference between the two was as in his mind the newer pro played a better game tee to green. The results? Shots from 100 yards in. The old pro was getting down in two from that range consistantly where the newer pro was taking 3.

Getting the ball to stop close to the hole from 100 yards and in WILL lower your scores regardless of how you got there.

From anything resembling rough I use my 60* wedge. Always have and can do almost anything with it. I do not buy into the keep the ball on the ground bullshit, never have and never will. From the fringe I use my 48* PW or the 60*, depending on whether the shot is uphill or downhill.

Same but lofts 50* and 58* Also move ball forward or back in stance to control trajectory and spin. These two clubs are near and dear to my heart. Would be lost without them

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520