• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to Score Low

I'm tending to agree with this. I've had the ugliest approach shots in history and still scrambled my ass off for a good score before. I can usually (9/10) put the ball within six to eight feet of the hole if I'm within fifty yards. Sometimes closer (although I've never holed out from more than 15 yards :().

And yes, chipping can get you birdies. It's called when you just barely miss the green from trying to drive a par 4 in one shot. :laugh:

I have chipped in for birdie countless times. I am never chipping to just get it close.

in the couple rounds i've played I could've done been shooting I'd say 5-10 strokes better easily, I know it cost me at least 4 strokes on one hole in particular. i've been working on it some, but I just lack the consistency on the course, hopefully that'll come with time and even more practice

Chipping is horrendous for me. A hard half wedge or 3/4 wedge I can usually do ok, get around a 10-20 foot putt. Them little chip shots to get it close for par its either a flubbed chip, flyer chip, or a chip that lands on the green but I'm still looking at a 2 putt for bogey at best. I give up at least 10 shots a round b/c of bad chipping.

This is a good place to plug an ad for a great book :)

"The Art of the Short Game", by Stan Utley.

Instant improvement for about $18 at Barnes and Noble.

I noticed in one of the above posts that someone plays with a guy who always uses a sand wedge for chips. What are your thoughts on that? What is everyone's go-to club for chipping?

My instructor taught me to use an 8i or 9i unless the green was really elevated. He recommended the PW for elevated greens; but never mentioned the SW with regards to chipping.

From anything resembling rough I use my 60* wedge. Always have and can do almost anything with it. I do not buy into the keep the ball on the ground bullshit, never have and never will. From the fringe I use my 48* PW or the 60*, depending on whether the shot is uphill or downhill.

I noticed in one of the above posts that someone plays with a guy who always uses a sand wedge for chips. What are your thoughts on that? What is everyone's go-to club for chipping?

My instructor taught me to use an 8i or 9i unless the green was really elevated. He recommended the PW for elevated greens; but never mentioned the SW with regards to chipping.

Today I used my gap wedge, my lob wedge, my sand wedge, my 8 iron, and my #3 hybrid for chipping. I'll pretty much use anything except the driver. I let the shot tell me which club to use. This comes from getting out in the afternoons and really trying all sorts of things around the greens.

Back in the day(20 years ago) I did not carry a SW. I got real used to chipping with a PW, but probably about half the time I would use a 7i or 8i and just bump and run it. I still do some of that day, but this year I got a GW(52) and am using it.

Really unless the rough is real thick or you can't land the ball on the green and stop it quick enough, then any club will do. Bump and run is nice in that it is just like a putt. Same swing.

I use my gap wedge almost exclusively, I even use it in the bunkers.

I need to get to the course more if I expect to score better - today's short game was embarrassing
rough was brutal too - noticed a bunch of ball marks high on my wedge today - they don't go in the hole when you leave them short
also doesn't help when you have no touch on the green...
great day out though :)

From anything resembling rough I use my 60* wedge. Always have and can do almost anything with it. I do not buy into the keep the ball on the ground bullshit, never have and never will. From the fringe I use my 48* PW or the 60*, depending on whether the shot is uphill or downhill.

i'm w/ lyle on this one.

i get more creative and my short game becomes completely feel based. i used to chip w/ PW keep the ball on the ground longer etc., but now i use either my 54 or 60 wedge.

ez on the either hand is opposite. he keeps the ball low and it seems to work for him.

same, except my lofts are 51 and 58

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520