• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Howell III beats Phail in playoff

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil played the last few holes and the playoff holes like he was "not trying to lose". Howell III was agressive and I knew it would catch up to Phil. Great golf today though for those of us that can only watch it now... :D

A bit harsh on Phil, WBL. Won last week. Playoff this week. What about the rest of the foks who fell off the planet today; Ernie, Padraig, and the Beemer? I am more of the opinion that Howell III won it rather than Phil losing it. Phil hit some amazing shots to keep himself in the lead but just could not pull them off on 18 or in the playoff holes.

CHIII deserves a lot of credit for the way he played today. It looks like he is finally starting to reach that potential that everyone has hung on him.

Just looked to me like he was hitting "too careful" or "too tentative" where they were usually short, giving him a long putt instead of short putt. I hate to see that in a playoff. I like agressive, risk taking play. :D

(Charles Howell III CAN PUTT!!)

I'm kind of torn on this one. I kind of agree that Phil played not to lose but I think this is closer to CH-III winning versus Phil losing. I've never been a big Phil fan but something about him and Tiger reminds me of Frazier vs. Ali. Ali was the greatest of all time but Frazier had a heart so big that you respected him if nothing else. Phil may not have the heart of a Frazier but I haven't seen him quit yet. That's the mark of a true warrior. Here's to you Phil...the better man won today. Cheers!

(Charles Howell III CAN PUTT!!)

For the moment anyway, his putting in my mind is like Adam Scotts, when its good its great...when its not-:horse:

I will say that this is one of my favorite tourneys to watch, I would love to play that course...

I love this. Now Phil is being too careful and trying not lose!

You gotta admit, that flop on ten was the shit. And then holing the hybrid bump. I thought he had it then.

Mickleson said at the beginning of the year, "im getting back to hitting more safe shots and the higher percentage shots, i did that the whole time up until 18 at winged foot and it paid off".

Obv. I dont think he played not to lose, its just that CHIII was playing so well that it made it seem safer then it actually was.

both these players have been in great form so far this season, it looks like CHIII has actually grown up/matured and has done some great work with leadbetter this off season. He has learn't to hit the ball lower and control his irons more. Phil is just Bombing his FT5 and looks very confidant with his setup and swing at the mo. I'll be backing these two at Augusta. I'm just p*ssed that I don't get to watch any of it anymore, all I get to watch are little video highlights on PGA.com & golf central. :(

Why dont you buy/order The Golf Channel Manchestergolfer?

Why dont you buy/order The Golf Channel Manchestergolfer?

We can only get the Golf channel UK over here who don't have the rights to air live PGA coverage on this side of the Atlantic. We will still get the majors and some big tourneys on Sky & BBC but the week to week tourneys are aired by Sentanna sports now, which would mean forking out an extra £15/$30 a month just for the golf coverage! :( Unless you can get the Golf Channel over the internet?

I know Callaway liked that playoff... I don't think Phil played too un-agressive? In fact I saw the opposite again. On 18 he should have hit a 3w off the tee. There should have never been a playoff... why does he seem to play for a birdie when a routine par is all that is needed? How easy would it be to put a second shot on 18 to the front fringe and run a chip to the stick?

Howell played gutsy in the playoff but Phil kept opening the door for sure. Why would you try the exact same thing that just produced a bogey on the 1st playoff hole? It should have been over right then and there but Charlie hits a flyer 160 with his PW and Phil hits one of the best 3irons I've ever seen (did you see how far below his feet and out of the rough, 218). Then he almost ends it with a putter off the green.

He plays agressive and then has to play even more agressive when that play isn't near perfect.

I think Phil played defensively as a deliberate strategy. I would have used the same one against CHIII.

Frankly, Howell is known for finishing second and Phil knew this. So his thinking was, "I'll let him beat himself by making another mistake down the stretch".

A great strategy against a player who is known not to be a strong closer. The right strategy.

CHIII had his breakthrough in this match. His voice cracked a bit when being interviewed afterward. He knew, Phail knew and those who watch the tour knew that he had Beaten Michelson, by outplaying him...once you do this a few times, opponents look at you differently and know they must play more aggressively to beat you, because you can CLOSE....

Eliminate 1 of 2 lip outs from inside 2.5 feet and you have no playoff. Phils putter let him down if it didnt this was a 3-4 stroke win.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520