• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I hessitate to write anything, but here

cypressperch

Reaction score
goes. First, I have no great knowledge of computers. I like writing stuff for this forum, but it is quite often that I will write something and when I go to submit it, I am told that I have not logged in, which I have. The only thing left of what I have written will be the title. I might type it over, and submit it with no problem. Lately, I will type it again only to find that I have not logged in, which I have. Frustrating is putting it lightly. Can anyone tell what is going on? Sincerely, Cypressperch

Don't know what's happening there but You could always mark all your text and click the right mouse button and go to 'copy' if the post is lost then you just click the right mouse button and go down to 'paste'. This will re-insert your text and you could try again. Hope that made some sense I'm not very good on a PC either.

It's been happening every once in a while to me too. Sometimes the site won't open back up for a few minutes. I can imagine it would get very frustrating with those 5 paragraph posts getting lost.
icon10.gif

This happens with me. I would believe it is just your session timing out due to no activity for a period of time. Typing is not really activity in it's mind. As mentioned before the easiest way to remedy this is the copy and past function, although you do not need to do it prior to hitting submit every time. Only if it gives you the error, at which point you can hit the "back" key on your browser which will take you back to the text entry with the text still in tact. From there select all the text, do a copy (either right click and copy, or from the edit menu at the top), hit back again to take back to the thread, or possibly a login screen, if it is the login screen, if it is the lock in screen just hit back again, hit post reply, paste, and then submit.

Not sure what could be done by Sling, unless he can change the timeout time, however in doing so he may run into bandwidth issues for people like me who never log out knowing the system will do it for me.

But using this procedure should make it pretty simple and less frustrating.

For long posts I usually write it out in "Word" (the word processor) to check spelling etc. as shot talk lacks a spell checker :hunter: (cheap shot LOL)

It has happened to me too....when I have a long post - I use Word as suggested above...

From my super secret control panel.....

Session Timeout
This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

This is set to 900 seconds (15 minutes).
It's a setting I am comfortable with so if you time out you need to find a work around....the MS word one is best.

sorry for the inconvenience.

As always Sling,
Thanks for the info

BTW, as I mentioned in another thread, I have switched to firefox. Among the many downloads they have, one is a free addon you can download for spell checking, with multiple dictionaries. Works great on here, and highlights the text in red just like word, and further allows you to right click for word recommendations. They have another that allows you select a word or phrase and plug it into many user defined search engines including google, dictionary, thesaurus, or even things such as Youtube. Works great if you use Foxytunes and want to see the music video on Youtube. Unfortunately I tried to modify it to work on vBulletin and do searches from shottalk, but didn't get it to work. Yet :)

For long posts I usually write it out in "Word" (the word processor) to check spelling etc. as shot talk lacks a spell checker :hunter: (cheap shot LOL)

Actually, there is a spell checker on Shottalk. When you go to post there is an icon that says "ABC" over a blue check mark. You have to install it, but it works just fine. I use it at home, but not at work as I will not install anything on the comp at work. If my spelling sucks, I must have posted at work :D

goes. First, I have no great knowledge of computers. I like writing stuff for this forum, but it is quite often that I will write something and when I go to submit it, I am told that I have not logged in, which I have. The only thing left of what I have written will be the title. I might type it over, and submit it with no problem. Lately, I will type it again only to find that I have not logged in, which I have. Frustrating is putting it lightly. Can anyone tell what is going on? Sincerely, Cypressperch

I have had something like that happen on a watercraft form. After I would "logon", the "thank you for log on" message would appear. Here's the weird part- if I tried to post, it would tell me that I was not on. Go figure.
All that happened while using internet explorer. Tried using Safari and it never happened again. Oh, and it only happens from my lap top, never from the desk top. I have not had that problem on this site though.

Actually, there is a spell checker on Shottalk. When you go to post there is an icon that says "ABC" over a blue check mark. You have to install it, but it works just fine. I use it at home, but not at work as I will not install anything on the comp at work. If my spelling sucks, I must have posted at work :D
\\

How do I install spell checker?

\\

How do I install spell checker?

Hit the ABC checkmark button, if it is not already installed it will prompt you to install it.

ualtim

Thanks Tim...I feel real stupid!!! I missed it the first time..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520