• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ice fishing

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got back earlier today from an ice fishing weekend up at the family cabin. Every winter, a number of us (me, my dad, a couple of uncles, various cousins and other friends) gather at our cabin and the lakes around it for the annual "Pike Hunt." I haven't been able to make it since '06, when I caught only one fish (about a 26" Northern).

We got up on Thursday and fished until sundown on a lake very close to the cabin, with little success. Still, we had some brilliant weather which made the scenery worth waiting for the tip-ups to fly.

Friday we fished a different lake, and had better success (I had about 10 tip-ups, but only reeled in 2 fish; my dad's friend Harley had about 20 tip-ups and 5 fish or so). Still beautiful weather (sunny, mid-30's).

On Saturday we fished the same lake as Friday, with further success. Maybe it's because the weather was not as kindly (mid-30's, but cloudy with brisk winds). I had fewer tip-ups, but reeled in a nice bass on almost every one (caught four total, kept 3). Before I got onto the lake, one of our friend's kid reeled in a nice 32" Nothern, which was joined by five others throughout the day (mostly Harley's). Overall, we caught probably 15 or so fish, but only kept a handful which were divided up among the group.

Overall it was a great weekend. Terrific weather for the most part, good people, really good food, and lots of beer (I haven't drank that much PBR since college).

Some pics:

(first pic is me holding up my first bass of the day)
(second pic is the group of fish I caught)
DSCN0028.jpg
DSCN0031.JPG

Sounds like a good time. I didn't go once this year. Usually I'm good for a trip or two with my neighbor.

Those aren't fish.....THIS is a fish!
20lb. 14 oz. caught on the Connecticut river 2 weeks ago.....that is not me btw.
dsouthpike.jpg

Those aren't fish.....THIS is a fish!
20lb. 14 oz. caught on the Connecticut river 2 weeks ago.....that is not me btw.

Damn....did he have to drill another hole to get it out of the water?

Last time I went ice fishing, I caught over 100 lbs of ice. My wife cooked it, and we almost drowned.

Explain to me how the prop pushes the boat across the ice? I've looked at my prop on my boat and just can't figure it out? :beach3:

Damn, that looks COLD! No thanks... ;)

All kidding aside, it sounds like a great time. I can't necessarily relate to the activity (born and raised in Southern Cal) but getting the guys of the family together is more what it is about.

no worries chemboy.
A few years ago Slingblade laboratories rigged up a solution for you soft water anglers who want to try ice fishing.

the set up is cheap but you will need a chase boat. :D
P1010086.jpg

no worries chemboy.
A few years ago Slingblade laboratories rigged up a solution for you soft water anglers who want to try ice fishing.

the set up is cheap but you will need a chase boat. :D

Oh man, I would be the envy of the trailer park with that set-up!

I dont fish when it gets below 65 degrees

Damn....did he have to drill another hole to get it out of the water?

when I go ICE fishing I drill 2 holes about 50 yards apart. Then with a chain saw I cut a slot between the holes. I just love trolling. Sitting on a bucket is so sedate!!!:)

Glad you had great time. The brew of choice was??????

when I go ICE fishing I drill 2 holes about 50 yards apart. Then with a chain saw I cut a slot between the holes. I just love trolling. Sitting on a bucket is so sedate!!!:)

Glad you had great time. The brew of choice was??????

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Ugh...I hadn't drank that much PBR since college; but just like college, after the first 7 or so, it doesn't matter how it tastes. If I had had my druthers, it would have been something like Boddington's or even Negra Modelo. But no one else would drink anything heavier (or more expensive) than PBR.

They still make PBR? :D And you should see some of the ice fishing "shanties" out there, heated by wood or LP stoves, gas cooking stoves etc etc. You set up tipups and go inside to drink beer and play cards. :)

They still make PBR? :D And you should see some of the ice fishing "shanties" out there, heated by wood or LP stoves, gas cooking stoves etc etc. You set up tipups and go inside to drink beer and play cards. :)

That would be fun, but with the way the fish were biting, we wouldn't have any time to play more than a hand.

Check this shanty out:
800px-Shanty_vista_(360282448).jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35