• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons for 12 year old

bigheaddaddy

Reaction score
My son started playing last summer with the Ping Moxie junior set, which are great beginner kids clubs. He is now 5' 1", 30.5 wrist to floor, and it's time for new irons. We tried adult mens clubs this weekend (Callaway 06), but they're too long and heavy. We had his driver swing speed measured today and he came in around 70mph.

We have considered US Kids Gold Tour Series (gold), but are also thinking about women's irons. The length of the US Kids Tour irons is the same (+/- 1/2 ") as Ping G5L and Callaway women's 06 models. I've also run across Ping I3 oversize irons with A flex steel shafts.

Finding clubs for tweens (not Jr - not adult) is tough. Anyone been in this situaton or have any advice?

when I was at that size I played ladies clubs - swingspeed, length, weight

if you find the right set and clean out the girly paintfill with some acetone or even add some blue/black paintfill, you'll have a nice set for a couple years

the other option is to go see a professional clubfitter who can fit him and build clubs accordingly. A lot of the fitters like to see kids coming back every year or so to make sure their stuff still fits properly - it's easy to make tweaks here or there and you'll know your son is playing the equipment that fits him best vs trying to swing something that's too long, too short, too heavy or too light - if you go this route, I'd also highly recommend looking into True Length Technology (TLT)
good luck

My 13 yr. old is playing the US Kids Tour Series Red (60-41...he's short). So far he's had his first hole-in-one, made the middle school golf team as a 7th grader, has qualified for every match and been in the top 4 scores 3 of 5 matches. He loves his clubs and he's the only kid on the team playing them.

I highly recommend them. Plus, I think you'll spend less on the full set, bag, and the additional driver than you will buying adult clubs.

The pro at my club recommended this route to me. He doesn't sell US Kids, and I was trying to buy from him. He told me regardless of what the other boys are playing, at his age/size this was best.

Hope that all helps!

I just bought a set of "teen" clubs for my boy who turned 12 last week. Bought them off ebay, and got them for a fantastic price.

Not exactly a name brand like the Ping Moxies, but what kid would not want a 460 CC square driver?

I was a bit skeptical at first, but did some research. The shafts are made in the USA by True Temper. The Grips are pristine, and on straight, shaft labels in place, etc. The bag is very light, and has more pockets than you could ever need, and it's a stand bag as well.

13 degree Driver, a 3 Wood (sorry, don't recall the loft), a 25 degree hybrid, 7 Iron, 9 Iron, Wedge and Putter. He has a US Kids Golf 5 iron that fits him perfectly, so no need for one in the set. The set included matching headcovers, and a great bag. The graphite shafts on the woods seem like a great flex for him, and overall the clubs have a nice feel to them, not too heavy, not too light and whiplike either. He'll have them for a few years until he gets close to HS golf, and I'll get him another set then. Sure, they are a bit "knockoff-ish" but I'm pleased as hell with my purchase.

$46 (yes... for ALL)
$29 Shipping

Look up "Precise" +"Teen" +"golf" or some similar search on the bay. PM me if you want to know the actual name of the seller.

I saw these exact sets in an ad in the back of Golf Digest or Golf Magazine, so I pulled the trigger. I saved about $125 when compared to the Walter Hagen Teen Sets at Dick's Sporting Goods, and saved $200 when compared to the Moxies or the Callaways. He has room to grow into these as well, as he's chocked up a bit to get the right lie angle at this point.

With the money I saved I got him shoes, a dozen Titleists So-Lo's (even 12 year olds can be persuaded by advertising) a Titty hat, shirt, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520