• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

just came off of a launch monitor.. need advice

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Reaction score
Just went down to golfsmith on my lunch break and hit up the launch monitor. I was hitting a taylormade r7 and getting the foolowing

swingspeed- 90 avg.
ball speed 137 avg
spin- 4500-5500
launch- 14-15* avg

total distance was roughly 230yds with 215 carry.

Anything i can do to get more distance?

Anything i can do to get more distance?

Swing faster :)

actually, getting ball speeds of 137 with a 90mph swing (1.52 smash factor) isn't supposed to be possible

I don't have the software in front of me, but my initial take is that the launch angle looks pretty good, but that the spin rate looks higher than I'm used to seeing for a 90mph swingspeed

is that truly the answer? or would i need more/less spin etc..

it wasa n 11.5 loft reg flex if that means anything...

less spin generally only helps high ballspeed players - spin is a good thing for the average player because the ball stays in the air longer - it covers more ground flying than it does rolling

if you played really hard fairways, you'd consider going towards a lower spin rate to possibly get a lower angle of decent to pick up some roll, but for the average player, you're best off focusing on maximizing carry (IMO anyway)

For your ss 2400-2800 somewhere. About half of what you're getting. Otherwise you lose distance big time. :)

without changing your swing....not much
You could go to a lower loft, but it will lower your launch angle and probably not make much difference
I think each degree of loft is approx 400rpm or something - based on a level angle of attack
Swinging slower would lower the spin rate too, but that won't help distance either
Playing a lower spin ball is an option too

so basically- i need to get my swing speed up to get more distance and im maxxed out

so what can i do to bring thiose spin numbers down?

Tee it higher and use less loft. With a 135 mph ballspeed, I would think 3200-3600 rpm of spin would be best.

You're launch angle is good. Going to a 10.5 degree would lower launch and spin slightly. I'd say go with a 10.5, and learn to hit it higher.

EDIT: Lowering your spin rate is only going to increase your distance by maybe 5 yards. Lower spin is way overrated, IMO. If you want to hit it farther, you need to swing faster and continue hitting the middle of the club face. 1.52 smash is possible. Its called "rate of closure" I'll explain it again if anyone wants to know.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520