• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LOOK, another shaft question.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st off let me get this out of the way by stating I don't know jack about shafts other than they come in varying flex's. I currently have a TM R7 460 with a Grafalloy blue shaft in it....not sure what the flex is or even if that shaft comes in different flex's. My swing speed is in the upper 80's to low 90's & I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

What would be a good shaft to utilize, what flex should I use...I figure Regular...& what should be the installed length?

I'm 6'3" & from the ground to my wrist is about 34.5".

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

1 other ?, when length of a club is mentioned how is that measured? Is it from the end of the grip to the top of the hosel?

probably not enough info to make a good recommendation - the Blue plays pretty stiff though - a Reg flex Blue is often like a stiff in some other shafts (in my opinion anyway)

are you more of a swinger or a hitter? is the transition from backswing to downswing violent or smooth? how about your tempo?

what kind of yardage and ball flight are you getting out of your current setup?

based on your wrist to floor (WTF) Wishon only recommends ~43.5-44" driver measured from the end to the ground

Currently I am hitting it between 210-230, that's carry only since roll doesn't mean anything. Flight pattern I feel is too high, seems like it goes up almost as much as it goes out at times. Oh yea forgot that it's a 9.5º loft.

In regrads to these questions...."are you more of a swinger or a hitter? is the transition from backswing to downswing violent or smooth? how about your tempo?"

I honestly don't know.

1st off let me get this out of the way by stating I don't know jack about shafts other than they come in varying flex's. I currently have a TM R7 460 with a Grafalloy blue shaft in it....not sure what the flex is or even if that shaft comes in different flex's. My swing speed is in the upper 80's to low 90's & I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

What would be a good shaft to utilize, what flex should I use...I figure Regular...& what should be the installed length?

I'm 6'3" & from the ground to my wrist is about 34.5".

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

1 other ?, when length of a club is mentioned how is that measured? Is it from the end of the grip to the top of the hosel?

I am about 6'3" and my wrist to floor is around 35". I have my irons at .75" over standard. I do that because it gives me a heavier feel and when I take my grip I naturally choke up. With standard length clubs this mad me hunch way over and it was killing my back.

As for the Graf blue, whether it is regular or stiff it probably is to stiff. no offense to you. I had one in stiff and it was like swing a 2x4. Although alot depends on your swing style. Are you a smooth swinger or do you really go at it from the top of your swing?

Chances are you would be better off pulling the Graf blue and putting something a little more user friendly in...

some of the other guys will know better, but 210-230 carry with a 9.5 lofted club and a 90mph swingspeed sounds pretty good to me

the ball most likely isn't going to high if you're getting that much carry out of a 9.5* head - typically people with 90mph swingspeeds need to increase loft to maximize distance

If you like the feel of your current shaft, i'd stick with it - if you're itching to change, you could experiment with others, but I'd keep the Blue close by in case you decide to change back

As for the Graf blue, whether it is regular or stiff it probably is to stiff. no offense to you. I had one in stiff and it was like swing a 2x4. Although alot depends on your swing style. Are you a smooth swinger or do you really go at it from the top of your swing?

Chances are you would be better off pulling the Graf blue and putting something a little more user friendly in...

No offense taken since I pretty much agree with this. I am thinking the shaft is simply too stiff for my swing. if I really try & crank on it though, usually I end up screwing up, so I tend to take it easy.

What shafts would you recommend?

1 other thing, I have never been on a launch monitor of any sort, the only guess I have about my swing speed is from one of those Speed Stik deals they have at a local shop. I wasn't swinging for the fences or anything since I was actually worried about possibly hitting something & breaking it.

I swing similarly to you. My SS is 90-95, and I try hard not to "go at it".

I tried stiff shafts. Couldn't get the distance I knew I was capable of. I tried regular shafts. Most of them were pretty inconsistant, i.e. my shots suddenly started spraying all over the place. Made me afraid to swing. I finally lucked into the UST Proforce V2 (67gram, regular-flex). It's driving a Mizuno MX-500 10.5-deg. head. I can swing this club and the ball goes straight. I find myself sometimes thinking that I didn't hit the ball well, then finding it 30 yards past where I thought it would be.

It might be worth a try.

Just got in from playing 18 after work. I absolutely could not get my TM to work for me at all, I think it's 100% mental because I am thinking about that damn shaft now. But I also carry an Adams driver with a regular flex shaft & I usually can hit that one well just not as far. yea I know 2 drivers is kinda weird to carry but I have been experimenting with which one works better for me.

Anyways I gave up on the TM after the front 9 & used just the Adams on the back 9. Out of 7 drives where I used it 6 where on the fairway & sitting at 200+. One actually made it 210 yds into a pretty strong headwind, another one I must have gotten lucky with & got it to carry exactly to the the 100 yd marker on a 349 yd hole.....dont know how in the hell I managed a 249 yd carry.

Anyhoo, I am going to get the TM re shafted & then try again.
Anyone know what the tip size is on the R7 460?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520