• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Losing Weight.

Good luck with the quitting. <SOOTHING, voice hypnotic>You will do this. the cravings will diminish. You will win.

Seriously, good on you.

I hope so. Right now I'm keeping Nicorette gum in business.

Hey, as a vet, you have access to drugs. Just trade one addiction for another. Problem solved. :D

i quit chewing about 8 yrs ago.i think that helped me pack on a few pounds also.went from 2 1/2-3 cans a day and quit cold turkey.but i also started eating more.

so i know it will be tuff but hang in there.

I hope so. Right now I'm keeping Nicorette gum in business.

I am close to a year without having a ciggie. Thought about it earlier after I'd been to the club for a few bevvies. Never once thought about having a smoke. Have beaten it for defs. Have had a few joints and cigars, but am v. proud for not giving in....for once !!! :)

Alcohol is my biggest enemy. I love Beer, but I have noticed if I don't drink for a month or 2 I drop almost 10 lbs. Like these guys have said just watch your carbs and get lots of exercise. You don't have to waste money on a gym membership. Do some light jogging (don't hurt yourself) or some bike riding. Also when you golf, walk to the course instead of getting a cart.

i quit chewing about 8 yrs ago.i think that helped me pack on a few pounds also.went from 2 1/2-3 cans a day and quit cold turkey.but i also started eating more.

so i know it will be tuff but hang in there.

Holy Crap dude! I dip Copenhagen myself. I only go through a can every 2 days or so. If I dip a can in one day my mouth is so soar I can't eat. Could turkey is rough, I have tried that before after about a week, I can't stand it anymore.

Alcohol is my biggest enemy. I love Beer, but I have noticed if I don't drink for a month or 2 I drop almost 10 lbs. Like these guys have said just watch your carbs and get lots of exercise. You don't have to waste money on a gym membership. Do some light jogging (don't hurt yourself) or some bike riding. Also when you golf, walk to the course instead of getting a cart.

Holy Crap dude! I dip Copenhagen myself. I only go through a can every 2 days or so. If I dip a can in one day my mouth is so soar I can't eat. Could turkey is rough, I have tried that before after about a week, I can't stand it anymore.

i could go thru a can in about 6 dips.so it doesnt take long to go yhru a couple cans a day.plus i worked outdoors so i was able to have a chew in all the time.i wouldnt go more then 30 min. without a chew.

Well, our metabolism slows down with age because we become too lazy and inactive. It doesn't have to like you said spank.

I lowered portions, especially at lunch where a bunch of us go out to eat every day. (Racine, Wis has some of the best restaurants on this planet). I also drink two bottled waters to one soda (can't stand diet soda so this is my "fix"). I've lost 5 lbs. this last month. I've only got 30 to go....

Doc, if you're quitting don't go through what I did last August on the golf course. If I hit a rotten shot or dubbed it I used to just light up and forget about it. It never hurt my score too badly. Last August I could not light up so I just smoldered inside at every bad shot, and they built and built until I got so furious I couldn't hit any shot. My scores skyrocketed until I figured out what was happening. I took a calm approach on bad hits and the scores dropped right back down. Smoking is a serious addiction.

:laugh:

i could go thru a can in about 6 dips.so it doesnt take long to go yhru a couple cans a day.plus i worked outdoors so i was able to have a chew in all the time.i wouldnt go more then 30 min. without a chew.

I am in the Army, so dipping or chewing is widely excepted pretty much everywhere. Even though I work in an office I have a dip in all day. 6 dips out of a can damn, you must not have been dipping Copenhagen. I know when I dip skoal I can't help but shove in a big dip. It is a nasty habit though. What cracks me up is when smokers tell me dipping is a nasty habit. Neither one is better then the other.

I am in the Army, so dipping or chewing is widely excepted pretty much everywhere. Even though I work in an office I have a dip in all day. 6 dips out of a can damn, you must not have been dipping Copenhagen. I know when I dip skoal I can't help but shove in a big dip. It is a nasty habit though. What cracks me up is when smokers tell me dipping is a nasty habit. Neither one is better then the other.

yeah i was a skoal chewer although i occasionaly used cope & sometimes redman just to switch it up.my father always told me to quite chewing and take up smoking because it was less disgusting.my answer was that with chewing atleast i would be able to breath my whole life.that was the end of that argument.

Back to loosing weight, put your self on a regular exercise program, and watch what you eat. Try not to loose more then a pound a week. Don't skip meals, just eat smaller portions. Try to make your biggest meal Lunch and have a light dinner. If you plan to have a big dinner, try to eat it before 6pm and eat a lighter lunch that day. Drink lots of water and cut back on soda, beer, and sugar drinks.

The most overlooked aspect of losing weight, is drinking water. Lots and lots of water. Drinking lots of water does serveral wonderful things...

-Makes you feel fuller through-out the day (after a couple weeks you'll feel full - less inclined to 'pig out', not bloated, so don't worry)
-Makes you retain LESS water! (Believe it or not)
-Less likely to get a cold or something similar
-Keeps you hydrated so your metabolism runs smoothly
-Clearer skin
-Cheap! Forget expensive diet foods and drinks, water is cheap!
-Flushes out toxins (sodium is flushed out by drinking water)
-Among many others

The most overlooked aspect of losing weight, is drinking water. Lots and lots of water. Drinking lots of water does serveral wonderful things...

-Makes you feel fuller through-out the day (after a couple weeks you'll feel full - less inclined to 'pig out', not bloated, so don't worry)
-Makes you retain LESS water! (Believe it or not)
-Less likely to get a cold or something similar
-Keeps you hydrated so your metabolism runs smoothly
-Clearer skin
-Cheap! Forget expensive diet foods and drinks, water is cheap!
-Flushes out toxins (sodium is flushed out by drinking water)
-Among many others

The reason it makes you retain less water is because your body is getting enough water, so it doesn't need to store it. Your goal if for your urine to be clear every time you pee.

Same thing with eating, you don't want to stop eating, cause then your body will start storing fat when you do eat.

I lost about 20 pounds in 6 weeks doing the South beach diet (from 225 to 205). It was hard for about 4 days, then I got used to it. the main thing about this diet is no carbs (rice, potatoes, breads, flour, pancakes, cake, waffles, pizza, sugar, starches, fatty foods). Sounds hard to give up that stuff, but they do allow meat and cheese. So I basically ate deli slices of turkey along with all I could eat salad. The drawback of the diet is the lack of energy for exercise at first, so eating some carbs before working out is a must...

well that was last August, and I am now around 211, eating crap all of the time, however I got it inot my head that carbs = bad so I try not to over do it. What also helped was having LOTS of peanuts, and other healthy snacks around to keep me out of the cookie jar. Ill probably do South Beach again pretty quick, since my wedding is in a few months and I dont want to be referred to as teh slob standing next to the bride.

Set aside one hour every day, if possible, or even a couple times a week, for excersize.

In the span of an hour I will run 2 miles, do triple digit situps and push-ups. Just that helps sooo much, and I know sometimes this isn't always easy, but baby steps.

Also I can usually do the previously stated without actually using the whole hour, but good ol excersize.

In the morning, instead of coffee have an apple and maybe some caffeinated tea. For food, more fruits and vegetables. Doesn't mean it doesn't have to taste good. Pineapple, apples, bananas, all fruits are great. For vegetables, I'm very partial to tomatoes, there is so much you can do with them. But less meats, more grains/fruits/vegetables.

Though I don't eat them anymore, I make completely from scratch salsa and used to use salt-less chips. A little snacky, but better for you than a candy bar. Find a snack food or something that is good and good for you, preferably something that you can make from scratch.

Eat at regular times and have your largest meal at lunch, or early afternoon. If you eat a lot before bed it'll almost all turn into faat because of a dormant digestive system during sleep. Regiment your meals and when you have them.

In todays world it certainly isn't easy, but, if you can slowly work, I think these basic things should work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520