• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Match tactics

Play your own game kid. All that other crap is distracting to what you are trying to achieve which is to outplay your opponent. As Seve once said "I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you.' "

1. Know the Rules of Golf. Carry a Rules book in your bag. Pay extremely close attention to your competitor and call him on any infringement. If he knows that you know the Rules better than he does, that will make him nervous.
2. After the greeting on the first tee box, do not speak to him again except for what is specifically related to the match. He will try to get into your head and attempt to find out your experience. Don't give him any openings to know anything more about you than how you play hole to hole.
3. Are you playing stroke play or match play? There are different Rules that apply to each type of play. Know the difference. Gamesmanship is far easier in match play than in stroke play.
4. Be courteous. Use proper golf etiquette. Then, politely call him on any breech of etiquette on his part. Shadow where you can see it... Not marking his ball on every green... Where he stands on the tee box... "Sir, I hate being a pest. Can you please move behind me or to the left? Thank you!" Killing with kindness can make a player more nervous than being an a**h**e!! We are used to dealing with a**es and love beating them. We aren't used to seeing those who are extremely polite and we don't know how to deal with it.
5. Vary your speed of play, once you find your competitor's rhythmn. If he is a quick player, don't cause noticable delay, but take a couple extra practice swings, etc. to slow down the pace. If he is methodical, move off the tee box quickly as if he is slowing down the match. This can be done so it is not readily identifiable as gamesmanship. Just vary your speed enough to throw off his ideal pace of play.
6. Never identify what club you hit. If the competitor asks, do not tell him. Simply say, "I don't hit my irons very long, so I would hate to give you bad advice." OTOH, when you hit a sweet 8-iron to pin high, say to yourself loudly enough for him to hear "Boy, I stroked that 7-iron well."

Again, golf is a game of gentlemen. Keep your shirttail in. Look like you know the game and appreciate the game. A Saturday round at the club can be when you socialize. If you are playing competitively, keep it as such. Let your clubs do the talking for you.

If you have a nice beer belly, just lift your shirt up every once in a while when.your opponent is reading their putt and just molest your belly button while looking at them in a creepy way.

1. Know the Rules of Golf. Carry a Rules book in your bag. Pay extremely close attention to your competitor and call him on any infringement. If he knows that you know the Rules better than he does, that will make him nervous.
2. After the greeting on the first tee box, do not speak to him again except for what is specifically related to the match. He will try to get into your head and attempt to find out your experience. Don't give him any openings to know anything more about you than how you play hole to hole.
3. Are you playing stroke play or match play? There are different Rules that apply to each type of play. Know the difference. Gamesmanship is far easier in match play than in stroke play.
4. Be courteous. Use proper golf etiquette. Then, politely call him on any breech of etiquette on his part. Shadow where you can see it... Not marking his ball on every green... Where he stands on the tee box... "Sir, I hate being a pest. Can you please move behind me or to the left? Thank you!" Killing with kindness can make a player more nervous than being an a**h**e!! We are used to dealing with a**es and love beating them. We aren't used to seeing those who are extremely polite and we don't know how to deal with it.
5. Vary your speed of play, once you find your competitor's rhythmn. If he is a quick player, don't cause noticable delay, but take a couple extra practice swings, etc. to slow down the pace. If he is methodical, move off the tee box quickly as if he is slowing down the match. This can be done so it is not readily identifiable as gamesmanship. Just vary your speed enough to throw off his ideal pace of play.
6. Never identify what club you hit. If the competitor asks, do not tell him. Simply say, "I don't hit my irons very long, so I would hate to give you bad advice." OTOH, when you hit a sweet 8-iron to pin high, say to yourself loudly enough for him to hear "Boy, I stroked that 7-iron well."

Again, golf is a game of gentlemen. Keep your shirttail in. Look like you know the game and appreciate the game. A Saturday round at the club can be when you socialize. If you are playing competitively, keep it as such. Let your clubs do the talking for you.
Thanks a million! I knew the first two, and I do keep my book in my bag. One of the kids on my team calls me rules douche, because I don't let people ignore even the small things. And yes it is match play.

I also like that pace of play one, I'll try that out.

5. Vary your speed of play, once you find your competitor's rhythm. If he is a quick player, don't cause noticeable delay, but take a couple extra practice swings, etc. to slow down the pace. If he is methodical, move off the tee box quickly as if he is slowing down the match. This can be done so it is not readily identifiable as gamesmanship. Just vary your speed enough to throw off his ideal pace of play.

This is a good one Limp. I played a semi-final of our CC this year. My opponent was in a cart. Only players with medical exemptions get to use carts in competitive play at our club, so it is fairly unusual. This guy had an ankle problem. Anyway I was about to tee off when I met a friend who had played him in one of the previous rounds. His advice, don't speed up to try and keep up with him; play at your own pace. He reckoned he was trying to keep up and was standing over the ball breathless each time. Sure enough as soon as he teed off the first he took off up to his drive. My instinct was to rush down the fairway after him. I had to stop myself and go at my own speed. It's weird, he's miles ahead of me on every hole, standing beside his ball. It worked though. But it wasn't gamesmanship, just simple strategy.

I do subtle things when I'm gambling. On a tight driving hole I might say, "This is a tough tee shot for me, that fairway is tiny.". It's my way of putting negative thoughts into my competitors head. I like to point out the difficulty of a shot, but I do it in an indirect way.

It helps to know your competitor. I have a buddy that has a big ego...especially when it comes to strength. He's a big guy , gym rat. One time during a close match with him, I told him that so-and-so drove a ball over the lake and onto a green and sure enough he put his iron up, grabbed his driver and hit a ball into the water. It was great, lol. Another guy that was playing with us told me he knew what I did and we got a big chuckle out of it.

I never concede a putt unless it's stupid short and then I'll go ahead and say "that's good" before they can tap it in, lol. I'm ruthless when it comes to putting. It doesn't bother me to win a match because someone missed a 2 footer, that's golf. When I'm betting against someone, they are the enemy and I want to destroy them....in the politest way possible.

The best way to get in someone's head is with your golf game. Good scrambling can do wonders because it's a momentum killer. If a guy thinks he has you beat on a hole, then you hit a great trouble shot to seal a par, it can break their heart. Likewise with putting, if I drain a par putt that is sitting outside of their birdie putt, all of a sudden their birdie putt gets a lot harder....and if they miss then you have all the momentum, even though it was a push.

*checks thread title...

6. Never identify what club you hit. If the competitor asks, do not tell him.
As far as I know that's illegal, and if so, would result in the loss of the hole.

As far as I know that's illegal, and if so, would result in the loss of the hole.
Asking what club they hit is illegal. You can't get info from anyone but a caddy. Refusing to say what club you hit isn't a penalty though, right?

Last edited:
*checks thread title...

A number of folks will refer to any competition as a "match"... not knowing there is a significant difference between match play and stroke play.

I like what Limp and IG said. I've never played match. I may do one day. Golf is a gentleman's game. I don't think Matchplay should be some exception where shenanigans can take place. Just go out and beat your opponent fair and square.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520