Michele Wie, Again.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the other day Michele Wie added several events to her schedule. She won the local qualifier for the US Open (Men's) and is on to the sectionals, she was awarded a spot in the US Woman's Open based on her status of would have been qualified if she was on the LPGA tour with her winnings. and she was awarded a sponsors exemption to the European Masters (sponsered by Omega which happens to be one of Michele's sponsors.)

Current defending US Open champ Michael Cambell is against her accepting the invitation/playing in the European Masters as it is taking away a spot from a touring pro (sounds like the Vijay/Anika rif from the Colonial a few years ago.) Adding the European Masters will give Wie at least one event played on every major professional tour and thus setting a record that will likely not be matched anytime soon.

Is this a good thing? Thoughts/opinions?

Have you noticed that right now when Michelle Wie is everywhere, that Eldrick Woods is nowhere to be seen?

Are we sure that Michelle is actually a 16 year-old female, and not Eldrick in drag? Has anyone actually seen them together in the same golf cart?

It would explain a lot..................

My opinion on Michele Wie is she is young, talented and most importanatly capable of beating alot of men that play on the european tour therefore deserving of her place in the European Masters.On the other hand I would like to see her play in the LPGA just to see how she does compared to the other gal's.
And speaking for most teenage boys I hope she isnt Tiger in drag.

SiberianDVM said:
Are we sure that Michelle is actually a 16 year-old female, and not Eldrick in drag? Has anyone actually seen them together in the same golf cart?

I have seen both their legs. They are NOT the same. One even has more hair (I'm not telling which :) )

Michelle Wie is good for the game of golf.
Tiger Woods is good for the game of golf.
Irish Golfer is good for some laughs, a beer or three and the occasional game of golf.

'Nuff Said.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with it. If she qualifies, she qualifies.

The sponsors can do what they want with their exemptions. I'm sure she'll being enough notoriety to the Euro Masters, and that's why they did it. More eyeballs mean ratings and more sponsor money. If this becomes commonplace with her, and she does nothing with the exemptions--ie fails to make a cut--then it will lose its novelty and she won't get them anymore.

I think guys like Steve Duemig (TGC, GG 19th hole) are close on mysogynistic with this issue. His former stance was "she needs to qualify." Now, he's back to "she should win on the women's tour."

She should do what she wants. It's her money, after all.

I think Duemig's just pissed that she's got NIKE! Well, that and the fact that she'd kick HIS ass all over the course. ;)

That whole line that Vijay, and now Campbell, take about it taking a spot away from a touring pro is just hooie. If the guys that Annika/Wie are taking spots from were that good, they wouldn't need an exemption, they'd already be exempt.

Would the general public possibly buy more tickets to come see Wie play, or some European journeyman that's ranked 250+ in the world? For the sponsor, I don't even think the decision is close.

Have you noticed how there hasn't been a lot of Morgan Pressel talk lately? Where are her quotes? Oh, that's right. She's 32nd on the money list and has played 7 events. Michelle would be 13th on the money list in two events if I'm not mistaken. No big uproar from Pressel over Wie's exemption into the women's open. Not a big surprise, as Wie would be exempt if she had status on the LPGA.

I love that Michelle has big dreams and keeps challenging herself against the men. I hope she does qualify for the men's US Open, and really, there is no reason to think that she won't. The only way she won't is if she throws up on herself I feel. The more she plays with the men, the less this will happen. She won't feel any nerves after a while, unless she starts thinking about history.

She was in the final pairing at the US Women's Open last year and took the time to think about it, got nervous, and hit all manner of shitty shots. It can happen to anyone. Look at Gore and Goosen last year. Once you start thinking about the history of doing something, the pressure comes down on you even more.

But Michelle was in a different place then. She was an amatuer and there were a lot of questions up in the air about what her future would be.

Now she's a pro and has more money than she'll ever need. She's made a cut against men overseas. She won a local qualifer against men. Her only job is to get better at golf. She's made $180,000 on the LPGA in two weeks this year. I won't make that in 3 YEARS! :)

I fully encourage her to keep trying. I always want to know where she stands in a tourney.

I just think that eventually, she'll be sick of being a journeyman on the PGA tour, or the Nationwide tour. I don't think she'll ever be a top player, or even 2nd or 3rd tier on the PGA Tour. I think she'll be able to play well enough, in time, to keep her card on the PGA Tour if that's the route she wants to go. But after a few years of missed cuts and early weekend tee times, I'm sure she'll realize her calling is to try to become the best ever on the LPGA.

Tiger never got to play with Nicklaus in his prime. Unless Annika has totally lost it, Wie will get MANY opportunities to play with the "best ever" in her prime. When she gets into her 20's, I imagine Wie will start looking at Annika's accomplishments, and start knocking away at them one by one. Making $70-80k a week on the LPGA sounds like a lot more fun than making 5K a week making cuts on the PGA.

Right now though, she's a kid. She has her dreams and the corporate financial backing, and encouragement, to chase them. When she gets older, she'll realize that it is really, really difficult to play in the Masters. You have to be really, really, really good to do it. Once she gives up on that dream, she will absolutely dominate the LPGA. Moreso than Sorenstam. Moreso than Woods on the PGA circa 2000-2002.

Personally, I hope she does play well enough somewhere to get an exemption to the Masters. And I absolutely KNOW CBS does too. NBC is just frothing at the mouth hoping she makes it into the US Open. She won't make the cut, but my guess is that it will be the best ratings ever for Thurs/Fri coverage. Especially if she can keep it close to the cut line.

She drives ratings and creates interest wherever she plays. That's superstardom in a nutshell. It won't be until her 20's that it starts to fade if she never wins anything.

In my opinion, Wie is the greatest thing to hit golf since Tiger. Although she lacks the amateur wins that Woods attained, she has advanced beyond him professionally in some ways. Instead of sticking to the amateur circuits, Michele has tested herself against prfessionals at every level available. Granted, Tiger is not about to play a Nationwide event or an LPGA event any time soon, but I find it amazing that someone could play on so many different tours with better than expected success. She has not won, but for a 16 year old to perform to the levels she has is still amazing regardless if she is male or female. To have the mental toughness to perform at the highest levels at such a young age is just beyond my comprehension.

I don't think that Wie will ever give up or dream of playing in the Masters, but now that she is a pro it will be a tougher road to travel. The amateur exemptions would have been the easiest way in as a good week would net you an exemption. As a pro, she is going to have to compete regulary on the men's tour and either get into the top 16 or so in a major or make enough money to get into the upper portion of the world rankings. Even winning on the tour will not get you into the Masters anymore. While I think that Wie will play the LPGA full time for a while once they let her in, I fully expect that she will eventually try and play with the men full time on the PGA Tour so that she can try and attain her dream.

I say go for it Michele...let her see how far she can go.

I think it's fair play to her or anyone else good enough to qualify for an event. Also sponsers pay all that money for media coverage of an event so they have the right to get as much press as possible and if that means inviting the best up and coming teenager to an event then thats there choice, even if that teenager happens to be female.

Even the coffin dodgers at the R&A have opened qualifying for The Open up to women.

The only thing that concerns me is what if the shorter hitting men on tour like Corey Pavin for example decide they could make an easyier living on the LPGA tour so decide to enter qualifying for LPGA events would this be allowed? Or if Weetabix, the sponsers of the Ladies British Open throw him an invite would he be allowed to play? (I think not).

The only way to stop this continuing is if the PGA tour changed it's name to the MPGA tour, but I don't think they should. It's only going to be a good thing for golf if all the best players, regardless of there sex are competing against each other week in week out. Imagine if Michelle Wie becomes Tigers main rival on tour, all the hot young ladies who would decide to take the game up joining our clubs. I think I would probably start entering some mixed foursome tournaments!!!

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golflounge
Back