• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Bags are packed I'm ready to go

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
The countdown has begun, this time next week I'll be walking the hallowed fairways of the Old Course, St. Andrews - followed on Thursday by the champ course in Carnoustie (hosting the 2007 Open), plus 1 of the other 2 courses there, I'm thinking of splashing one in the water on the 18th like Jean van de Velde to see if I can get up and down for the championship.

The itinerary for the other 3 days is loose, so it'll most likely be the other 4 courses in St. Andrews. I got in some much needed links practice last Saturday, with a 2nd place finish from 72 starters in The European Club, where it blew a gale, yeah IG even worse than Portstewart !!, came home in 84 which as it stands ranks in the top 3 of my alltime rounds, not scorewise but pure technical execution of shots.

Needless to say plenty of pics will be posted in the gallery ...

Dave, that sounds like an outstanding trip. We'll all be looking forward to pics and commentary.

Jealous? Oh yeah. :)

DaveE said:
Dave, that sounds like an outstanding trip. We'll all be looking forward to pics and commentary.

Jealous? Oh yeah. :)

Yeah Dave, sounds great doesn't it ... some of the guys have been over previously so they know the lie of the land, so to speak. One of the other guys knows the caddiemaster in Carnoustie, so he managed to pull that rabbit out of the hat.

Speaking of jealousy, I'd give it all up to have beaten IG in the Shottalk Championsips !! I'm sure yer town is proud of ya !!, is there a celebration day in your honor yet ?? :D

Dave Ireland said:
Speaking of jealousy, I'd give it all up to have beaten IG in the Shottalk Championsips !! I'm sure yer town is proud of ya !!, is there a celebration day in your honor yet ?? :D

Oh sure, they're changing the name of the town to Daveville. :p

It's too bad everyone lives so far apart because it would be fun to have these matches more often. That 84 you scored would've won it easy the day we played. Noone was really on their game.

Dave:

Please post your pics...I am still sick that I could not go with my friends there last year..they said it was the trip of a lifetime.

Outstanding trip Dave, good on ya.

Sounds like good shootin' round The European. Winter practice paying off?

All 4 are well worth playing at St. A (not including The Old)

• Eden - good layout, great greens, some cracking holes
  • New - Harder than the Old, much more variation - when you walk off 18 just remember some Danish dude lipped out on the last for a 59 in the St. Andrews trophy a few years ago!! That should blow your mind!
  • Jubilee - Again harder than the Old. Some good par 5s.
  • Starthtryum - A fun course. Lots of driveable par 4s but with horrendous greens. No push-over but a good way to relax.

I also played the Dukes - its about 3-4 miles from St.Andrews. In no way links but very tough and long. Worth it to get the T-shirt!

I hear nothing but good things about the likes of Kingsbarns and St. Andrews Bay, but they are all fairly pricey.

Still, no doubt you are off drink for Lent, so the money you save on the Swalley can be put towards the golf, right?

Knock yourself out!!!

Bravo said:
Dave:

Please post your pics...I am still sick that I could not go with my friends there last year..they said it was the trip of a lifetime.

You can count on that Bravo . there's a great buzz going around the guys at the moment, tho I think the conditions/scoring last Saturday in the European Club has tempered that somewhat ... big bet games for 4 days ... I'll either pay for the holiday from my winnings or pay for everybody elses !!

IrishGolfer said:
Outstanding trip Dave, good on ya.

Sounds like good shootin' round The European. Winter practice paying off?

All 4 are well worth playing at St. A (not including The Old)

• Eden - good layout, great greens, some cracking holes
  • New - Harder than the Old, much more variation - when you walk off 18 just remember some Danish dude lipped out on the last for a 59 in the St. Andrews trophy a few years ago!! That should blow your mind!
  • Jubilee - Again harder than the Old. Some good par 5s.
  • Starthtryum - A fun course. Lots of driveable par 4s but with horrendous greens. No push-over but a good way to relax.

I also played the Dukes - its about 3-4 miles from St.Andrews. In no way links but very tough and long. Worth it to get the T-shirt!

I hear nothing but good things about the likes of Kingsbarns and St. Andrews Bay, but they are all fairly pricey.

Still, no doubt you are off drink for Lent, so the money you save on the Swalley can be put towards the golf, right?

Knock yourself out!!!

Thanks for the heads up IG - I think the basic plan is to play The Old & Carnoustie, then there's a 3 day ticket which entitles you to unlimited golf on the other courses in St. Andrews for the princely sum of £ 86. The Dukes appeals just to get away from links golf for a day .. I'll ask the lads if there's any interest.

I employed my squad rotation policy in The European Club last Saturday, took out the lob wedge and replaced it with 3 iron, and it didn't let me down. the wind was blowing North Easterly, so we were playing near enough straight into it, unlike PStewart which blew off the shoulder. 2 par 3's of 130 and 135, I hit 4 iron - stitched it on the 2nd to 3 feet. Then downwind, I drove into the greenside bunker on the 1st (started on 10), a smack of around 380 yards.

As I said earlier I think it was technically one of the best rounds I've ever played - fingers crossed it holds into next week, I'll be in touch with all the news. needless to say, yer still plodding around mid 70's huh ??

Dave Ireland said:
Thanks for the heads up IG - I think the basic plan is to play The Old & Carnoustie, then there's a 3 day ticket which entitles you to unlimited golf on the other courses in St. Andrews for the princely sum of £ 86. The Dukes appeals just to get away from links golf for a day .. I'll ask the lads if there's any interest.

I employed my squad rotation policy in The European Club last Saturday, took out the lob wedge and replaced it with 3 iron, and it didn't let me down. the wind was blowing North Easterly, so we were playing near enough straight into it, unlike PStewart which blew off the shoulder. 2 par 3's of 130 and 135, I hit 4 iron - stitched it on the 2nd to 3 feet. Then downwind, I drove into the greenside bunker on the 1st (started on 10), a smack of around 380 yards.

As I said earlier I think it was technically one of the best rounds I've ever played - fingers crossed it holds into next week, I'll be in touch with all the news. needless to say, yer still plodding around mid 70's huh ??

Good shootin' - but technical excellence? Geez, Dave I dunno, that's getting scary.

As for me, the new SC putta is already showing some positive signs and my ball striking is coming on. I played last Saturday at Glensheedy, Ballyliffin. What a course!! Fantastic layout, some great holes, a fine test for most clubs in the bag. Gotta be played in a strong breeze to appreciate. 140 yard 4 irons...fantastic!

Outside a couple of my normal brain farts, I got badly caught out in the bunkers. I've always figured I am a better than OK sand player. 3 times I had wiffs in the bunkers. My club just went clean under the ball. The sand was probably the finest powdery sand I have ever experienced. My low bounce CG10 (one dot) sand wedge was useless. I had to resort to trying to pick it out clean. Pity as it cost me a few points. I hit the ball great for a measly 31 points. On the plus side we got playing it for €35, a steal!!

Enjoy Scotland, but watch out for those Jocks and that ropey whisky!! They'll have you walking round with an inferiority complex in no time at all. Just remind them of the Triple Crown!

Technical excellence, insert the ball went where I aimed it !

Well there's something we have in common - Glashedy and European both designed by Pat Ruddy. The bunkers in European have railways sleepers in the face, so it's better to have a wiff at one than catch it thin and be wearing a pro V1 in yer eye socket !

You and yer ho'ing - an SC from ebay yeah ? - let's know when ya get tired of it - my only ho this year was a goretex baseball cap and hotpod gel handwarmers .. Irish weather huh ? will get plenty of use from handwarmers thru the summer ! Haven't seen the Kilted one around lately ... must organise a European qualifier for Dave's Shottalk championship

Dave Ireland said:
Haven't seen the Kilted one around lately ... must organise a European qualifier for Dave's Shottalk championship

He's up and moved to Singapore, talking about being in UK in late April / May and possibly looking for a game in Ireland. If you haven't turned pro between now an dthen give us a shout.

btw they will bury the SC with me!

IrishGolfer said:
...........btw they will bury the SC with me!

Just make sure yer Missus gives ya a nice big headstone, so as I can find ya ... grave robbing and poteen making is part of our heritage...

btw... you've proved on numerous occasions as to who the pro is !! .. I'd gladly settle to walk in yer shadow :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?