• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My thoughts while I work through reading Hogan's Five Lessons

The ball in the same position relative to the forward foot, but with a modified width stance depending on the club is how Jack Nicklaus played.
However, I'm not certain about how Hogan described the ball to be more centered with shorter irons with the same width stance.

RBB, when the left foot is open, it doesn't restrict the hip turn. On the contrary, it sets the hips to turn them more open.

And bd is right about that all the things described by Hogan can only be applied to his swing. If you have for example a neutral to strong grip, your swing will be entirely different.

Loop said:
RBB, when the left foot is open, it doesn't restrict the hip turn. On the contrary, it sets the hips to turn them more open.

quote]

I thought the book said if the right foot is open it resricts hip movement for a right handed player. I could be wrong I don't have the book handy. He said that some players have both feet in the open stance and he could'nt see how that would help them. I just bought the book. I have heard quite abit about it so I thought I would read it.

The left foot set up square (perp to the target line) restricts hip movement, and the 22* flare Hogan taught/used promoted a more free hip rotation through the ball. This is also one reason Hogan taught/used the square right foot at address; it keeps the hips from over-rotating in the backswing, promoting a more stable base and more stored power in the tension between lower body and the upper body.

The flared left foot went a long way to promote the fade Hogan wanted, since a more free hip action through the ball promotes a fade. A square foot restricts hip rotation and promotes a draw.

mont86 said:
I thought the book said if the right foot is open it resricts hip movement for a right handed player.

The right foot open actually allows your hips to turn more, which would result in less coil on the backswing. By keeping the right foot perpendicular to the line (in a right hander) it promotes a better coil, with your shoulders turning farther past your hips at the top.

How many people here keep their right elbow next to their body on the backswing? That has helped my consistancy at striking the ball.

I do. I don't think it's a movement that would help everyone, but for the Hoganesque swingers it is an essential IMHO. It helps keep the arms connected and coming back on plane.

bdcrowe said:
I do. I don't think it's a movement that would help everyone, but for the Hoganesque swingers it is an essential IMHO. It helps keep the arms connected and coming back on plane.

Thats is my biggest problem, is where the club ends up on the foreward swing. I don't seem to sway as much either if I keep my elbow close to the body.

Keeping the elbow close is essential, IMO. If you let your arms wander away from your body, you're going to lose most everything that's good.

Plus it's probably the biggest part of not slicing the ball. Hogan wanted a fade, but not a slice.

Yes, I think you'd be less likely to sway if your elbow stays close, because you won't be creating a center of gravity far away from your originating center of gravity at setup.

Of course, after impact your elbow can end up leaving the proximity of your body.

Okay, it came to me while I took my walk around the office complex after lunch. I was thinking more about the having the elbows pointed to the hips at address, and realized the key part to that is the left, or front, elbow turned in such a way. You can try it for yourself. Just use one arm at a time. First try your right, or back, arm with the elbow pointed at your hip, then start your right arm back on the backswing. You still can take your right elbow away from your body.

Then try it with the left arm, and you'll see what happens. By turning the arm that direction, it restricts the left arm from being able to lift away from the body, and is the key portion of Hogan's advice.

This opens up the possibility of tweaking, though. I can't try anything with it yet, since I'm still at work, but it may be possible to turn only the left elbow towards the hip. But I have no way of judging its effects yet, not until I get the chance to try it.

RBB,

I have my own personal view on the swing, and keeping the elbow closed isn't really essential, although it might for some players.
If you're having problem swaying your body right or left, even for 1 inch, try this drill.
Swing with your feet closed and glued together. You can only swing if you're in balance, and to do that, it isn't possible to have lateral motion. It'll also teach you the proper weight shift. After hitting a couple of balls, immediately take a normal or wider stance and swing at the ball.
Have fun :)

It was interesting, on Sunday, I was joined up with a novice to the game, a lefty, and at the third hole I attempted to show him the grip, along with advice about finding a copy of Hogan's book. There were still many more issues to address, but improving his grip on the club helped improve some his chances at striking the ball.

I'm finding the grip interesting. There are times when I get it very solid, and the feel is incredibly good. Yet other times I don't get the focus, I get distracted, and get lazy. Ugh. I spent time last evening working on it, and observing that when I get the grip solid, when I get it right, striking the ball becomes much more consistent, much better.

I need to make a point of it, at least for now, that I don't assume my stance to the ball without having locked the grip in properly.

Make grip, alignment, stance and posture a part of your preshot routing. Do them the same every time, in rthe same order every time. For instance:

Stand behind ball and get your line, imagine your shot, etc... Move in beside the ball and take a practice swing while imagining shot again. Take grip on club very deliberately. Move into the ball very deliberately. Set posture and alignment very deliberately. The same every time.

Do this for a month and report back your findings.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
It was interesting, on Sunday, I was joined up with a novice to the game, a lefty, and at the third hole I attempted to show him the grip, along with advice about finding a copy of Hogan's book. There were still many more issues to address, but improving his grip on the club helped improve some his chances at striking the ball.

I'm finding the grip interesting. There are times when I get it very solid, and the feel is incredibly good. Yet other times I don't get the focus, I get distracted, and get lazy. Ugh. I spent time last evening working on it, and observing that when I get the grip solid, when I get it right, striking the ball becomes much more consistent, much better.

I need to make a point of it, at least for now, that I don't assume my stance to the ball without having locked the grip in properly.

RBB:

While Hogan was actively on Tour, he was known to stay in his hotel room, whilst other players went out together at night socializing. It was a different era of professional golf - with lower payouts, no personal trainers and few coaches tagging along week to week.

As a result of this and due to Hogan's introverted personality, the players thought he was a jerk.

While they were out partying, Ben Hogan stayed in his room working at least 30 minutes EACH night on grip, stance and set-up. He was Obsessive-Compulsive about it.

So the moral of my story to you is - what you are trying to do is very worthwhile and takes a lot of discipline and practice to put into place permanently...but worth it.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
I've at least got the introverted personality down.

Then the OCD should be a snap! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423