• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nano Technology

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's metallurgy lesson number 61. I'm sure some of you have heard this term and in the case of golf equipment there are some balls and the Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT shaft with "carbon nano tubes".

In sports equipment the "carbon nano tubes" are the only thing you have to remember. They are "tubes" of arranged carbon atoms at a very tiny (nano) scale and are about 50,000 times smaller then the diameter of a human hair. They are also 100 times stronger then steel at 1/6th the weight!

What they are doing is putting these carbon nano tubes in the main graphite shaft material which increases the strength. This allows them to reduce the wall thickness of the shaft and the shaft will have much higher "spring back" characteristics.

Thought you all might want to be aware of another new technology that really works.

This is why I'm going to keep my Launcher and put one of these grafalloy shafts in it. After reading Rock's comments about the amazing Tour Edge Exotics driver with the NT shaft I just KNOW it's the shaft more then the head that's making it so long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

I've had the CompNT when it came out last year. Shafted on a generic head.
The feeling is great, and outcome is consistent.
It's slightly less stiffer than the blue, but Grafalloy are known to make stiffer shafts than other companies.
You can't go wrong with nano shafts. I'm waiting for the next model :)

I watched a program about evolution of NT and how they want to start implementing it into actual metals and create basically a flawless face for a driver. Which pretty much means that the entire face would react the same from shot hit on the heel, the toe or right on the screws. The simulation model they had was incredible. True, a sim only, but interesting nonetheless.

Cost? About $17,000 per head. I think we have a few years. :D

R35

Rockford35 said:
I watched a program about evolution of NT and how they want to start implementing it into actual metals and create basically a flawless face for a driver. Which pretty much means that the entire face would react the same from shot hit on the heel, the toe or right on the screws. The simulation model they had was incredible. True, a sim only, but interesting nonetheless.

Cost? About $17,000 per head. I think we have a few years. :D

R35

I'll take 2.

warbirdlover said:
Nano nano???

:dead:

Give it time, my man...eight hours does not mean that no one wants to reply...

If you need immediate satisfaction, start PM'ing people. I'm sure you'll get quicker responses - of some kind.

In the words of Master Po - "Patience, Grasshopper"

All I know, is that Star Trek was never the same after Geri Ryan left with her nano technology to become a school teacher.:confused:

I tried out said shaft, but found it a bit too soft in the 65S. I felt the mid-kick being a tad too promenint in it. Would like a go with the X Flex in the same light weight shaft..

The Grafalloy shaft program (other thread) recommended a stiff for me where I normally use a regular.

Andy_79 said:
I tried out said shaft, but found it a bit too soft in the 65S. I felt the mid-kick being a tad too promenint in it. Would like a go with the X Flex in the same light weight shaft..

Good call. I liked the 65 stiff, but I think I would have gone X if I was to pick one up. I just like that boardy feel.

(I'm such a moron. 70 great drives in a row on a demo with a stiff flex, and I wanna go change it up. Typical. :D)

R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427