• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Set Needed

MAT B

Reaction score
Hey people im new to this forum, im 19 years old and just wondering what clubs to purchase next, i have been told to get a set of Blades as my handicap is around 12, i have now had the same set of clubs for four years and feel i may be able to improve my game with a different type of club, im after a second hand pair as im a student at the mo and really cant afford a brand new set, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Also what is the difference with bladed clubs?

Thanks Matty

MAT B said:
Also what is the difference with bladed clubs?

Thanks Matty

Very basically, you get Blades and Cavity Backs.

From what I understand, CB's are more forgiving with a larger sweet spot. Blades are for better players, have a sweeter spot and make it easier - for those able to do so - to work the ball.

That's a quick and simple answer...i'm sure the others will be able to help more than I.

Cheers

KA

I would compromise. Get a set like mp 30's. They are forged for a soft feel and have very little offset so you can easily work the ball. The do have a small cavity so you get a little help on miss hits.

There are several clubs that fit this discription but I like the 30's best.

I'd have to agree with OB here.

But, that being said, you don't necessarily have to go forged. There are plenty of cast sets out there that are half the money of forged that will seal the deal. Something like an X16 from Callaway, some RAC's from Taylor Made or even some TA's from Cleveland would all be a great buy.

Be more concerned about the shaft and flex of the irons moreso than that of the make. And, always buy something you're comfortable standing over. Confidence means so much in golf, it's not even funny.

Good luck in your search!

R35

Hi guys, thanks for all your info, much appreciated, a friend of mine has RAC LT's are i found them to be quite nice and comfy, so theres a chance i will get those.

P.s Had a few problems with username & password, so i had to create a new account, whoops.

A friend of mine just got the LT's. Loves 'em...for what it's worth.

i have played LTs for two years. i played macgregor mb forged previous to those. the LTs were soft like the forged blades but, significantly more forgiving on misses. i would go with the LTs. mike

Thinking about these checked them out in the local golf shop, nice smooth clubs that created a nice smooth swing at the time.

Your comments please, thanks in advance.

http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/25-6419

these are the exact same clubs i am looking at. hit some at the local golf store and really liked them. see my post on this section. i am not sure about ordering from uk though. 399 there is almost 800 here in us dollars. i think there are bertter deals to be had. mike

Matty said:
Thinking about these checked them out in the local golf shop, nice smooth clubs that created a nice smooth swing at the time.

Your comments please, thanks in advance.

http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/25-6419
These are sweet clubs. I would also like a set of these, or RAC CGB's.

If it were up to me, I'd convert everyone away from TM clubs. I don't like their business ethics in terms of their frequency of "new club" releases. No one else needs to release a new version of their irons 3 times in one year...why does TM?

@ Levifly - check out the eBay mate, there are a few nice sets on there, LT's & OS's.

@ ChrisR - the CGB's are even more expensive, lol, if you got the cash them get them, i know i would.

Go Blade or go home. Haha. Whatever feels good, whether blade or not it doesn't make much difference. If you have blades that you can't hit, or vice versa - cavities; there's no sense buying anything for the specs the company says it has. Buying a club purely on its type does not work. But if you can.. stay away from those god - for - saken Callaway shovels;) . (Sorry to anyone with Callaway Irons) =).

Just to add my .02 in here, I have had my maxfli A10 irons for a couple years. The PW thru 8 are a blade and the 7 is a mix of blade and muscle back, then the 6 thru 2 are a muscle back style. So basically this keeps the center of gravity nice and low on all the clubs in the right places so you can hit all your irons high enough to get the carry... so long as you swing correctly. These are a fairly forgiving iron and would work for all skill levels.

But if your gonna drop the cash, go with whats been said above. MP30's are awesome but I didnt find them as easy to work around as everyone claims and I can usually play anything from a low hook to a high slice on demand. *shrug* To each his own! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520