• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Penta TP ball

Might have to bite the bullet and pick up a box of these.

I normally don't like spending tons of money on balls simply because i do lose them quite frequently. Its getting better though and although i do like the Gamer V2's, and they work well for me, i think more spin around the green could help.

OK, played enough now to make comment. It's a cool concept. I have played the TP Red LDP, that and the Srixon ZStarx for the last several months. The Penta is:

As long as TP Red LDP - I cannot distinguish
Spins a tad more on irons, only a tad.
Holds up well in wind, as well as LDP.
Lasts longer, cover seems to hold up better.
I asked an international amateur (playing off +4) and he confirmed all of the above.

If you blacked out the words Penta and TP LDP I seriously doubt I could tell much difference. After 2 rounds I could, the Penta would hold up better.

btw I bought 6 doz Penta, so I'll be playing it for a while, but I think the TP Red LDP is on offer now, so my advice is to snag a bunch of them.

I know I wouldn't find a lot of difference, let's say, between a Pro-V1 and an NXT Tour .

Quite obviously I exaggerated a bit for the sake of simply doing so, but I feel fpr the vast majority of us your analogy works well. No sense spending $45 when you can get 2 boxes for $25 of a decent ball.

Quite obviously I exaggerated a bit for the sake of simply doing so, but I feel fpr the vast majority of us your analogy works well. No sense spending $45 when you can get 2 boxes for $25 of a decent ball.

I believe the exact opposite. The average hacker misses 12-14 greens, sometimes more. Having a ball thats reliable and consistent around the greens will help a hacker as much, if not more, than it will help a skilled player.

I know I wouldn't find a lot of difference, let's say, between a Pro-V1 and an NXT Tour

The NXT Tour is a very good ball. Performs almost exactly like a Pro V1 for slower swingers with slightly less spin. So, I believe this. But you COULD tell the difference between a Pro V1 and a TiTech.

This thread got me curious, if the Penta is supposed to replace the TP Red then it should be possible to find some sweet deals on that ball. Did a search and came up with $55 for two dz at Walmart. Living in Sweden, a EU based outlet would alleviate customs and consumption taxes (25 % you guys don't want to know) but looking at all the major UK outlets online I couldn't for my life find the TP Red. I could find TM Burner TP Red, but that isn't the same ball, is it? Is the TP Red simply not available in Europe?

This thread got me curious, if the Penta is supposed to replace the TP Red then it should be possible to find some sweet deals on that ball. Did a search and came up with $55 for two dz at Walmart. Living in Sweden, a EU based outlet would alleviate customs and consumption taxes (25 % you guys don't want to know) but looking at all the major UK outlets online I couldn't for my life find the TP Red. I could find TM Burner TP Red, but that isn't the same ball, is it? Is the TP Red simply not available in Europe?

I have never heard of the "Burner TP Red." We have The burner, burner TP, and TP Black/Red. Link to the "burner TP red" and we can assess the quality for you.

I think the Penta is as long as the black. The Black is a good distance ball. It's much harder than the Red and the Penta. The Black is a high spin ball already, but I never found it to be good with my irons and wedges. Off the driver it's a monster ball.. It lacks the feel and spin from the Red and Penta.

It's geared towards having the distance ball, but with a mid tier short game, IMO. For the price, it's one of the best balls in it's group, hands down. I have a few dozen of them, and they go and go with the big sticks..

It's much harder off the irons, really high ball flight.. Doesn't seem to sit down as fast as most of the other balls. Putting with it is like putting with a top flite to me. Short feel shots where it's hard to impart alot of spin, run out alot.

I think the Red is the better ball, the Black being for those who want a 50/50 trade off, and a urethane cover.

I said in a previous thread that the Penta was not softer than the TP Black, which you disputed - you were quite right. I was still playing the old TP Black before the LDP, when the black was still soft. I realized my error a few days ago when playing but forgot to dig up that old thread. WalMart graciously exchanged my two boxes of Black LDPs for Red LDPs, thankfully. I was surprised they did that, but even more surprised that they had the Reds since I normally only see Blacks there.

I still don't like the Penta on long putts. It's pretty good everywhere else, but doesn't blow my skirt up like it seems to do so many. It's a good ball, but it's not a "holy shit, you HAVE to try this" ball.

I said in a previous thread that the Penta was not softer than the TP Black, which you disputed - you were quite right. I was still playing the old TP Black before the LDP, when the black was still soft. I realized my error a few days ago when playing but forgot to dig up that old thread. WalMart graciously exchanged my two boxes of Black LDPs for Red LDPs, thankfully. I was surprised they did that, but even more surprised that they had the Reds since I normally only see Blacks there.

I still don't like the Penta on long putts. It's pretty good everywhere else, but doesn't blow my skirt up like it seems to do so many. It's a good ball, but it's not a "holy shit, you HAVE to try this" ball.

The Black isn't a bad ball. For shits and grins last night, I played 9, with 2 new Black TP's.. The fairways were real wet and the greens were too, so I knew the lack of spin wouldn't matter, and the high ball would hold well. I still got my distance and was able to un plug my fairway drives. :)

Good ball, but real hard. The Red is the clear value winner here. The Penta is a moderately better ball than the Red, if anything for the durability and the spin I get from short irons and wedges. Thats something you don't see alot from the premium balls. Durability.

The Black isn't a bad ball. For shits and grins last night, I played 9, with 2 new Black TP's.. The fairways were real wet and the greens were too, so I knew the lack of spin wouldn't matter, and the high ball would hold well. I still got my distance and was able to un plug my fairway drives. :)

Good ball, but real hard. The Red is the clear value winner here. The Penta is a moderately better ball than the Red, if anything for the durability and the spin I get from short irons and wedges. Thats something you don't see alot from the premium balls. Durability.

I liked the Blacks well enough, just honestly didn't care for the clicky sound. I know that's dumb, but I prefer a more thumpy-crack to a clicky-crack.

This thread got me curious, if the Penta is supposed to replace the TP Red then

Actually, the Penta TP is replacing both the Red and the Black. Its design is supposed to cover the full range of performance that other brands still need two models for, and still work for slower swing speeds as well.

Ok, I see now that I've found some other places that the supply is somewhat different from what I first believed. I noticed that Walmart offer the TM TP Red at $55 for 2 dz. That is in my world a very enticing offer. Too bad we don't have any Walmarts here in Sweden. Anyone with a PayPal account I can entice....?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301