• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing the percentages...

William Tipton

Reaction score
So I keep hearing the pros talk about high and low percentage shots.
They seem to go with the high percentage shots unless there isnt a whole lot of choice from what Ive seen watching them and reading in articles and books.

Applying this to my own game, strictly talking percentages and how they apply to my game and especially the score card, Im thinking that as much as I love having this 975J driver in my bag that, again strictly talking percentages, that it really doesnt belong in there at this point in my golf game.

Ive been sort of counting the number of times it gets me into trouble versus how often my 1 hybrid does, comparing some of the average distances....not in real numbers but just generally after a game and seeing where the ball ends up, how far its being driven, how accurately and how many times Im taking drops and penalty strokes.

On a good day the driver does well enough, but on those off days it absolutely can destroy any chance of scoring. My #1 hybrid, on the other hand, can give me about 240 yards on a good strike when its not wet out, stays out of trouble probably a full 95% of the time and most likely that is a low estimate...it rarely leaves me without a shot.

I was talking to one of the pros at the clubhouse today, giving him the whole rundown, and he said it does sound like the driver is costing me enough strokes to take it out for now if Im trying to score and not just practicing (which I often am).
I hate taking the thing out, but its wasting a space in my bag if I cant count on it 100% like I can all my other clubs. I took out the gap wedge to make room for the driver, but I hit my gap wedge really well and like it a lot. I know I need it because the hybirds are marked for loft so I know I have a gap of 8 or 9 degrees without it....which I didnt realize was such an issue until I didnt have it in the bag.

I have noticed I score better overall without a driver in the bag.

I rarely put a 3 wood in my bag for the same reason. I have to keep my driver though.

I say, keep everything in the bag until you play for money. Just don't pull driver out until you're feeling it.

1379811504519.jpg

1379811644076.jpg

This should be a page of related text. I cant see it on this phone app though so let me know if its messed up.

Last edited:
I rarely put a 3 wood in my bag for the same reason. I have to keep my driver though.

I say, keep everything in the bag until you play for money. Just don't pull driver out until you're feeling it.
Thats what Ive been doing except that I have 15 clubs in the bag to get a full spread counting the gap wedge which Im realizing Im seriously needing to keep in there. My step father is the only one who makes a big deal about having 14 clubs and we dont play a lot anyway, so I may keep it in and just play it on the safe holes.
I know its a club that amplifies errors. It kills me that it will just get me into just enough trouble to make it not worth it as far as total score goes. Not every round, just here and there. But enough that if Im really wanting to score I wont know if I can trust it every shot like I trust my long hybrids.

Tempted to shorten the shaft slightly and regrip it so it swings more like the hybrids...maybe that'll help keep it in the fairway every time instead of 90% of the time.

View attachment 22890
This should be a page of related text. I cant see it on this phone app though so let me know if its messed up.
Definitely like the concept. I build my own clubs other than the driver so I can pretty much do what I want with them. Off the shelf clubs never really seem to agree with me a whole lot. I like them how I like them :D

Never hit a 3 wood unless its a perfect fairway lie. Go to the 4w or 3h at most for anything else including a thin fairway. This will reverse your failed 3w shot percentages while giving that better distance because you elect to play 3w in appropriate lie conditions.

Last edited:
Never hit a 3 wood unless its a perfect fairway lie. Go to the 4w or 3h at most for anything else including a thin fairway. This will reverse your failed 3w shot percentages while giving that better distance because you elect to play 3w in appropriate lie conditions.
This is likely one of the reasons I decided to give up the woods and just play hybrids. My #1 hybrid is 15* and I can hit it every bit as far as a 3 wood and from lies that I couldnt hope to get a 3 wood shot with.
Plus I really like being able to have the same feel all the way down thru the clubs.
Helps me keep the swing tempo the same, for sure.
I think thats partly why I have some trouble with the driver at times. Just feels too damned light compared to the hybrids. I was thinking about getting some weight added to increase the swing weight and see if it helps me keep the driver more consistent.

You've gotta post pics of this hybrid set of yours.

Not very good. My cell isnt so great with pics indoors.
The 7 hybrid isnt in the bag, just noticed. I swapped out the shaft and it was still setting up over in the corner.

Attachments

• Pic-09222013-004.JPG
    Pic-09222013-004.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Over the last year or so I've definitely moved into the mentality of "playing the percentages golf". I've finally found a driver that gets me 10/14 fairways a round even on bad days, and has only cost me 5-10 yards at most. This is absolutely key. If you're not hitting fairways you're fighting for par instead of giving yourself a chance at birdie.

In saying that, I'm very fortunate that I've found said driver. If you can't find your "one" force yourself into some self-control and only pull out driver on holes that give you a bail-out area in your natural shot shape area or that absolutely require pure length.

You'll be surprised how easy this game is from 20 yards further back in the fairway, compared to god-knows-where.

You'll be surprised how easy this game is from 20 yards further back in the fairway, compared to god-knows-where.
I got that eagle on a par 5 last week after taking out the driver for a bit just to see how I'd do.
I think the 975j I have is the driver for me, many days I do really well with it.
It was actually doing well until I pulled my back out two weeks ago so Im wondering if that is the problem. Ive been a little off with all my clubs since then. I guess thats normal when youre trying to start your swing and those muscles in the lower back feel like a dagger is running them thru :D

Its been a little better the last few days. Ive been trying to play thru the pain. Seems to be doing something to help...loosening it up some.
I put the driver back in the bag, going to slow down my swing with it like I did the hybrids today and see how it goes for a few rounds.

Its definitely good to have it in the bag for these longer holes, although I have been hitting even the long 4's GIR with just my hybrids, but it does make for a LOOOOOOOng approach shot :D

Decided to make a deal with my driver.
It gives me shots I can live with and I drop the 60* wedge that I use for lob shots out of the bag to make room for the driver and just make my lob/flop shots with my sand wedge.
The sand wedge cooperated fully today, only had one out of about half a dozen high lofted shots I did that fell a little short.
The driver did good too. My back isnt hurting like it was so Im hoping that was the cause of the wayward shots. Only got into the tree line once today with the driver, so not too bad.
Little irritated with my teammate calling his 96 an 87, but what're ya going to do....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427