• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removing Tape when regripping?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have regripped my clubs a bunch of times and have always tried to remove as much of the tape as possible... it's a real PIA to be honest.

My question, what happens if I just leave the old tape on there - use some solvent and slide on the grip. Will the grip start to twist or slide in time?

Thanks!

I have never tried that. If the OEM tape is the thin type, I will just tape over it as that stuff is a reall pain to remove and does not add a whole lot of thickness to the grip. If its the thicker stuff that GS sells, it comes off fairly easy. If you really want to remove it, try a heat gun or some grip solvent to loosen the bond with the club. The only downside to using solvent to loosen the old tape is that you have to wait for the club to dry before your retape and regrip.

A gentle heating works for me.

A gentle heating works for me.

Yep. Slowly work the heat gun over the tape and it bubbles off. Then throw the new stuff over the residue that's left behind.

R35

If it is on steel shafts I would soak the tape in water and then use a razor blade carefully to scrape as much off as I could.

firing up the heat gun now... thnx.

I use my multipurpose clubbuilding station.... gas stove.

I use my multipurpose clubbuilding station.... gas stove.

If you ever make the pro tour, that stove is going to go into the Smithsonian or the Golf Hall of Fame. :laugh:

If you ever make the pro tour, that stove is going to go into the Smithsonian or the Golf Hall of Fame. :laugh:

His tour van will be a Winnibego with sweet lino floors and burgandy interior. And with that thing strapped inside it. :D

R35

Just take a utility knife and scrape most of it off, then take a rag and spray it with paint thinner and rub the rest of the tape of.

Easy, 2 mins per club.

Or get narrow tape and go right over top..

That's what I did with my father's last night..He wont notice lol.:emot-ange

I agree, take a razore blade down the shaft a few times and then wipe clean.

Thanks - I went with the heat gun approach. It took a while and my thumbs are sore - but got all the tape off... even the thin OEM stuff ;)

Slapping the cords on there tomorrow.

Thanks - I went with the heat gun approach. It took a while and my thumbs are sore - but got all the tape off... even the thin OEM stuff ;)

Slapping the cords on there tomorrow.

Oh yea, my = no sore thumbs :)

His tour van will be a Winnibego with sweet lino floors and burgandy interior. And with that thing strapped inside it. :D

R35

and set of steak knives hung up on the wall as "state of the art shaft length adjuster: Providence Style"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520