• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rethinking bag make-up

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
all this hybrid stuff i've been reading in my quest to replace my 4 iron has me challenging my bag set-up again

bag set-up is obviously very personal, but I was hoping to get some thoughts here...

I think we've all hit at least some horrible chips where we catch the ground fat or get hung up in some nasty greenside grass and ruin any chance at salvaging a decent score - and I think most of us chip with a variety of clubs depending on the circumstances, but always have a favorite

I've even seen people carry a "chipper" (those silly lofted putter style things) - I've read that some people are having great luck chipping with high lofted hybrids - stuff like the PW from the cleveland halo iron set or the Wishon 785s - I can't help but think there might be something to this

some people chip with hybrids from the fringe - I haven't because my 3h is too long, but the idea of looking down at a high lofted, short shafted hybrid that won't get hung up in the grass doesn't sound too bad to me right now

anyone here tried replacing say a 48* conventional PW with a 48* hybrid? - I'm certainly not ready to turn all my irons, but maybe my 100 yrd club?

any thoughts?

I been giving some thought to that exact same idea, particularly since my chipping is so horrendously bad. I almost put one of those stupid "chipper" things in my bag, but didn't because it has no other use. And as you say, the problem with using hybrids to chip is the shaft length. It's unwieldy even if you choke down to the metal.

You've pushed me over the edge. I'm going to get a PW hybrid and add it to my bag. I've been playing with 12+ putter lately, so I've got room to add it in.

did you have your eye on any particular club? I have 14, so was thinking of just swapping out my normal PW, instead of having two clubs with similar loft, but I have two clubs with similar lofts anyway (I carry a hybrid and a conventional 3i right now - use the hybrid for actual shots and use the 3i almost exclusively to punch out from under the trees - I just can't keep the hybrid low enough)

did you have your eye on any particular club? I have 14, so was thinking of just swapping out my normal PW, instead of having two clubs with similar loft, but I have two clubs with similar lofts anyway (I carry a hybrid and a conventional 3i right now - use the hybrid for actual shots and use the 3i almost exclusively to punch out from under the trees - I just can't keep the hybrid low enough)

Not really. I looked at a used club a few weeks ago. I think it was a Maxfli 9-iron replacement. I'm going to call the Wishon guy in town and see what he can put together for me. Thanks for that tip on the 785.
icon12.gif

The only spot in my bag that's really open is for a 3-wood. I'm not carrying one now because I need to reshaft the one I've got, and I hit my 4-wood really well. I took the 60-deg. wedge out because it was stupid to leave it in. I may end up just forgetting about the 3-wood, if only because I'm starting to feel some real confidence with the new driver I've got. The only reason for me to carry a 3-wood was for tee shots, and right now I don't feel the need.

Here is one that I own and is maybe worth mentioning for what you are looking for in a club. May be a little more versatile than and 48* hybrid. It has the loft of a 4-5 iron and the shaft of a SW. The main reason I picked it up was when I found myself in the woods more than I cared, and also didn't care for the length on a hybrid for bump and runs and chipping like you mentioned.

Although it does have a ton of uses and occasionally finds its way into my bag, I just have a hard time finding a spot for it. Mainly I do on certain times of the year when the rough on our course gets unruly or my chipping starts to suffer, or if my 5i is in a slump where I am more comfortable choking down on a 4R. May be worth a look. Got it off ebay for around 40-50 bucks.
Clutch Iron
Loft: 25 degrees
Lie: 65 degrees
Length: 37 inches
Head Weight: 328 grams
Swing Weight: Heavy D

Clutch Golf, Home of the Clutch Iron, The Premier Club for play from an unfavorable lie. Free, No Risk Trial. 100% Guaranteed.

If I were allowed 15 clubs, it would go back in the bag before the 3W. Also a good durable club you can use to beat the heck out of around rocks, trees, etc. in effort to save other clubs. Weighs a ton.

PA - if that thing had 8-iron loft I might give it a try. Thanks for the idea, though.

38*...hmm.... i think i'm looking for a bit higher loft as I often find myself shortsided w/ little green to work with, but please let me know how you make out with it

38*...hmm.... i think i'm looking for a bit higher loft as I often find myself shortsided w/ little green to work with, but please let me know how you make out with it

I will let you know. I figure it's worth a shot for the $40 it will cost me.

I suspect the hybrid design might launch the ball a bit high for the loft. We'll see.

BTW, if you were wanting suggestion on Higher lofted Hybrids, or who makes them, I would take a look at Tour Edge who goes all the way to a 60* in the JMAX.

Not a bad hybrid in general, I imagine the Wedge hybrids may be nice.
JMAX Iron-Wood
looks like they do it with the QL as well.
Bazooka QL Iron-Wood

edit 1 - My wife has the 6i in the QL and seems to like it. I demoed the 4i JMax at the time and it was second on my list after the Baffler.

i'm driving down to NJ for a family party shortly - I think i'll be within a few miles of a golfsmith myself....I may try the same $20-40 experiment

The other club like this that Golfsmith sells is the:

Zevo Up-N-In Chipper

which is another hybrid like chipping club with a short shaft and wide body. Looks very nice when you see one too. Unlike the Snake Eyes clubs you'll find this one down with the putters in the stores, and not with the other hybrids.

I must admit that the chipping club I own is something I wish I dared to carry more often. I've found it incredibly helpful whenever I've put it in my back andit's been a real shot-saver, but I always feel a bit of an idiot having it in there...

The other club like this that Golfsmith sells is the:

Zevo Up-N-In Chipper

which is another hybrid like chipping club with a short shaft and wide body. Looks very nice when you see one too. Unlike the Snake Eyes clubs you'll find this one down with the putters in the stores, and not with the other hybrids.

I must admit that the chipping club I own is something I wish I dared to carry more often. I've found it incredibly helpful whenever I've put it in my back andit's been a real shot-saver, but I always feel a bit of an idiot having it in there...

I went down to the local Golfsmith today and played around with this very club, and looked at the Quick Strike. I also went to a place that sells a lot of used clubs, and tried out some Bazookas they had.

I don't know if I could ever feel comfortable chipping with any of these clubs. They just don't feel right to me. Besides, if I chip poorly, it's my technique, and no club is going to fix that.

I'm sticking with what I've got, and practicing more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301