• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ridiculous length

dave.

Reaction score
I was amazed this weekend, Casey and Fisher, plus McIlroy, all of them very big hitters. BUt 600 yards reduced to drive and a 260 4 iron? McIlroy, no wind, 220 6 iron? Uphill, no breeze, 180 7 irons?

What is going on? I have to put this down to increasing levels of gym work outs, these guys must really work at it

having said that, they were under clubbing quite a few times as well, that 267 4 iron form Casey dropped 40 yards short. But on a on course that long he barely used a driver all week.

I assume also these guys have lofts almost two clubs down on years gone by. 9 irons must be nearer 42 degs

There are a number of causes for the "ridiculous" distances we're seeing on tour. This weekend's PGA tourney had a Par 4 that was playing 360. MANY were driving the green. That hole saw quite a few eagles. A par 5 that played well over 500 yards saw the pros hitting 9-irons to the green for their second shots. It was one of those weekends... one of those courses... that allowed for some distances not seen elsewhere.

Considering this weekend's tourney, I do think most of those long distances was attributable to the course. Fairways dried hard as an airport runway... Mowing of the fairways tighter than a thong on Rosey O'Donnell... and, some Texas breezes that carried balls downwind with ease.

We saw Freddie on the leader board all weekend. He's 49 years old and hitting the ball almost as long as the "young studs". So, it's not all muscle tone. Much is. We are seeing a really fit group of athletes on tour and that, certainly, adds some length.

I also believe the technology of form and function has advanced dramatically. The top teachers have at their disposal some of the most advanced technology to forumulate the efficient swings of today's pros. We see these guys so consumed by science and kinesiology, they are getting the most they can out of their swings. Today's pros are similar to the analogy of taking my old Silverado pickup that gets 20 mpg and working her over to the point she gets 40 mpg. It would take way more dollars to make this truck get 40 mpg that we would ever see as a return on the investment. Not that way in today's sports world. If these guys can get just a tad bit more out of their bodies, that can result in bigger endorsement contracts and more top-tens on tour. That's big buck, baby!!!!!

40 deg 9 iron? Thats it then, if Casey has one, its stronger than my old 8 iron, so nearer a 7 than a nine of old, plus the modern ball, that explains this modern thing of 150 9 irons.

But conditioning still plays a part, Couples clearly looks after himself, watches what he eats and works out

their 4 irons must be nearer two irons, along with muscle tone and a modern ball, its added 40 yards+ to these irons

swing technique is a better now as well. Everybody has the perfect swing. Stationary hip, huge shoulder turn, tons of lag.

not critical though. look at JB Holmes, he barely get the club past 1 o'clock.

His hands are still as far from his body as possible though. So he still has a huge arc, its just not a long swing.

I was wondering the same thing as I watched the tournament. I mean, come on, Freddy hit a 360 yard drive on one of the holes Saturday, 49 years old and a 360 yard drive? :faintthud

swing technique is a better now as well. Everybody has the perfect swing. Stationary hip, huge shoulder turn, tons of lag.

How many degrees delofted do you guys think they are from lag? I've been very curious of this.

Last time I heard lag statistics it was like 4* minimum to a maximum of 8* on normal full shots. More than two clubs worth.

Hence my 48 degree pw topping out at 130.Whatever happened to having the club straight with your arm at impact?I must be way behind with technique eh?

I don't find that my set has any lower of a ball flight.... more penetrating, but not way lower. I like being able to seriously consider hitting PW on a 145 yd par 3 with a 75% swing. It's like hitting the 9I's of old, but whatever.

Modern clubfitting is a factor for increased driver distances in recent years. Getting optimum spin rates and launch angles for your ball speed has been responsible for huge increases in driver distance. With the irons, longer shaft lengths combined with stronger lofts has effectively turned 7 irons into 6 or even 5 irons of 10-20 years ago.

I also think the pros hit it driver so far on tour because of the manicured fairways. Most member courses have to maintain the fairways and can't afford to take the risk of cutting them as short as they do for tour stops for risking of losing them. Tour condition fairways give up heaps more run than longer grassed fairways encountered by most of us amatuers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520