• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

San Diego Golf

golfca73

Reaction score
So, I got out and played Torrey Pines the other day. I’ve been going through some swing changes, so I chose to play the North Course instead of letting the South get the better of me while I’m in such a delicate state. Probably was a good choice as I had a mix of good and bad (and some ugly).

I’ll start with ugly and work my way back to good, since it helps me feel less demoralized as I continue to write:

Ugly: Pitching/chipping distance control. Yikes. Ridiculous rough around the greens didn’t help, but I don’t want to use that as an excuse. I simply didn’t finish a single swing on my pitches and chips, and left everything short. There has to be some type of mental practice that helps you swing fully and not worry about sculling it or airmailing the green, right? If so, let me know.

Bad: Consistent miss on my drives. Straight push. This is a bit of a symptom of the swing change. Using my core to hit through a lot more, but I’m actually coming a little too inside-out right now. They say that it’s a mistake of better players, so I have to consider it a backhanded compliment.

Good: Absolutely hammering my drives. I’m getting far more distance than I ever have before. I think it’s a combination of the swing changes and using this training club called the Gyro Swing. It’s kind of crazy... It has a gyroscope in it that creates all this force to keep it perfectly on plane. So now I understand the feel of a technically correct swing. The thing that really makes the difference is that it forces a good weight shift (my Achilles' heel) and club lag, so I’m whipping through the ball more with my big muscles. It also helps you learn to turn your hands over, which will straighten me out, but that’s taking a little longer to work into the swing. If I can just straighten it out a couple of degrees, I’ll be golden.

Also good is my putting. Pretty much saved my round. Actually changed my setup to get more centered (instead of on the balls of my feet), which has really made a difference. Drained a long par putt on the #1 handicap hole, which was pretty gratifying.

As always, a work in progress. But I sure did enjoy Torrey.

Where can I get more information on this "gyro-swing?" I want to get more distance on my drives too.

If you have a gyro-swing for sale, I will take it. I will also take an Opti-vibe, if anybody has one of those...

If you have a gyro-swing for sale, I will take it. I will also take an Opti-vibe, if anybody has one of those...
Jeff's girlfriend does. I hear she gets crazy with a Hammer too. Or was that a Hummer?

Where can I get more information on this "gyro-swing?" I want to get more distance on my drives too.

I think you may need the Bionic glove then, combined with the gyro swing & an Opti-Vibe you will be outdriving most par 4's. Think you can handle dialing it back a touch?

and using this training club called the Gyro Swing.

ok.

This is one of those rare instances of spam that I will try to use to my advantage.....unlike the guy who brought us Video Caddy

golfca73, do yourself a favor and read that thread so you know where I'm coming from. ;)

This gyro thingy actually looks interesting and I wouldn't mind trying one.

get me a 'review' copy before Christmas and I won't put you in my virtual purgatory.

pm me for the address. :)

I miss the videocaddy guy.

I just got back from playing in San Diego - Sorry...Torrey Pines is too expensive for a hacker like me at almost $300 a round, but I loved playing Steele Canyon. I did a video review of it and would love your comments on it.

Golfgal

I just got back from playing in San Diego - Sorry...Torrey Pines is too expensive for a hacker like me at almost $300 a round, but I loved playing Steele Canyon. I did a video review of it and would love your comments on it.

Golfgal

I used to play Torrey every morning (weekdays) back in the 70's. Back then we could buy a monthly ticket for $27 which entitled us to play every weekday. Worked out to about $1.25 for 18 holes, sometimes south course, sometimes north.
Then maybe once a week, we'd head down to Tijuana in the afternoon and play Tj country club for some ridiculous low rate that included a cart, a steak sandwich and 2 margaritas.

(yes, i was a golf bum in them days. worked part time here and there, now and then to support my golf habit)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520