• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scotland course recommendations?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Reaction score
My friend and I are set to go to Scotland for two weeks in May/June '06. We have our Old Course tee time secured, and I'm looking for suggestions on other "must-plays". We will have time to play about eight courses. Right now we're looking at:

Machrihanish
Machrie
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Royal Troon
Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen
North Berwick

Other thoughts are:

Kingsbarns
Scottscraig

Machrie and Machrihanish are must-plays on my list. There is a big festival on Islay during the first weekend we're there. "Islay Whisky Festival". Should we plan to be in Islay and play those two courses while the Festival is going on? In other words, has anyone been to this festival? Is a worth going to? Or should we schedule our time there after the festival is over, so that we can avoid the hecticness, and do the Whisky Trail up north during that time?

Any real-world advice is appreciated from those who have been and done.

Any speculative advice from those who are planning or considering such a trip is also welcomed.

The rest of you? Your ideas are always welcome.:sc:

My advice would be as follows:

don't bother with Prestwick,

don't bother with the New Course at St.Andrews, espesh if you're doing the Old.

make sure and spend some time "taking in" St.Andrews town - wicked place.

try and play Western Gailes - very good Open Qualifying track.

try and get up to St.Andrews Bay and play the Torrence course there. 3 miles outside of st.andrews itself and the whole place is just fantastic. Try and enquire to obtain a "stay and play" deal, if you can.

kingsbarns is just a coupla miles up the road from this again. It too it suppose to be amazing.

Not heard terribly great reports about Royal Aberdeen. Doesn't Carnoustie appeal to you before it, no...?

:)

Whatever you do,you MUST play Nairn and Elgin.Its better than sex with Danni Minogue,fully shaved and covered in baby oil.

Seriously,those 2 courses will make you feel liek you have gone to Golf heaven.

I also liked Strathpeffer and Dornoch

Just a brief answer as I've got a boisterous 2 year old to look after today...!

If you are spending time at St Andrews, St Andrews Bay is great accomodation with 2 18-hole links courses on site. Ideal for a 36 hole day. It's a couple of miles from St Andrews so the location is good. And I see no reason not to play the New Course while you are there - it's a good track, cheek by jowl with the Old Course.

And Kingsbarns is really a must - it's a wonderful set-up with no bad holes and several excellent ones. Very highly rated and justifiably so.

If you are thinking of heading to Islay, take into account the travel required to get there and back - may mean missing a couple of days golf and it's not the easiest place to reach. An accommodation may already be gone of there's a whisky festival on.

If you are heading North I'd try Royal Dornoch - a fair drive, but well worth the effort. Tom Watson described it as "the most fun he'd ever had on a golf course". And I'd rate his opinions above anyone's on this board! While in the North, Nairn would be a must-play.

And for a break from links, look into Boat of Garten and Grantown on Spey.

If you are going to be in the South East of Scotland, look at spending two days playing Peebles and a fairly new course - Cardrona. It's been getting some good reviews and is in a lovely part of the country.

If you want further info please drop me a PM as I've a comprehensive list of Scottish courses and accommodation, depending on your budget etc.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip!

I wasn't overly impressed with the New Course, lad. Granted there were some good holes, but also a handful of pretty "bad" ones. The first two holes are for nothing, particuarly the opener, and that par-3 9th (I think) is just plain stupid, man. There are three or four holes like that one with a really unessicery and plain silly mound just before the green that shoots the ball onward. Saying that there are some pretty good golf holes, if not a bit bland on it.

It is very old, traditional-style Linksland, so if you have been starved of this in your time, then by all means go for it...

NAIRN NAIRN NAIRN NAIRN NAIRN

did I mention Nairn?

dave. said:
NAIRN NAIRN NAIRN NAIRN NAIRN

did I mention Nairn?

We both did! It's a great links course, that's for sure.

I just want to know when you had sex with Danni Minogue...

Only in my dreams

Thanks for the advice, gents. I've been pushing all along for Kingsbarns. My friend says "it's not a classic Scottish course, so why bother?" I say - it will be, so let's play it while we have the chance. Maybe your comments can help my cause.

I'm putting Nairn on the list. I doubt we'll have time to get to Carnoustie. I really want to take enough time to do Kintyre (Machrihanish) and Islay (Machrie) properly.

Happy New Year to all.

Eracer said:
Thanks for the advice, gents. I've been pushing all along for Kingsbarns. My friend says "it's not a classic Scottish course, so why bother?" I say - it will be, so let's play it while we have the chance. Maybe your comments can help my cause.

I'm putting Nairn on the list. I doubt we'll have time to get to Carnoustie. I really want to take enough time to do Kintyre (Machrihanish) and Islay (Machrie) properly.

Happy New Year to all.

Push hard! Kingsbarns is used in the Dunhill Links Championship along with the Old Course and Carnoustie.

Also, Carnoustie is on the way from St Andrews to the North East so it really isn't out of the way...and is only about 1/2 hour from St Andrews...

Good luck and let us know your final itinerary!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520