• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sergio @ Doral

It was a 'little' spit into the hole witch would have probably dried out or gone to earth before the next pairing got to the green. It's not nice I know but I'd rather explain spitting in frustration (as long as it's not at a person) to my little lad then explaining why a golfer threw his club or wacked his bag with a club in anger/frustration. If they ban Sergio then I'd like to see the next club thrower or bag smasher get a ban as well.

I personally try to maintain my anger on course and kick the sh*t out of the cat when I get home!!! (joking btw)

Then spit off the side of the green or between holes.

While I know nothing will come of it anyways, it's still BS.

R35

I once met a wonderful English couple who were here on holiday, and while talking about all the places they had traveled, I asked about Spain. They said that Spain was wonderful, except for one thing - "it's full of Spaniards".

This is just as disgusting as anything said in this thread. I'm suprised there is but one comment on how offensive it is. And yes, I am Spanish.

As far as Sergio, it's a disgusting act, he should be fined and harshly punished. It's wrong, it's BS, but it's not the end of the world. He is a great golfer, if anyone disputes that watch the 3rd round of last years British open, he is just hot and cold.

Anyway, punish him, let him never forget, but move on.

Some people should get real here, spitting in the cup, while a stupid act, is not on the same level as say one of Tiger's tantrums and those never got him kicked off of a tournament. I'm sure they fined him but nothing else.

And banning him from the Masters, the PGA can't do that anyway as they have zero say in how that tournament is run, it's all Augusta National.

This is just as disgusting as anything said in this thread. I'm suprised there is but one comment on how offensive it is. And yes, I am Spanish.

As far as Sergio, it's a disgusting act, he should be fined and harshly punished. It's wrong, it's BS, but it's not the end of the world. He is a great golfer, if anyone disputes that watch the 3rd round of last years British open, he is just hot and cold.

Anyway, punish him, let him never forget, but move on.

Well like I said I'm English and that wonderful English couple sound like a Racist English couple to me.

Some people say/do stupid things Sergio made a stupid mistake in the spit and then made things worse with a crap apology. I think he should make a true apology & be warned about future conduct. Is it worse then saying 'I putted like a spaz'? Lets not crucify him, I for one love to watch him from tee to green.

on another note I'd like to see him try a belly or broom handle putter?

Im spanish too with part of my family coming from the north. I think that comment was a total shit! You know what though I loved england place was beautiful, love the scenery, just one problem too many of you ***** hooligans? I wonder how they would like that?

Well like I said I'm English and that wonderful English couple sound like a Racist English couple to me.

Which is precisely why I don't blame English people for this couple's racism, I blame racists. :)

Some people should get real here, spitting in the cup, while a stupid act, is not on the same level as say one of Tiger's tantrums and those never got him kicked off of a tournament. I'm sure they fined him but nothing else.

And banning him from the Masters, the PGA can't do that anyway as they have zero say in how that tournament is run, it's all Augusta National.

It will be interesting indeed to see if ANGC fails to allow him to enter the Masters. This is a distinct possiblity.

I'll bet his fine is substantial but we'll never know how much....

I would say racist may be a bit harsh.We are a nation of xenophobes,hate the French and Welsh,mock the Irish,just argue repeatedly with the Scots etc etc,these are national stereotypes and are largely true. (I am not agreeing though!).But racists are a different breed imho.We sometimes get all pc and I think we need some sort of perspective.

I have met someone that genuinely hated someone just because of the color of their skin,and it wasn't a pleasant experience.After that,no offence intended,but when someone makes a flippant comment like that re the Spanish I just shrug because it doesn't really register above mild scorn on my part.

We sometimes get all pc and I think we need some sort of perspective

Is this some english term i dont know aboot?

I am simply saying I have witnessed true racism on a professional basis,a mild flippant 'joke' like the one above just goes over my head now.

Dave,

You seem to be one hell of a level headed guy. I really like your style.
Well, except when you look like a tit lugging around that Ping bag of yours.

I want to make a real apology for commenting about the English couple. Whether they were racist or not, whether they had really bad experiences with the people in Spain or not, is irrelevant. I had no business mentioning it in the context of the discussion about Sergio. Jeff, Flomarilius, and anyone else - I did not mean to offend you, but what I said was offensive. My sincere apology. My feelings about Spaniards in general are extremely neutral, just as my feelings about Americans, English, Nigerians, Brazilians, etc. should be neutral. People are people, and the fact that Sergio is Spanish doesn't mean anything. It is racist to suggest otherwise. For me to tell the story was racist. Believe it or not, I try to examine my thoughts and feelings for racism, and when it rears its ugly head, I try my best to eliminate it. But I do see it in myself from time to time, and for anyone to suggest that they are not racist (or at least prejuducial towards some group) is self-delusional, IMO; we must all work towards making that a part of our collective pasts. When any of us perpetuates racism, like I did, even in the context of a joke, we deserve to be called to the carpet for it.

That was at least a big part of my comments. The PGA seems to be pretty selective in who they will penalize, and have certainly set a double standard. Says a great deal about their character, or lack there of. They obviously figure golf has digressed to the level of that of the NBA, MLB, etc. in that the financial side is more important than the integrity of the game.

I think you may be much more likely seeing Augusta step up and say that he is not welcome on their course. Although you would then likely see the PGA try and show what little backbone they have at this point, and try and sanction Augusta for doing so. It wouldn't surprise me.

Although I do still believe as long as it is a PGA sanctioned event, it is likely still within their power to show authority for whom they want in the event, and I would tend to believe if they were to ever step up and say he is flagged for behavior detrimental to the sport, The Masters would likely certainly follow suit. Then again, we are not talking about Casey Martin here, so they are likely more inclined to bend the rules and etiquette to their liking. Even though they have won the same number of majors.

I think the problem is that it is unlikely the PGA would ban him from The Masters, or even the Shell open this week in Houston for that matter, should he have chosen to play.

So in a nutshell, you are correct in your comment. Let's get real here, it is unlikely we will ever here the recourse for this issue as it is far more detrimental financially to the PGA, and is only at the expense of the integrity of the game.

I want to make a real apology for commenting about the English couple. Whether they were racist or not, whether they had really bad experiences with the people in Spain or not, is irrelevant. I had no business mentioning it in the context of the discussion about Sergio. Jeff, Flomarilius, and anyone else - I did not mean to offend you, but what I said was offensive. My sincere apology. My feelings about Spaniards in general are extremely neutral, just as my feelings about Americans, English, Nigerians, Brazilians, etc. should be neutral. People are people, and the fact that Sergio is Spanish doesn't mean anything. It is racist to suggest otherwise. For me to tell the story was racist. Believe it or not, I try to examine my thoughts and feelings for racism, and when it rears its ugly head, I try my best to eliminate it. But I do see it in myself from time to time, and for anyone to suggest that they are not racist (or at least prejuducial towards some group) is self-delusional, IMO; we must all work towards making that a part of our collective pasts. When any of us perpetuates racism, like I did, even in the context of a joke, we deserve to be called to the carpet for it.

A tip of the hat and a deep bow from here for coming forward with an apology....that's tough to do and you are a bigger person for doing so...

I know its corny, but I think the greatest song ever written (not from an entertainment standpoint) is Imagine by John Lennon. It is probably the deepest, most philosophical song I have ever heard about mankind.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

Just think of the number of people killed ANNUALLY in the name of Nationalism and Religion.

Each YEAR....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424