• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shaft cutting

gunning4u

Reaction score
For steel shafts do you need a special blade or can you just use a plain old hack saw. Also after cutting do you have to grind or sand down the end you just cut or can you just throw the grip on.

Hacksaw works fine for steel. Chop saw preferably, but hacksaw will work.

When you're done, take 3 seconds to file the sharp bits off with either a bench grinder or a hand saw. Just makes it smoother and more attractive as far as a do it yourself job goes.

Cheers,

R35

Used to have an archery shop and made custom arrows. I had the Easton aluminum cutoff saw (high speed thin wheel) and that would have been ideal for cutting steel or graphite shafts....

Steel shafts, use a tubing cutter. A small one is less than $10 at any hardware store and it leaves no burr.

I would think a tubing cutter would work pretty good as well. I bought a coping saw a few months ago. I haven't used it on steel yet but it works well on graphite.

Thanks for all the input guys. Last night I ran over to Home Depot and picked up a hack saw came home and it didn’t want to cut at all. I went back to day to pick up a pipe cutter and the sales guy talked me into a cutting wheel/grinder that you can put on a standard 9Volt drill. It works great and it was only 4.50$ it cuts pretty good. The best part is that after your done you can use the inside part and grind it flush if you cut it a little crooked or short. Just got done regripping all my clubs and the mid size Tour Velvets feel great cant wait to use them. I was a little worried about getting the putter grip aligned perfectly but it was a piece of cake just eye-balled it.

The cutting wheel is a good choice too. I would have mentioned it, but my hacksaw has a 64 tooth steel blade in it and it takes about 10 seconds to cut a shaft. I then use the side of the bench grinder to take the burr off and i'm done.

I tried a pipe cutter, but the wheel was dull after about 3 shafts. That sucked.

R35

I once cut a graphite shaft down with a steak knife. That sucked.

So what did you cut down? All of your irons?

I just took an inch off my putter.

I use a 6 inch high speed cut off wheel for both graphite and steel. Sparks a plenty with steel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520