• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smoking

Andy_79

Reaction score
How many of you on here smoke ?

It'll soon be 6 months that I ain't had a cigarette for. Good, eh !? :) I am quite proud of myself, actually. I liked to "beat them inte me" on occasion, but no more, thankfully.

Have the odd craving, but thankfully they don't last too long. Would be very angry with myself if I did happen to give in.

In my experience many of you Yanks either smoke heavily, or don't smoke at all.

Anyone on here trying/tried to give 'em up ? How have you faired, and have you done it "Cold Turkey" like moi, or gone with patches and so forth ?

Cheers,
A.
:japanflag

Good for you Andy, it's a tough habit to break.

I quit around 20 years ago but I remember how difficult it was. I quit cold turkey as well.

Sometimes I would just love a big menthol ciggie....Mmmmm !!!

I figure that I ruin my health too reguarly, anyway; ie. my diet is real bad, so that puts me off having one, too...

Sometimes I would just love a big menthol ciggie....Mmmmm !!!

I figure that I ruin my health too reguarly, anyway; ie. my diet is real bad, so that puts me off having one, too...

Stick with it. There will be a day when you look back and wonder why you ever smoked in the first place.

Hello Andrew:

Ex-smoker for 28 years..keep up the good work...in about another six months, your body will really hate/reject tobacco. Just hang in there another six months and your urges will vanish...

Good man, Bravo, thanks.

Prob. is that so many of my mates smoke. had a fair few drinks yesterday whilst watching the golf. A few months ago I would have had maybe 10 ciggies for the 6 or 7 pints that I had. Yesterday I can remember having one craving when sitting beside my mate who was smoking. I am definately improving with the situation...:)

Quit 4 yrs ago. Don't miss it but love the smell of smoke. Go figure.

Good man, Bravo, thanks.

Prob. is that so many of my mates smoke. had a fair few drinks yesterday whilst watching the golf. A few months ago I would have had maybe 10 ciggies for the 6 or 7 pints that I had. Yesterday I can remember having one craving when sitting beside my mate who was smoking. I am definately improving with the situation...:)

This was the very most difficult thing for me also. I quit on the day I graduated from college, so I was quitting smoking during a period of time when I was in bars virtually every day with my 'mates' as well.

For me, I identified the strongest urges to smokes under the following situations:

1) When waking up for the first time in the morning.
2) After meals.
3) When drinking.

I did not go cold turkey, but staged it down over three months. The first thing I did was to stop smoking between meals. This left me with the three situations above. Then I stopped the early morning smoke and then after meals.

This left the tough one: out with your friends in a smoky bar while everyone is in there lighting up. This was really tough and this last stage took me about a month to conquer. At the time, the number of Americans who smoked was probably about 75% and 100% of all buildings permitted smoking.

In the U.S. now, indoor smoking is banned in about 95% of all buildings, except private residences. It is unusual to actually find a place that permits it, so quitting now would be much easier. There are a few bars that permit it in certain areas of the country.

Once it gets completely out of your system, the sensitivity of your nose to tobacco smoke will increase dramatically. After returning from a bar, you will notice smoke not only on your clothes for the first time, but you will be able to smell it on your skin. When your body crosses this threshold, you will likely find tobacco to be repulsive, especially cigarette tobacco.

While I do not smoke cigars now, many of my friends smoke on the golf course and I really enjoy the smell of their cigars. Kind of enjoy sitting next to them in the cart while they puff away...it's weird...cigarette smoke is repulsive while I find cigar smoke to have a rich/sweet aroma...

Strange yet somehow odd.

You are doing the right thing. This stuff will KILL you.

Smoked for 25 years (a year in there without) and had bladder cancer removed (early stages so no problems) in 1999. Reduced smoking to 1 pack or less a day for a few years. Realized how stupid I was and quit cold turkey two months ago. Didn't cheat once because I liked smoking and I would be right back. I'm doing good. Haven't gained any weight and it's just the best for me. I told myself I could use all the money I spent for cigarettes on golf and that is a great incentive (lot's of money!) and I HAVE spent it on myself for golf. That way I didn't give up something I liked and got nothing for doing it (other then my health probably, LOL).

I still find the smell of cigarettes to be good. The part you miss most is the "ritual" of plunking one in your mouth and lighting it. After the first drag it isn't so great anymore so just had to remember that. And I still crave them but it goes away pretty quick.

:)

Congratulations Andy. It's been 22 years since I quit. When I quit, I was smoking about 3 packs a day (hanging out in bars playing darts). I'd literally light one from another. I got tired of coughing up a lung every morning and quit. It wasn't easy and took a couple of tries. The first time, after about 3 days, my wife (who never smoked) bought me a carton of cigarettes. She said "One of us has GOT to have some relief!". Finally did it the 2nd time. I do occaisionally get a craving even after all these years. No way I could ever really light one up though.

Like Bravo, I love the smell of cigars and pipes. Can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

I did gain a lot of weight after I quit because food tastes so much better and food became the "go to" item that replaced the cigarettes when boredom or nerves set in. That'll be a battle for the rest of my life.

Hang in there. There's a bunch of us out here for moral support if nothing else.

Quit 2.5 years ago. First started trying to quit November of 2002, used the patch. Resumed smoking during the week between Christmas and New Year's. Used patch again in September of 2003, and lasted until January of 2004. Started smoking again, although it tasted awful. March of 2004 bought the patches again, made it through, with my only slip ups being in July during some particularly nasty emotional stress. Those last two packs tasted absolutely abysmal though, and that's what clued me in even though I'll always crave the nicotine, something in me had changed enough that I just can't stand the taste of them anymore. And I used to love how they tasted.

I didn't "take up" smoking until I was 21 years old. I can remember a mate of mine at Uni sitting opposite me and saying "Andy, I can't believe you dont smoke !" He knew that I was pretty much addicted to fast food, girls, fruit machines, drinking beer, and generally going out and getting tw@tted at every given opportunity.

I smoked a lot of herb whilst at college/university, so I think that this might have been a stimulent that encouraged me to take up cigarette smoking.

Interesting story, WBL - you really do seem to have caned it for very long there. Good that you have kicked it now, budd...:)

...oh, and I am 27 now - I forgot to add that...:)

BTW, I hope that no-one on here brands me a "druggie" as it is very part a big part of society nowadays; well certainly in the UK, it is. I have many friends who are pretty damn successful, yet like to use the weekend to get 'mashed up', etc. It doesn't make anyone a scumbag or anything if they do it. All IMO, of course. We'll leave it there...:)

Well I'm 59 years old and WE started the whole dang "herb" thing!!! Gave that up 30 years ago though. No big deal if you "grow up" and out of that phase. As long as you don't get into the nasty stuff.

Done other ones, but not heroin as you're probs refering to. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, though..;)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520