• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So THIS is what Golf in Heaven is like...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
Reaction score
Old Head Golf Links

Unbelievable.

I was on Google earth, just wondering around Ireland.. Thinking about taking a trip there, since my GF has never been to Europe before, and because I've lived all over Europe, but never in Ireland, or England.

I found this course, out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.. Found the site, and just about died. I would absolutely die and go to heaven if I was ever able to play this course. I WILL play here before I die, even with the rack rate of $720 bucks for 36 holes with a senior caddy each time. No carts for me, I'm walking and taking my time!!

They'll even helicopter you to another course in Ireland from there, and have suites that are on the cliff next to the ocean..

That, is golf. I would probably shed a tear to stand at the end of the course, looking over the water after dropping the ball in the 18th hole.

Who could get upset with a bad shot in a place like this?

29321411.jpg

27.jpg

Whoa...

That must be golf heaven. If only.... Too perfect a place for my lowly game. Beautiful!!

I think you need to make a list of the courses everyone should play before they die.

I don't need a list.

This is the one.

Doesn't need the glitter, or the Top lists..

I know nothing about that course. Seems extremely high price, and high class track for Ireland.

I do know that it's just beautiful. I think a course needs to be not only visually stunning amongst being technically challenging.. But to me, natural beauty, and sticking a course into an area that looks natural is key.

We all play for certain reasons, I personally rate a course higher not based on how tough it was or pin positions, or whatever. I rate it if the course was maintained to a high degree, and the natural beauty around it.

This one has it.

Ireland itself is heaven. I was there in '96. Not sure Old Head was open at that time. My wife and I played four times. Next time we'll play more. Wait until you get in the pubs and have a pint of Guinness with an Irish Whiskey to wash it down and you're talking to everybody. Our first day there, in Ballybunion, we had an old guy singing us songs.

Really, really, really, cool place. Greatest vacation of my life by
far.

Kevin

Ballybunion is another I'd like to play..

I'm itching to go to Ireland.

I believe in a few years, I'll have a destination wedding..

Family can come, or stay.. It'll be in Ireland, and I'll play golf everyday for a week.

Don't I sounds like a girl!?

We all play for certain reasons, I personally rate a course higher not based on how tough it was or pin positions, or whatever. I rate it if the course was maintained to a high degree, and the natural beauty around it.

My priorities are similar, I too don't care if it's a 140 slope rating or a 115 so long as it pleases my eye & is fun to play.

Nice, Whistling Straits made the list. Have never played there but would like to some day. $330 plus caddie fee's is way out of my league, but they do have twilight fee's of $230 & no caddie is required & that's a lot more doable. Plus during the spring & fall they typically have rates almost half that price.

Has anyone here played any of the 3 courses? Pretty sure I recall Eracer saying he has played at least one of them. Blackwolf Run & the Irish are somewhere around half the cost of the Straits. Is that course actually worth double the others or is it simply because the PGA has held events on it?

Noticed they are holding the 2010 & 2015 PGA Championships and 2020 Ryder Cup Matches at the Straits.

Nice, Whistling Straits made the list. Have never played there but would like to some day. $330 plus caddie fee's is way out of my league, but they do have twilight fee's of $230 & no caddie is required & that's a lot more doable. Plus during the spring & fall they typically have rates almost half that price.

Has anyone here played any of the 3 courses? Pretty sure I recall Eracer saying he has played at least one of them. Blackwolf Run & the Irish are somewhere around half the cost of the Straits. Is that course actually worth double the others or is it simply because the PGA has held events on it?

Noticed they are holding the 2010 & 2015 PGA Championships and 2020 Ryder Cup Matches at the Straits.

I've only played blackwolf (meadows), but next summer I will be playing Whistling Straits for free (business). Pretty exctited about that.

Links golf is the real deal, no question.

Favors the guy who can hit long irons from the fairway, though, and with current trends, that will be nobody soon!

Floating 7-wood shots into a crossing sea 'breeze" could get one familiar with the local plant life in a hurry. If not marine life.

But yes, it indeed looks like heaven.

Has anyone here played any of the 3 courses? Pretty sure I recall Eracer saying he has played at least one of them. Blackwolf Run & the Irish are somewhere around half the cost of the Straits.
I did "play" the Straights Course - it's really more appropriate to say it "played" me...:laugh:

But it was spectacular. I also played Blackwolf Run the next day, and was like meh...probably only because I had played the Straights Course the day before.

The caddies all recommended the Irish Course as a great value.

Was that their way of saying you had no business being on the straits course?:biglol:
No. But on that day, I might as well have been trying to hit the ball with a 10-foot long piece of spaghetti. It's a tough couse, but it's not like TPC-Sawgrass, which is by far the hardest course I ever played, and one I had no business being on with the game I had (didn't have) at the time.

I'd love to play the Straights Course again (don't forget to capitalize proper names, children...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520