• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

stack and tilt swing?

YouTube - ‪short iron fon‬‎ hi guys this is my first try at stack and tilt please feel free to make comments on any good/bad things in my swing as im very keen to improve

Have you watched the videos or read the book? It's really nearly impossible to tell from a face-on angle, but it doesn't look like your hand path is as inward as prescribed, and you don't hold the right wrist angle throughout as you should. That's the hardest part of it I think, because it requires absolutely zero pivot stall. That's really hard to do if you're accustomed to feeling a whip point or stretch down at the ball - which is actually a flip, which is the thing S&T is so intent on curing. Gotta maintain that right wrist bend at all costs.

*EDIT* Sorry, I very rudely didn't compliment you on a nice and smooth swing, and welcome to you the board. So here's that :thumbs up:

hey brandon thanks for getting back to me ,i am trying to get hands more in so i just have to keep working at it,the problem is it feels so different,however no pain no gain ,thanks for comments

I thought it looked very good. I just got the book Saturday and haven't finished it yet, but I had to try it this afternoon at the range. Short irons were decent, but from the 5 iron up, I really sucked.

Maybe I should finish the book. :)

I thought it looked very good. I just got the book Saturday and haven't finished it yet, but I had to try it this afternoon at the range. Short irons were decent, but from the 5 iron up, I really sucked.

Doc that last comment cracks me up!

Read it all, and again. If you can't hit the longer clubs your handpath isn't inward enough either. The handpath has to be REALLY shallow, otherwise when you do the tush-tuck you'll come in steep as hell. Works okay on short clubs, doesn't work as they get longer. You already found that out. Notice they mention almost brushing your right thigh with your hands as you go back. You really need to video yourself from face-on and DTL (unless you work with an instructor, obviously) to see if you're doing it right, because it's almost guaranteed that you won't be. It has to feel so much shallower than it really is, I doubt you'll ever make yourself do it right without video or person help.

Now that's encouraging!

LOL, that sounds mean doesn't it? My bad. It's actually easy to learn from the book if you'll do exactly what it says. It's just so ridiculously inside feeling that you'll swear you're doing it wrong once you're doing it right, and while you think you're doing it right you aren't even close. That's how it was for me, at least. Dude had to pull my hands and club continually into place, then drag my club up and down a plane board, then show me pictures of what I swore had to be too shallow. I finally just gave in and it worked like hell. And I'm not even doing bona-fide S&T, just a strikingly similar pattern from a TGM instructor. So similar that a lot of the pictures he intended to show me last time we worked were of Mike and Andy, lol. I told him I already had the book and he said "cool, you've already seen this then." So he's been teaching me S&T without the name.

I've encountered a few people that told me they were doing S&T and I just had to sit there and think to myself "no, no you're not" because I'm not that ******* that tries to tell people how to swing. But they were all way, way too steep for the pattern. A lot of them were still playing great (way better than me, at least,) but they weren't hitting the positions by any stretch. Whatever works, though. Hell, if all people learn from the book is not to sway back and forth a foot it'll do a ton of people good, even if they don't change anything else.

i try and keep my swing as simple as possible,the stack and swing may work for others but for me i just use the look and hit technique,

. Dude had to pull my hands and club continually into place, then drag my club up and down a plane board, then show me pictures of what I swore had to be too shallow. I finally just gave in and it worked like hell. And I'm not even doing bona-fide S&T, just a strikingly similar pattern from a TGM .

By "too shallow", do you mean a really FLAT swing. Hands really behind you at the top?

By "too shallow", do you mean a really FLAT swing. Hands really behind you at the top?

Yeah. Hands end up roughly along the shoulder line because the maintaining of your spine position and hip tilt raises them a bit, but they feel like they're around your waist.

i think that by keeping a swing simple it can really help your game in a whole,that is why the look and hit technique is in my opinion a good way to get the swing to work just the way you want,

I tried it again this afternoon at the range. Did better, with every club except the driver. This may be a better way to swing with a club where you hit down on the ball, but I'm not convinced yet that it is better for a driver swing.

I had a friend teach me this 20 years ago before it had a name. He used to play for one of the UW schools and I never saw him over par. Also held (or still holds?) the amateur record at Black Wolf Run. In any case it works pretty well for me for my irons but not the driver.

I tried it again this afternoon at the range. Did better, with every club except the driver. This may be a better way to swing with a club where you hit down on the ball, but I'm not convinced yet that it is better for a driver swing.

You'll get it with the driver, too. Don't play it as far forward in your stance as you may be used to. If you're staying "on the circle" as they call it, you'll pull or pull/slice the hell out of it if you have the ball up at your big toe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520

3. 15,300