• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thank you Mr. Hogan

I was given Hardy's 1 plane 2 plane book for Christmas, and it made sense to me since I tend to have my back shoulder dive towards the ball, and a shallow swing path seems to lessen the consequences of that fault. Since Hardy mentions Hogan in the book, I figured I better go back to the source and reread 5 lessons. I did get some info out of Hardys book, in terms of backswing and swing path, but I probably wont pick up his book for along time. Besides the info in 5 lessons, its helpful to watch old film of Hogan to see his fundamentals applied to a flawless swing... Easily the nicest swing Ive ever seen footage of.

im went today to three different book stores looking for power golf the other Hogan book. but no one had it. i guess i'll have to order it anyone else read that one?

I just gotta keep working on it. Before my round yesterday, again I hit a bunch of near perfect shots on the range. I started out well with 3iron outdriving all 3 playing partners drivers, then unleashed the high fade bomb on the 2nd hole. Seems like I start straying away, getting sloppy with my grip and letting my arms seperate more and more. I always seem to get it back together on the par 3's, take my time and setup well, hit good shots regardless of club. I need to do that every shot and it just takes time to ingrain it I guess.

im went today to three different book stores looking for power golf the other Hogan book. but no one had it. i guess i'll have to order it anyone else read that one?

Don't do it, dude...

Power Golf was Hogan's first book and disagrees with 5 lessons pretty heavily. The history is that Hogan had swing problems, hooked the ball wildly and thus searched for the cure. 5 Lessons was the result of that search.

Thus: (A) Don't buy Power Golf except maybe as a collector/histprical type thing, as it is fundamentally unsound in many respects. (B) Don't read 5 lessons if you are trying to fix a slice. It could have just as well been named "How to Not Hook a Golfball", by Ben Hogan.

IMO the grip Hogan shows in 5lessons is a bit weak and the flaring of the left foot can lead to a push or fade. Overall, when I setup and swing well using his exact method, I get a high trajectory straight shot. A draw can be achieved by changing the swing path just slighty and a clubface slightly shut. Once I started using his backswing/downswing methods I started hitting through the ball harder and getting straighter shots. The problem I see is getting cleared too fast, ahead of impact and hitting a push right because the body is already facing the target at impact and the face is wide open. It has to be a smooth-powerful swing not a jerky transition and too quick from the top, which can lead to wide open blocks or getting on top of it and yanking it left.

There were several things in 5 lessons that promoted a fade for him (slice for others). The weak grip, the elbow action on the downswing (i.e. the elbow leading into the hip, a la a side-armed baseball throw)... There was also the shortened backswing and his "secret" which was never expressly stated in 5 lessons (cupping the L wrist at the top of the swing to put the club in an open position), but which most of his swing was built around.

I guess my point is that individual results will vary. As with any instruction, know your flaws, your weaknesses, strengths and swing before latching onto someone else's miracle cure. Hogan's 5 Lessons was a God-send for me, because I suffered from the same problems and outcomes that he had, and that he developed his fundamentals to fix. But a slicer can get hurt bad by blindly following his lessons.

Peace... :D

As someone that fights a fade/slice (mainly with long irons and woods), I was able to really take away several things that have me actually hitting a draw.

I always had a hell of a time finding the best left (top) hand position for me. I tended to hold the club too much in my fingers and moving it down more into the meatie part of the hand allows for a much more stable grip with lighter pressure.

Another thing was stance and foot position. The wider base and flexed back leg is helping to stop my sliding and, thus, a drastic reduction in fat shots. Also, dropping the right foot back a bit really helps to come into the ball from the inside and addresses my occasional OTT.

At the end of the day, I prefer a stronger bottom hand and a little bend at the hips but putting everything else into my foundation has drastically improved my ball striking. Best of all are the illustrations which will allow me to revisit and "check" things. Needless to say, this book is now a staple in my practicing.

since i got this book like two weeks ago and read it. all i have been doing is practicing what he said in the book. i did make a few adjustments manly because I'm a pretty big guy. but all in all it has improved my swing a lot my ss went up and the driver goes a lot straighter. i would how ever like to read a book that would be good for my short game wedge play mostly.

i would how ever like to read a book that would be good for my short game wedge play mostly.

extreme, you might want to check out Stan Utley's Art of the Short Game. Utley's method is right in line with Hogan's, and Utley is basically the anti-Pelz. A lot of people who were turned off by Pelz's style and methods really really like Utley. I actually liked both books, personally, but have been sticking with Utley's methods lately.

I really like Utley's setup and procedure because he advocates hitting from a square stance the vast, vast majority of the time, and not opening or closing the clubface or any extra modifications. It just feels like a simpler version, that doesn't lose anything in its effectiveness in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520

3. 15,300