• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The lucky bounce....

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never get one.

Hit a tree.....woods

Hit the cart path....woods

Hit a rock wall....woods

Hit the fairway....woods again ;)

It's enough to get a less resilient person down. :faintthud

Nah. Just stick a chainsaw in your bag. Scuba equipment to follow... ;)

Hit guy in adjoining fairway....he lands on ball and I have to take unplayable lie. :prop:

I was on a great roll with lucky bounces...couldn't lose a ball in the trees for awhile, everything kept popping out. Now...I can't hit the fairway, but I can hit the cartpath like nobody's business. I can't hit the green, but I can hit a sprinkler head just off the green that sends my ball careening into the woods.

Or like on Thursday, my friend can't hit the green because he skulled his ball right over it, but sure as shit that he can hit my ball that's sitting there for an 8 foot birdie putt to knock me to 25 feet for a 3 putt. Thanks man.

Silver said:
Or like on Thursday, my friend can't hit the green because he skulled his ball right over it, but sure as shit that he can hit my ball that's sitting there for an 8 foot birdie putt to knock me to 25 feet for a 3 putt. Thanks man.

I thought your friend gets a penalty and plays his ball where it lies, but you would be allowed to place your ball nearest where you thought it was with no penalty. Maybe I'm wrong.

~QQ

Rule 19 Ball in Motion Deflected or Stopped

19-5. By Another Ball
a. At Rest
If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke is deflected or stopped by a ball in play and at rest, the player must play his ball as it lies. In match play, there is no penalty. In stroke play, there is no penalty unless both balls lay on the putting green prior to the stroke, in which case the player incurs a penalty of two strokes.

My understanding of this is that, because he wasn't on the green (which I hadn't made clear), where I was on the green, we both just play it as it lies and there is no penalty. Is this correct?

Silver said:

19-5. By Another Ball
a. At Rest
If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke is deflected or stopped by a ball in play and at rest, the player must play his ball as it lies. In match play, there is no penalty. In stroke play, there is no penalty unless both balls lay on the putting green prior to the stroke, in which case the player incurs a penalty of two strokes.

My understanding of this is that, because he wasn't on the green (which I hadn't made clear), where I was on the green, we both just play it as it lies and there is no penalty. Is this correct?

No

He plays his as it lies, you get to replace yours to as close as possible to the original location (95% certain this is the rule... although I don't have a rulebook here) and there is no penalty (unless you both were already on the green as you said)

Good point VT, reading it further:

18-5. By Another Ball
If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced.

Shit, I wish I had've known that then.

Silver said:

19-5. By Another Ball
a. At Rest
If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke is deflected or stopped by a ball in play and at rest, the player must play his ball as it lies. In match play, there is no penatly
I just had a disagreement about this on Saturday. And I read in my rule book there IS a penatly for match play. It says you lose the hole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301