• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

There is a conspiracy in the equipment biz...

rock this is my first time reading this thread but i'm totally with you on the ta1's it'll be a shared experience as i'm getting them too, they are for real and i've tried them, beautiful stuff, i was going to get them from that site for 349 but my local range said they'd match the price and custom fit them for me, FREE, i remind you just if you don't know that the ones from the site are 2 degrees upright well even though since they're blades they can be bent back i couldn't do that around here , no place around here to do that,
as you should know i'm only 15 and i can't get a job yet, but i cut a deal with my mom that if i show i'm "commited" to the game then she'll get them for me, by committed i pretty much mean practicing more than normal, i'm going in for my fitting session in around a month or so

youngun5 said:
as you should know i'm only 15 and i can't get a job yet, but i cut a deal with my mom that if i show i'm "commited" to the game then she'll get them for me, by committed i pretty much mean practicing more than normal,

Gun,

Tell your mom i hit at least 100 balls a day, and as many as 500. I also practice during the winter months. I have a Callaway symbol tatooed on my butt (well, no, but that's a terrible vision, hey?) I also do housework.

Is that committed enough for her to buy me a set? I'll pay shipping!

:D

R35

spankdoggie said:
Yeah, I have a set of Golfsmith blades and I haven't even broken 90 yet. There really is no comparison to the hollow cheap feel of my Maxfli cavity backs, although I use them occasionally... :yellow:

Blades are the way to go, regardless of your handicap. You need to learn the hard way, just like life.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!
most people have been trained by marketing and non-golfing TV sportscasters to vastly underestimate their own ball striking prowess. and "Forgiveness" is a bit of an urban myth in itself. Do you guys really think that the perimeter weighting is actually altering the direction of the ball's flight?

FYI i carry the same irons, Pro forged right?

I don't think anyone is saying that cavity backs will alter the ball's flight. But they do have a larger sweet spot which means a greater surface area of the club face will provide you with a decent shot. This is different to blades where you have to hit it right on the target to get a good result.

Having said that however, I believe that cavity backs don't really have a "sweet spot" in the way that blades do, which is why there is nothing like the feeling of a shot out of the middle of a blade!

The other point concerning blades is that many people feel they cannot play them because they aren't good enough to hit the sweet spot consistently. Now this may be true, but think about all the mis-hits you had last time you were out on the course, mis-hits being defined as times you missed your target. Now ask yourself:

Were these mi****s the result of hitting the ball with the toe or heel of the club? Or, and I think this is more likely the case, were they the result of good contact but a faulty swing plane? I think most decent golfers can hit the sweetspot fairly consistently, but it is the swing plane coming in to the ball that causes a hook or slice. And cavity backs certainly don't straighten hooks and slices, even when they come straight out of the sweetspot!

So I guess my point is this - why not enjoy the feeling of puring a blade, because it's a much better pay-off than forgiveness that you really don't need.

:killtard:

grazo said:
I don't think anyone is saying that cavity backs will alter the ball's flight. But they do have a larger sweet spot which means a greater surface area of the club face will provide you with a decent shot. This is different to blades where you have to hit it right on the target to get a good result.

Having said that however, I believe that cavity backs don't really have a "sweet spot" in the way that blades do, which is why there is nothing like the feeling of a shot out of the middle of a blade!

The other point concerning blades is that many people feel they cannot play them because they aren't good enough to hit the sweet spot consistently. Now this may be true, but think about all the mis-hits you had last time you were out on the course, mis-hits being defined as times you missed your target. Now ask yourself:

Were these mi****s the result of hitting the ball with the toe or heel of the club? Or, and I think this is more likely the case, were they the result of good contact but a faulty swing plane? I think most decent golfers can hit the sweetspot fairly consistently, but it is the swing plane coming in to the ball that causes a hook or slice. And cavity backs certainly don't straighten hooks and slices, even when they come straight out of the sweetspot!

So I guess my point is this - why not enjoy the feeling of puring a blade, because it's a much better pay-off than forgiveness that you really don't need.

Very well said. Also, the larger, semi-sweet spot on cb's don't give enough feedback to clue you in on exactly why you did short, or long, etc... The blades, as I am experiencing them, don't so much rob much more in distance than, say, my Tommy Armours; they just tell me in more detail what caused the miss. i.e. That one was missed on the toe. Or that one was really thin, I didn't fire my hips like I should've. I seriously think this is why I'm hitting so much better after only less than a week.

I also have to mention this, and I can't say if it goes for all blades, but... The mp14s gave me more distance, even than graphite cb's. I went from a 130ish yard PW, 165ish 7 iron, 215ish 3 iron (that was VERY inconsistent) to overshooting a 140 yrd green completely with PW yesterday, hitting 175 yrd 7 iron to center of green into the wind yesterday, to a 230 yrs 3 iron off the tee yesterday on a very damp course with unmowed fairways. So, if a mis*hit seems to lose me 10 yards with the mp14s, and I gained 10 yrds with the blades, have I lost anything? :)

grazo said:

Very well said. Also, the larger, semi-sweet spot on cb's don't give enough feedback to clue you in on exactly why you did short, or long, etc... The blades, as I am experiencing them, don't so much rob much more in distance than, say, my Tommy Armours; they just tell me in more detail what caused the miss. i.e. That one was missed on the toe. Or that one was really thin, I didn't fire my hips like I should've. I seriously think this is why I'm hitting so much better after only less than a week.

I also have to mention this, and I can't say if it goes for all blades, but... The mp14s gave me more distance, even than graphite cb's. I went from a 130ish yard PW, 165ish 7 iron, 215ish 3 iron (that was VERY inconsistent) to overshooting a 140 yrd green completely with PW yesterday, hitting 175 yrd 7 iron to center of green into the wind yesterday, to a 230 yrs 3 iron off the tee yesterday on a very damp course with unmowed fairways. So, if a mis*hit seems to lose me 10 yards with the mp14s, and I gained 10 yrds with the blades, have I lost anything? :)

Oh, and Bravo-- feel free to hit em, man. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520