• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking of becoming a geek

Planet_Boom

Reaction score
Hey guy, this is my first post after reading up on this forum for a couple of weeks now.

Anyways, I'm thinking of buying myself a geek dct but there are so many options available! I will be buying this club blind as I do not have the option to try before I buy.

As a reletively new golfer I reckon I'd be better off getting more loft, so was thinking of a 12 deg?

Shaft choice, I'm quite fond of the UST V2 65g stiff cut at 44.5" - i'd rather accuracy over distance.

Could I get some comments on this combo, do you think it will work or not likely?

I also have some questions about the club head as well. Firstly, is there a significant difference in head size between a 460cc and the 450cc dct? I have grown to like the larger club head and dont know whether I would like a smaller headed driver. Also, I prefer a head with a completely neutural face as a closed face puts me off and doesn't give me confidence at address. Am I able to request a head with a a neutural/slightly open face when ordering - is this common? Finally, does the head come black or dark blue?

Does any one have any additional phots of this club that have not been posted on this forum - especially one with both a 450cc and 460cc side by side?

I'd appreciate as many responses as possible as I am hoping to order this club for the end of the month - early xmas present.

Thanks in advance!

You say you want a 12-deg. head because you are a "new player". You should choose loft based on launch monitor data.

If your swingspeed is low enough that you need a 12-deg head to get a proper launch angle with the V2 shaft, then you should probably get the regular-flex V2. It plays stiff to flex anyway. And launch monitor data, interpreted by a good clubfitter, will tell you what flex you need.

I was hitting a V2 R-flex in a 10.5-deg. driver, and found the launch angle to be too low, although for my 95mph swing, the R-flex was very accurate. I am looking at getting a Geek 12-deg. to test with that shaft. I suspect it will be a killer combo for me. I really liked the accuracy of the V2, and if the launch angle had been higher it would still be in my bag right now.

Not sure whyI feel the need to do this, since the BB Solutions 130 shaft I switched to is an awesome shaft.

I think the only difference between 450cc and 460cc driver is 10cc.

welcome to the forum
I agree with Eracer that there seems to be a mismatch with the 12* head and stiff flex V2
how far you you hit your current driver/7iron? have you been fit for any other clubs?

the DCT is known as low launching head, so 12* might not be all that crazy

I don't think there's a significant difference between 450cc and 460cc - as far as pictures - look for a picture of a TM r5 next to an r7 460 - there are plenty of each out there so i'm guessing someone took a picture - the r5 is 450cc

I have a slightly used (excellent condition) 12* GEEK DCT head sitting here. I will sell it for $65 + $10 shipping. If your interested PM me.

I have a slightly used (excellent condition) 12* GEEK DCT head sitting here. I will sell it for $65 + $10 shipping. If your interested PM me.

Is it the Titanium model? And what is the tip size?

All the GEEKS are titanium LOL.

.335 tip size.

If you're going Geek I'd take the Failsafe over the DCT as it appears to be hotter and higher loft. There's some reviews (comparisons) of the two in the review section here I think. And a BB Solutions 130 shaft is the greatest thing I've hit. The V2 is a good shaft though. :)

My distance is a tad lacking, hitting my 7 iron 150 yrd and driver 230.

I was fitted for a Callaway FT-5 a couple of months ago and the pro suggested I needed quite alot of loft so went for a 11deg. I thought the 12deg would be more apporpriate in the geek dct as it is a low spinning head as was pointed out, therefore I'd need more loft than normal.

Regarding shaft, I was fitted for a Aldila NVS 55g reg which I hit well but fancied trying out some new shaft options if I went for the geek. Thats when I decided on the V2.

As I live on the other side of the pond from you guys I am hoping to order my geek from bighitgolf. It was here that I was told the V2 wasnt as still as the NVS so thats why I decided to go for the stiff V2.

I'm sold then - it might work for you, although, I'm not sure the Geek DCT is as forgiving as the FT5

and a 150yrd 7i isn't really lacking in distance - it sounds realistic which is a breathe of fresh air on an internet golf forum (no offense to those long hitters here)

Well its nice to know that my distance isnt too bad then.

However, can some one confirm how the stiffness of the V2 and NVS compare? I have the option to get the shaft changed at a later date, but want to make the right choice first time. So is the reg V2 quite whippy or still quite a firm shaft?

Compared to the NVS the V2 is not whippy at all. I dont know who said that but I think the V2 plays a lil bit more stiffer than the NVS, now the Proto is a different story but thatis not the question here.

I've had a NVS stiff (Rapture) and a V2 regular (905R) and they were about the same flex IMHO. :)

I actually liked the NVS better.

Compared to the NVS the V2 is not whippy at all. I dont know who said that but I think the V2 plays a lil bit more stiffer than the NVS, now the Proto is a different story but thatis not the question here.

I can't compare the two, but I don't see how anyone could call the UST V2 "whippy".

If you're going Geek I'd take the Failsafe over the DCT as it appears to be hotter and higher loft. There's some reviews (comparisons) of the two in the review section here I think. And a BB Solutions 130 shaft is the greatest thing I've hit. The V2 is a good shaft though. :)

Word of caution, I'm nearly certain the original FS driver is nonconforming come 2008 - it may not effect your judgement for recreational golf but might be something you'd like to bear in mind

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520