• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This rookie needs your input

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
I'm some what new to the game of golf and need input on purchasing new irons... I have a set of very old Mcgregor CB31 irons now that a friend gave me to get started... Barely reaching under 100score.. The past 2 days a friend of mine let me borrow his Callaway x-16 steelhead irons. I played yesterday and the day before with them and the feel is unreal compared to mine and much more forgiving than mine.. and past two scores with the x-16's were 89 and 90.. If I can find these new on ebay should I purchase these or are there more out there newer models that are better??? Thanks in advance

1st off, welcome to ShotTalk, and if the X-16's feel that good to you and are available for a good enough price, go for it. You might want to look around and try hitting some others if that is an option?

Welcome Aboard. :)

If you like the X-16's, by all means get a set of X-16's. eBay is an option for finding some good deals on used sets, but if your looking to get a brand new set it may be a bit more difficult as Callaway is currently releasing X-22's and still has the X-20's and X-18's they are pushing out the door. Your best deal would probably be getting a nice used set of X-16's either via eBay or a place like Global Golf (see link on the home page here at Shottalk.) Another option is Callaway Pre-Owned which several members have had good luck with and I think they are even having discounts during the holiday season. You may pay a bit more than on the bay, but you know you are getting the real deal through Callaway Pre Owned.

If your dead set on getting a brand spanking new set of irons, probably the oldest Callaway that will be fairly easy to find are the X-18's. I would suggest getting out to thy local golf establishment and giving them a go before pulling the trigger on a purchase though. It is always wise to try before you buy if it is at all possible. Newer models may be sexier, but not necessarily better than some of the older models. Finding a set of lightly used older irons will save you a ton of money compared to buying brand new (like I should talk :laugh:) irons which you can put toward more rounds of golf, instruction, and (of course) other clubs to fill out your bag.

Please tread with caution. Acquiring new golf clubs can become an addiciton and you could end up like like the rest of us before too long.

No fair warning him Tim, I have some old stuff laying around I need to sell, we can always use another Club Ho amongst us, :laugh:

No fair warning him Tim, I have some old stuff laying around I need to sell, we can always use another Club Ho amongst us, :laugh:

Oh don't worry, he chose to post in the equipment section first and he already has one foot on the edge of that slippery slope. He will be needing more equipment even if he doesn't realise it just yet. :laugh:

I have found a few brand new callaway x-16's ranging between $275-$325. I just didn't know if the x-20's or other models were as forgiving and easy to hit straight as the x-16's before I decide to buy some... Thanks again

When looking for new irons, especially when you are spending a little money, there is no substitute on getting fitted. Specifically if you are new to the game. It will benefit you more than a seasoned professional, as a new golfer is less likely to know what they need. You may think getting fitting is costly, but there is usually no extra cost associated and in the end it is usually cheaper and possibly even cheaper than eBay. As a beginning golfer, while not unheard of, it is unlikely you will need a 3i or possibly a 4i. When looking at a new set they will order only what you need, so you figure that is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than buy a stock set.

You could also go with a nice component set of something like Wishons by a professional clubfitter and save a nice chunk of change, unless you have your heart set on Callaway. The key though, get fitted by a quality professional to assure you are getting the right clubs for your game. Contrary to what many think, it is usually cheaper for the reasons mentioned above. There is also alot more to it than just finding a club head you like. You get a great set of clubs cheap with the wrong shaft, you may as well use your existing clubs as they may play better.

If you want Callaway, and are uncertain of professionals in your area, may be worth checking out demo days, and getting feedback from one of their professionals.
Callaway Golf Demo Days

I have found a few brand new callaway x-16's ranging between $275-$325. I just didn't know if the x-20's or other models were as forgiving and easy to hit straight as the x-16's before I decide to buy some... Thanks again

If your happy with the X-16's, I would stick with them unless you go out and try some of the newer models and find that they work for you.

At this stage on your golf journey, having a consistant set that your comfortable with is more important than getting the latest and greatest. If you truely want to get more forgiveness than the X-16, you may wish to try Cally's Big Bertha series but you will be limited if you wish to expand on your short making ability. If you are shooting in the low 90's and high 80's, you are probably better off sticking in the X series iron line up so you can evolve your shot making to the next level when you are ready to do so.

If I could cut 10 strokes by changing irons, HECK YEAH I'd do it. If you can afford them, for sure.

Keep your eyes open on Ebay for deals. . .and definitely checkout Cally Pre-owned. Cally has been sending some great deals out lately by email. Get on their mailing list. You may end up with a better deal than on Ebay.

It's going to be hard to beat that deal. Hierko makes good clubs too.

They are sweet irons, if i was good iron player i would have kept them. With the FST shafts they are accurate as hell. My game is geared for a low kick high launch g.i. irons. These are player's g.i.'s, forgiving and workable.

Callaway's X12's and X14's were unique. Beginning with the X16's, I haven't seen a lot of difference in clubhead design. The 16's, 18's, 20's... and now... 22's each will give you a little different color medallion and each generation will cost a few more dollars. The X16's, in my opinion, would be a great place to start!!

You need to understand each of us on this board have some deep-seated opinions. (Yes, we can be rather hard headed!) There are some of us who are Ping nuts. Others prefer their Mizzy's, Titty's, TMAG's, Callaways or whatever is our choice du joir. You, simply, cannot find a better company to begin to build a relationship with than Callaway. Callaway has produced an extremely high quality product and backs that product with one of the best customer service departments in the business.

If when you played the X16's, you enjoyed what you saw and felt and a level of confidence was ignited.... go for it!!!! Find a good buy on some X16's and don't look back!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?