• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour Championship

longiron

Reaction score
Just sitting here wathcing and got to thinking, what does everyone think about Phil missing it. ESPN seems to be staying away from it, and have not heard The Golf Channel say anything either. And while im on the subject does anyone buy Phil's happy go lucky attitude. I dont at all. I think he is tring to be something he isnt , but maybe thats just me.

Why shouldn't he be happy go lucky. Gazillions of dollars, hot wife and maybe the best job on the planet. My question would be why some of the others seem so grumpy.

As far as the Tour Championship goes I'd say it's his call. While he's not explaining, people seem to think it has to do with his family and his kids being back in school etc. If that's it then more power to him for having his priorities in line.

DaveE said:
Why shouldn't he be happy go lucky. Gazillions of dollars, hot wife and maybe the best job on the planet. My question would be why some of the others seem so grumpy.
Because its fake. I think he is tring to be the next Arnold. Cant be the next Jack so ill be the next best thing.

longiron said:
Because its fake. I think he is tring to be the next Arnold. Cant be the next Jack so ill be the next best thing.

Honestly I have no idea if he's really a good guy or not but I can't criticize him for being nice to fans. Even if it's not all real, personally I'll still give him some credit for making an effort.

I know several months back there were rumors being spread that he had huge debts and was having an affair and even talk of a love child but nothing ever came of it. It seems wierd to me that trying to be a nice guy makes you a target these days but the times they are a changin'.

It's good to see Woods in the Hunt so far today. Hopefully he can keep it up through out the weekend.:)

I've gotta go with asshat on this one.

It seems to me that lots of people worship the pros that complain, bitch and moan and then string a guys up for being nice, and call him fake.

I've seen nothing to prove that PM is a fake. All I can go on is what I see. All I see is him in interviews making comments like:

"If you expect me to say something negative, you are wrong. I get to make great money doing what other people do on their vacations. It ain't gonna happen."

I can respect that additude. Much more than I can respect other pros who slam their putters into the green with missed putts, or complain to officials because of supposed spike lengths, or refuse autographs.

Unless you have proof otherwise, long, the proof is in the pudding. That pudding is press statements and hours signing autographs.

bdcrowe said:
I've gotta go with asshat on this one.

It seems to me that lots of people worship the pros that complain, bitch and moan and then string a guys up for being nice, and call him fake.

I've seen nothing to prove that PM is a fake. All I can go on is what I see. All I see is him in interviews making comments like:

"If you expect me to say something negative, you are wrong. I get to make great money doing what other people do on their vacations. It ain't gonna happen."

I can respect that additude. Much more than I can respect other pros who slam their putters into the green with missed putts, or complain to officials because of supposed spike lengths, or refuse autographs.

Unless you have proof otherwise, long, the proof is in the pudding. That pudding is press statements and hours signing autographs.
Just because a guy comes off as nice doesnt mean he is, Im not saying he isnt all im saying is I dont buy it. You are talking about Tiger not signing autographs. Even as popular as Phil is the number of people that ask him for autographs compared to Tiger isnt even close.

Nah. I'm talking about Tiger raking greens when he misses a putt, hitting his bag, allowing his caddy to thug people during tourneys, complaining to the R&A about technology when the field starts to catch him...

And, I'm not singling you out, as I respect your opinion. But to say something like "He comes off as nice, but it must be fake." is akin to saying "The sky looks blue, but it must be purple", or "The ground is dry, but it must be raining."

Seems kind of backwards to judge someone on what they haven't done instead of giving the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

As an example, people call me an ass, cause I prove 'em right. ;)

A guy I play golf with is a local divorce attorney. Very well regarded and voted by his peers as the 'best in the business' here in 2005.

He handed Steve Lowery's divorce several years ago. Steve is a journeyman PGA player who has never had huge success but he has been on the USPGA Tour for 18 years and has qualified again for 2006. From this - I think we can agree that over 18 years of continuous play - he has spent a lot of time on the course with virtually everyone - especially in those Thursday and Friday rounds when you can be paired with just about anyone.

Lowery says that Mickelson is known on the tour as being extremely superficial. Has an "on camera persona" that is much different from who is really is....just one players opinion but...

Bravo said:
A guy I play golf with is a local divorce attorney. Very well regarded and voted by his peers as the 'best in the business' here in 2005.

He handed Steve Lowery's divorce several years ago. Steve is a journeyman PGA player who has never had huge success but he has been on the USPGA Tour for 18 years and has qualified again for 2006. From this - I think we can agree that over 18 years of continuous play - he has spent a lot of time on the course with virtually everyone - especially in those Thursday and Friday rounds when you can be paired with just about anyone.

Lowery says that Mickelson is known on the tour as being extremely superficial. Has an "on camera persona" that is much different from who is really is....just one players opinion but...

My only point was even if he's not always "that" happy I still give him credit for making an effort. There are days I'd like to bitch slap some of my clients but I wear a smile instead because it's the professional thing to do.

Phil may be a professional athlete but I think he understands that he's an entertainer as well. So he may be putting on an act but most of us do the same thing in our own careers.

Dave:

I think that is most of what the guy was saying. Mickelson is extraordinarily aware of the press and how they can affect the public's perception of him and his career. Apparently he spends quite a bit of effort "playing to the press" while otherwise, they say that he could care less about spending any time with the other guys off the course...

I havent heard any headlines about whats going on but I think Phil skipped it to spend time with the wife and kids. I mean lets be realistic here, sit at home with Amy for 4 days and play with the kids that he hardly gets to spend time with all summer long OR go play a game and make a few bucks??

The choice would be simple for most people. I dont care that he wasnt there. If you cant put 100% into the tourny you shouldnt play in it. Its late in the season so Im surprised that many people showed up. Its not like its a major and he is certainly in the money rankings and doesnt have to defend anything or qualify to stay on tour heh.

IMO Way to go Bryant, I was rooting for Davis to get his act together but it didnt happen. But I was glad to see someone new win. I like Tiger and all the rest of the guys but its nice to see new people get a piece of the cake now and then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520