• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Walk or Ride

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
I have noticed that I play my best golf when I am walking with a caddy. I find that the time in between shots that you gain from walking is good in two respects: 1st you can forget the bad swing that you just made, 2nd you can come down off of the high of the great swing you just made. The problem, unless you play on a country club, or a pro tour you most likely don't have the option of having a caddy. The solution that I have found that works for me is this. I play with my dad. He can not longer walk and thus must use a cart all the time. I throw my bag on the cart, and while he drives I walk. My handicap dropped from a 10 to a 4 when I made this switch, and I highly recommend it if you have someone that you play with that is always in a cart.

Just my $0.02 take it or leave it

There's a nice course a couple of miles from my house that still has caddies, but the initiation is a little pricey. Bunch of snobs, mostly.

Which is why I use a Sun Mountain Speed Cart when I walk. Trouble is, I haven't walked 18 holes in about a year, so it would probably kill me.

I like to walk... and play much MUCH better when I walk for some reason. Only time I've ever had a Caddy was 3 rounds at Sawgrass... and yeah that was pimp, but obviously can't afford anything like that all the time lol.

I used to walk about 95% of my rounds where we used to live, and fully agree that it is really good for your game in large part for the reasons you mention as well as having more time to think about your upcoming shot. Up here with the terrain and the courses, and specific the distances of some of the layouts it is not really an option so I rarely walk.

The course we are looking to join this year is probably one of the few that is really walkable that I would play, unfortunately they require you take a cart during the times we normally play.

As a result up here, and that I normally play with my wife who likes the convenience of a cart and we hit a lot of staggered distances, I will try to walk as much as I can and will many time drop myself at her shot and meet her at her next assuming it is conducive to pace of play. Since doing this it seems to help my game. Actually I think it helps hers as well, as she does not have to worry about waiting for my shot.

For years, walked 95% of the time. Bad knee/knees made round, each year, a little more painful. Finally put my name on the cart shed list at our course. After a 3-year wait, name came up over this past winter. Purchased our own cart this years and will, now, ride 100% of the time.

Hope to still have the opportunity to walk 9, after work, when not in the area of our home course.

I enjoyed walking and always thought I played better when walking. In my opinion, you have a much better "feel" for distances and lies when walking. However, aging is something that is difficult to restrict. In fact, I only know of one sure solution to stopping the aging process and I'd rather not consider that alternative. So, we'll ride.

Can't really walk any more... back and knees won't let me. I used to be a confirmed walker, but circumstances have conspired to change that. I still walk as much as I physically can when I have a cart partner to take some of the driving chores.

I also used to believe in the myth that I couldn't play as well riding as I could walking, but like most things, that was simply because I wasn't used to it. I've learned the adjustments needed to play just as well from a cart as I ever did walking, and I won't believe that anyone else can't make the same change if they just get over their own mental blocks. If the starts and stops or the faster pace are the problem (seems to be the most common complaint), then all you have to do is drive slower... a cart can be held back to a walking pace.

I ride 99% of the time, but I generally stick to the cart path and walk to my ball. That way I still get some exercise.

Besides, the way I've played the last few rounds, I couldn't walk and carry enough beer to ease the suffering, :laugh:

Love to walk, and a good caddy can make a huge difference on an unfamiliar course. A bad caddy is a pain in rear (as well as the wallet).

Love to walk, and a good caddy can make a huge difference on an unfamiliar course. A bad caddy is a pain in rear (as well as the wallet).

For some reason I see this as hot. Maybe I'm just off today.

I walk almost always, except tournaments.

I too have been contemplating walking more. Now if i go out with my buddies on an evening round of 18 or something i will probably ride, to keep up and what not. But ive been on this big workin out/lifestyle change kick for month and a half now, dropped 15lbs already and gained some descent muscle back (used to work out in college then got lazy for 4-5yrs, haha). SO im thinking walking twilights alone this year will be a good chance for some exercise to help with that, but also allow me to slow down my game and really think about what im doing with no pressure of worrying about people waiting on me or watching me, etc haha. If i totally biff a shot ill just take it again, and let others play through if need be. Really think it could help me, especially with my chipping feel and my putting which is where i struggle most. Gonna start doin the twilights/spring golf w/e i can walking as soon as places open up, cant wait!

I couldn't find a great shot of her, but Yani Tseng's caddy is pretty cute:

acache.daylife.com_imageserve_0gf91rtguD3Iv_610x.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?