• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Weird situation with my wife’s driver.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to tell you guys a weird story.
My wife has been golfing for a pair of years now. Nothing serious (par 3 course every couple of weeks, 9 holes around every month or two). She has a Strata Ladies flex set. She has been doing … alright I guess.

Last week we went to the course. She was having problems driving so I told her kind of joking if she wanted to try mine. I bought a new driver a couple of months ago (Cobra LTDx with Stiff HZD X Blue) that I haven’t been able to make peace with.

Well, she tried it and for some stupid reason she drived three straight shots on the next three holes with 200, 220 and 214 (pretty good distance for her), and I’m still baffled. I would have never expected her to get a stiff shaft and do better than with hers!!!!!

Well, the driver is going on her bag next round for sure 🤣🤣🤣.

I still dont understand …. How could that be?

It all depends on the swing and how the specific shaft works with that swing. Heck! I'm going on 78 years old. Have tried senior flex, regular flex, etc. in my drivers. Nothing works for my 45 mph swing speed like my "S" flex shaft. But, I have a swing that would make Charles Barkly's look like Tiger Woods!
If it works... go with it!! Too many people get wrapped up with what the shaft says, not how it works. A year of so ago, one of the guys in our group was really suffering with his driver. Couldn't get any distance and/or control. I had an extra Callaway shaft in my cart shed. Had him come by and switched shafts in his driver. He has become one of the most consistent drivers in our group. Constantly reminds everyone he really likes "playing with my shaft"!!
I couldn't make the shaft I took out of his driver work either. It went bye bye when I dumped my Epic for this Paradym.

Good if she enjoys the new driver maybe she wants to play more?

Proof that golf is dumb. Rhyme? Reason? Hell naw, throw that shit out the window! 😂

I've always heard the same as what Limpalong said.

However, based on those distances she probably has a swing speed around 85-90mph. Possibly more, as she may hit it even further if properly fitted. I believe ladies flex is generally for speeds around 70-75mph, stiff for around 95-105mph.

So do the math. She probably would hit stiff shaft better, and straighter and more reliable. Probably same if you tried to hit a senior flex, you would likely have a hard time controlling the ball and hit it short than if you went to a x-stiff.

... also, just guessing, the shaft you use could possibly be as much as 2-3"" longer than the one on her driver?? Which adds distance if you can control the club.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good if she enjoys the new driver maybe she wants to play more?
Yeah she is hyped. We do play as much as we can to be honest, but now she is thrilled and drive. Had to cancel tomorrow because it’s been pouring the last few days, but we are on. Now I need a new driver hehehe

Stiffer shafts usually tend to lead to straighter drives. Noodle shafts may increase distance (not necessarily true for everyone) but require better technique at higher swing speeds to control.

As Pa Jayhawk stated, those distances are definitely long enough for your wife to move into a stiffer shaft in her clubs. Is Stiff the right flex? It could be, but as long as it is working for her I would not change it.

Maybe I need a stiffer shaft……

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54
Back