• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Well it's 3:30 am in the Wisconsin north woods

300 lbs..about

Huge buck shot by Amish guy bowhunting in Ohio... 30+ points!! 24+" inside spread, green scored 196 or something like that.

See R35, we have big bucks down here too!!:)

amishbuck3.jpg

amishbuck2.jpg

amishbuck.jpg

That deer was so old, that he was probably deaf and blind.

Somebody killed Bambi's great, great, grandfather.

Big buck.

I'm a fan of typical, personally. They just look better.

Amish? Did he use a catapult? :D

R35

Big buck.

I'm a fan of typical, personally. They just look better.

Amish? Did he use a catapult? :D

R35

I'm betting since most Amish around central Wisconsin drive pickup trucks, he used the latest single cam compound technology! And I agree on typicals looking better then non-typicals.

Are you kidding me? I take that any day of the week!!!

Not to thread hijack, but would anyone know the trajectory/ballistics for a 165 grain 30.06 round fired from a 24" barrel?

I have an unaltered M1917 Winchester, that I haven't fired in a long time, I'm thinking of taking it to the range. Rear sights are adjustable 200 yards to 1600 yards! I can't imagine anyone hitting a target over 500 yards with iron sights, except maybe Sgt. York.

The Remington site has a nice trajectory table. I had a friend with an old M1A1(?) Springfield "sniper" rifle with those type of sites and I've watched him hit RUNNING deer with it. You CAN hit at 500 yards with open sites if you know how to aim and "squeeze" the trigger.:)

53" drop at 500 yards and velocity way down. :) Heck, at 1600 yards, it's probably got a greater vertical than horizontal vector.
jpg.JPG

The Remington site has a nice trajectory table. I had a friend with an old M1A1(?) Springfield "sniper" rifle with those type of sites and I've watched him hit RUNNING deer with it. You CAN hit at 500 yards with open sites if you know how to aim and "squeeze" the trigger.:)

I can't even see a deer at 500 yards. And you better have the right bullet to kill a deer at that range. I guarantee you there are too many nimrods out there who'll grab a box of 30.06 Federal Match ammo and try to impress their friends with a long shot. Oh, they might hit the poor thing. They might even hit it in center mass. But there's no way that bullet is going to expand and do any killing. As least not quickly.

WBL - I know you're not advocating taking 500 yard running shots at deer with a 30.06 with open sights. But I RESPECTFULLY submit that even talking about things like that is counter to responsible gun advocacy. I believe that you yourself are a responsible and skilled hunter. We must, as responsible gun owners, discourage any rhetoric that paints us otherwise. So forgive me if I sound high-handed here. I just feel very strongly about this.

got my first deer in Wisconsin...four hours later we're enjoying iron skillet sauted tenderloins, medium rare...piece of heaven

WBL - I know you're not advocating taking 500 yard running shots at deer with a 30.06 with open sights. But I RESPECTFULLY submit that even talking about things like that is counter to responsible gun advocacy. I believe that you yourself are a responsible and skilled hunter. We must, as responsible gun owners, discourage any rhetoric that paints us otherwise. So forgive me if I sound high-handed here. I just feel very strongly about this.

Eraser

You've got me confused. Where do I "advocate" shooting deer at 500 yards with open sights? I only stated that my very skilled friend could do it (consistently). If people take that as meaning it's something easy to do then I'm at fault but this guy shoots every other day all year long. He's the best shot I've ever seen. I hope this "fixes" any confusion as to what I was mentioning. We were talking more about shooting at the range with open sights.:confused: <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

You CAN hit at 500 yards with open sites if you know how to aim and "squeeze" the trigger.
WBL

Now, you boys don't fight. :)

I had a friend with an old M1A1(?) Springfield "sniper" rifle with those type of sites

Sure it isn't a M1903 or M1917? Those are both bolt action. The M1 Garand is gas operated.

I just found a nice mongraph on the M1917, and supposedly the first 10,000 produced by Winchester are the most valuable. Mine is serial number 9106. Anyone know what it might be worth? Enough to retire on? :D

You've got me confused. Where do I "advocate" shooting deer at 500 yards with open sights? I only stated that my very skilled friend could do it (consistently). If people take that as meaning it's something easy to do then I'm at fault but this guy shoots every other day all year long. He's the best shot I've ever seen. I hope this "fixes" any confusion as to what I was mentioning. We were talking more about shooting at the range with open sights.:confused: <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I guess I was confused. My bad. You mentioned (what what seemed like pride) your friend hitting a running deer, and then mentioned 500-yard shots in the same paragraph. I put the two together.

I'll shut up now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423