• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What’s your grip size.

gunning4u

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone’s grip size is. I have always played with just a standard grip size. Last night I watched a video about club fitting and they covered how to properly fit grip size. After watching I was playing around with my grip and noticed how my fingers were digging into my palm. In the video they stated that if your two middle fingers severely dig into your palm you might need to go to a larger grip. So today I went to Golf Galaxy and talked to one of their sales reps showed him my grip and he said I could go to a mid size grip. So I hit a few balls with the mid size grip and wow what a difference. My grip pressure went way down I didn’t have to squeeze the crap out of the club during my swing. I play with out a glove and have always liked the feel of GP Tour Velvets but could never use them because a standard grip size would always slip, not any more. I couldn’t lock the butt end of the grip under the meaty part of my lower palm and it feelt like the grip was twisting on my down swing. I’m getting long winded here but I was just curious what grip size everyone is playing and if they have ever been fit before.

Standard size grip with two additional layers of tape under the lower portion.

I wear a men's medium-large glove, and play with a midsize grip. The Lamkin Crossline's on my clubs just fill my grip nicely.

I've got large hands but short fingers (XLarge Cadet glove) and have done okay with standard grips. This last year though I'm having some "issues" with arthritis in the morning where my hands don't want to "close" all the way. Usually it's okay after I'm up an hour but the oversize grip thought HAS crossed my mind. I guess as long as I play okay and can grip the club lightly enough I won't change but down the road ....... :)

Standard size grip with two additional layers of tape under the lower portion.

chemboy2

To help "release" sooner?

To help "release" sooner?

Nope, just feel. For whatever reason I've always preferred a thicker grip. Even playing baseball growing up I preferred a thicker bat handle.

WB that a plus that I haven’t even thought about my hands would get pretty sore after a long practice session.

I was fitted for grip size when i got my specs for my irons all checked, i didnt pay any attention to it though because i love the feel of being able to twist my hands a bit with the standard size grip. Just used to it. When i get back home i can check on the fitting report wat grip size is "recommended" for my hands (i have pretty big hands, it is an oversize grip i know that).

I use Midsized. I think you will find if the grip is too big you will likely have a tendency to push the ball more, or possibly added fade. The bigger the grip the more difficult it is to release and turn over the wrist at impact. I was fitted for Midsized, then when I got my new irons a few years ago the guy said I should go back to standard for whatever reason. I don't know why because it is obvious to everyone else I have checked with that the Midsize are the correct grip for me. That was a mistake and I eventually cut off the standard grips and went back to midsize. Worked out O.K though, because I switch to the full cords in the process and it was one of the better things I did

I am self fitted using the finger method. I have the same hands as WBL apparently, X-Large Cadet glove. Most Mid-Size grips work really well, and I have had some good luck with the Winn Excel Midsize and GP Tour Velvets in Midsize. Unfortunately, when I shifted in the the GP Decade, the Midsize either is bigger or feels bigger than the TV's so I was not too comfortable with them. I run the GP decade midsize in my wedges (a little oversized helps quiet the hand/wrist action), but in all of my other clubs I run the standard GP decade with 3 wraps of tape. Feels perfect.

Grip fitting should be done by feel. Pick the grip you feel most comfortable holding. If your not comfortable, you will squeeze the grip regardless of the size.

I only use .580 no rib Golf Pride Tour Velvet, logo on the bottom and one layer of tape. I wear a medium-large glove.

I also wear a med/lg glove and use standard grips. I have one mid-size on a 5W I just never replaced. Doesn't seem to make much difference. For me it's whatever is comfortable, not something that is going to affect my play unless I really dwell on it.

I am self fitted using the finger method. I have the same hands as WBL apparently, X-Large Cadet glove. Most Mid-Size grips work really well, and I have had some good luck with the Winn Excel Midsize and GP Tour Velvets in Midsize. Unfortunately, when I shifted in the the GP Decade, the Midsize either is bigger or feels bigger than the TV's so I was not too comfortable with them. I run the GP decade midsize in my wedges (a little oversized helps quiet the hand/wrist action), but in all of my other clubs I run the standard GP decade with 3 wraps of tape. Feels perfect.

The standard GP Decade felt thicker than the .580 TV to me as well.

Grip fitting should be done by feel. Pick the grip you feel most comfortable holding. If your not comfortable, you will squeeze the grip regardless of the size.

I completely agree. Although, getting "fit" for grips gets in the right general direction I would think. I bet there are a ton guys/gals out there playing with the wrong grip size because they don't realize grips can (and should) be changed. I further bet that those folks aren't the type to read these forums.

i use a medium glove and use standard grips. i hate grips that are too big.

I wear an XL glove but play standard size grips, I dont like the feel of the oversize in my hands. I have also found my absolute favorite grip is now the Lamkin Crossline cord, I just love the feel of that grip...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520