• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you eat and how do you cook it?

Bravo

Reaction score
I "cook out" often on my charcoal grill. This includes...

1) Steaks
2) Chicken
3) Hamburger
4) Fish
5) Ribs

Here is a picture of my grill. Notice it has two sections. The lower section is a "firebox" - used when 'slow cooking/smoking'. Down South, this is what we call 'Barbequeing" - which means (essentially) to cook meat over several hours until tender.

You build a very hot fire in the lower section and place the meat you are cooking on a grill in the upper section and rotate several times over the hours until the meat is ready. This includes ribs, chicken and large pork butts, which can take 5-6 hours to cook until tender.

WHEN you want to GRILL, you build a fire in the upper section, directly below the meat and use Direct Heat to cook the meat. This includes steaks, hamburgers and chicken.

In the U.S., in different parts of the country, there are different interpretations of the terms: "Barbeque" and "Grill".

In the North, to "Barbeque" means to "cook outside". So you can barbeque hamburgers, chicken or steaks.

Down South, this is an insult as there is no such thing as 'Barbequed Steak or Barbequed Hamburger" These items are GRILLED, meaning they are cooked fairly rapidly on direct heat.

To Barbeque is to cook on indirect heat for several hours with lots of smoky flavor from the firebox below.

Both Grilling and Barbequeing require skills in: 1) Fire/heat management and 2) Meat temperature control.

Fortunately for me, when I came home from work, my wife wanted 'thick steaks" so I bought two at the store ($23 USD) and cooked them on lump charcoal for about 15-18 minutes.

Here's my grill....

Pixxxxx....with large Labrador in front looking for steak
IMG_1018.JPG

Two thick strips...these set me back $23 USD
IMG_1020.JPG

On the patio ....cocktail in hand out of sight while I manage the grill....
IMG_1021.JPG

Let me open this up and say, do you use gas or charcoal?

I'm gas because I'm impatient. But am contemplating changing.

This is my idea of a salad. Not particularly fond of lettuce.

Raw carrots, cucumbers, tomato and celery with Italian dressing...
IMG_1023.JPG

Let me open this up and say, do you use gas or charcoal?

I'm gas because I'm impatient. But am contemplating changing.

I am a charcoal guy. This is lump charcoal...not briquettes...you might be able to see in the grill pix, long pieces of charcoal, kind of like a tree?!...burns hotter and longer. Best for both smoking and grilling.

All serious guys down south use Charcoal.....especially in competitions.

And the final product....medium to medium rare
IMG_1026.JPG

My neighbor cooks on his grill winter, spring, summer and fall, almost every night. He has a grill just like yours. He used to use a gas grill but he likes this better. Man can he cook too. :)

Bravo looks good whens dinner?....hehehe.

I haven't seen lump charcoal before...but am leaning toward charcoal this year.
I do love lettece, but do consider your salad just as appealing..
Thats how I take veggies too work..excellent and don't wilt.

This is lump charcoal....
IMG_1027a.jpg
IMG_1028a.jpg

Bravo,

You have a website link to where you got that grill? :)

WBL:

They were formerly sold by the New Braunfels Smoker Company in New Braunfels TX. I bought mine when I lived in San Antonio. It is cast iron.

The New Braunfels Smoker company sold out to CharBroil and you can buy them there....The good news is that they are cheap...about $150 and will last for years and years...heavy as hell. No cheap steel construction. The only thing that has worn out on mine in seven years of continuous use is the firegrills...and as you can see from the pix...the wooden handle and outer shelf...

http://www.charbroil.com/consumerwebhome/silversmoker.aspx

I do love lettece, but do consider your salad just as appealing..
Thats how I take veggies too work..excellent and don't wilt.

Yeah lettuce wilts all too soon. I just buy the vegetables and take em out of the fridge cold and away we go....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301