What will Phil do next?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just speechless. The most shocking finish I have ever seen at the US Open. I would like to say that no one would play 18 like Phil, but I have done the same thing for years. One disaster hole a round that just kills it.

I felt bad for Ogilvy at the trophy presentation. What do you say in that situation?

I was routing for Monty after he made his birdie putt on 17, he was getting emotional. Phil should have just chipped out on 18 for his 2nd shot.

Wow, that was one of the most painful endings ever.

Who else here thought after Monty put it in the fairway at 18, he was going to par the hole, and finally get that major victory?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:

Who else here thought after Monty put it in the fairway at 18, he was going to par the hole, and finally get that major victory?

What the hell happened on Monty's approach. It was a classic choke job I think???

When Ogilvy was about to chip I said to my dad "this could very well be the winning shot if he holes it". Monty and Phil both choked bad. I too thought Monty was going to just drop a high cut 7iron and let it roll up for an 8 footer. I see Phil taking a little vacation, I don't expect to see him until the end of July.

I was cheering for Jim Furyk, the guy has just been clutch in a couple of tourneys this year and it would have been nice to see him get a big one. Of course on a different note I was also cheering for him to get another second place finish behind Padraig Harrington, because had that happened I would have a new coffee cup on the way to my house.:)

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:

I thought for sure Monty would at least par the 18th after his drive if not have a birdie opportunity. Maybe that would have been the kind of pressure needed for Phil to keep it together on the 18th. Phil seems to play better when he know he has to pull a par or better off like at last years PGA. When he stepped up to the tee thinking a bogey or doble would get him into a playoff he got wreckless.

Disapointing finish for Phil, Monty, Padraig, and Furyk. I feel for Ogilvy as his Open win will always be remembered for the mistakes of others. Ogilvy has the game to win majors as he proved with clutch par saves on 17 and 18, but much like Michael Cambell;s victory that was highlighted by Goose and Gore falling off the table, unless he wins another major this Open will be viewed by many as a gift rather than a victory.

I see a lot of comments about "phil should have just chipped out" etc. Didnt he only hit two fairways all day off the tee? ?? His goof was off the tee, if the tent wasnt there no telling where the ball would have been. Like Rockford said a few days ago- you dont have to hit a driver off every tee.

After our early AM round Sunday, I made my friend a slight wager. I told him I'd give him 2-1 odds. He takes Mickleson, and I take Ferrie, Stricker, and Ogilvie. He says he could care less about Ferrie and Stricker, but no way was he giving me Ogilvie. Smart man. But I upped the wager to 3-1, and he bit. Sweet...

I just had a feeling O was going to win it.

Shame on Monty
Shame on Mickleson
Well done, Mr. Duval

DouginGA said:
Like Rockford said a few days ago- you dont have to hit a driver off every tee.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

His caddie supports his decision. Well, is the guy gonna say that his employer (who pays him handsomely) was wrong?

"Ya, he shoulda pulled 4 wood. What a knob."

Hit the 4 wood (even if you're only hitting it 225 uphill into the breeze) and play a 3 iron to the green. Sure makes chopping it out of the cabbage seem like night and day.

You can second guess everything from Sunday, but Phil effed up large. We'll see how he rebounds from this. My guess? He wins another major this year.

R35

Rockford35 said:
My guess? He wins another major this year.

R35

Which one Rock? The Open Championchip or the PGA?

From the article in this month's Golf Digest, it sound like Royal Liverpool may be Phil's best chance of taking the Claret Jug home. The only issue I see is how he rebounds mentally from the US Open.

I think he'll have another cheesburger, fries, and a large Coke.

Then he'll tee it high and let it fly. Into the rough.

SiberianDVM said:
Then he'll tee it high and let it fly. Into the rough.

Nail on the head. The guy plays by the seat of his pants. Good for him.

Sometimes, when my brain stops.............like that, i grab the driver on a narrow par 4. My playing partners question me and I say "Hey, I didn't pay $35 to lay up." I then promptly put one in the deep rough or the trees and have to chip out.

Phil plays that way. "You wanna bet I can hit this driver and still win the US Open?"

House wins!!!

Good on Phil for rocking and rolling. It's not like he needs the scratch. Or the notoriety. The guy's flashy, an as$hole (apparently) and he obviously likes being the center of attention. Being that he loses 10 million gambling or the US Open with a poor decision on 18, the guy loves what he's doing.

Sure, he could have hit the 4 wood and won. So he's the US Open champion. Does that make him any better of a golfer? Does his one bad hole make him any worse? Is he not a true champion? Do his kids hate him now? Is his wife sleeping with Bones because he went with Phil's decision? No, so who cares.

I see him coming back with the same fake smile, the same pompous BS that we all have grown to love/loathe and plays Phil golf. Personally, I don't like the guy much, but I would hate for him to become Justin Leonard or DLIII and walk around like they have a broom stick shoved up their asses.

Rock on Phil. You gambled, and lost. Now gamble again and win. That's why this game rules.

R35

I tend to agree with Rock. One interview I read with him though was that he didn’t figure he could get it far enough up the field with the 4 wood off the tee. My guess is that he was no more certain hitting the fairway with his 4 wood than the Big Dog. He probably figured at least the big dog put him closer to the green. Remember on the tee he was playing for a 4 not a 5 to get into a playoff. His mistake was his 2nd shot IMO. He tried to take on too much, probably fuelled by the success of his recovered 2nd at 17. He should have been thinking putt for a 4 but 5 at worst after his tee shot!! I guess he was still thinking 4.

But hey, as Rock says Phil played the shot, Phil knew the risk. He has a few majors in the bank, a bag of cash and plenty of game. I don’t think he choked, he just took a gamble and it didn’t pay off. I think Monty choked…

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raggmann54
Back