• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's your favorite, Par 3's, 4's, or 5's?

Your Favorite, Par 3, 4, or 5?

• Total voters

sandwedge

Reaction score
What is your favorite hole to play? Par 3's, 4's, or 5's and why?

I am probably in the minority here but I like the par 3's. I hit my irons better off a tee and all it takes is one good shot for a good chance at par or birdie. There is also the excitement knowing that I have 4 chances a round to do something special in getting a hole in one.

I like a good longer par 4.It gives an opportunity for a good variety of clubs & a chance to make up for one bad shot.

Par 4's...you have 1 shot to set up the best approach to the green. Blow your tee shot, you're automatically scrambling. IMHO 4's are the best test of your total game.

Par 5 because they are the most forgiving. Most of the time i try to get home in two, but even when I dont unless its a 3 shot hole i have less than 30 yards in which is not terribly dificult to play.

A nice par four where you can rip the driver and then have to drop an accurate iron to the green or end up in a trap or water. If you hit a good drive and iron you get a great feeling of satisfaction. If not you still can maybe salvage a bogey and not destroy your score. :laugh:

There is also the excitement knowing that I have 4 chances a round to do something special in getting a hole in one.
I would likely say 3's for what you mentioned and what I quoted. Only on my course I get 5 chances.

Along the same lines, I think my irons, and my 4i hybrid may be the strong point of my game right now outside of short game. Which I use alot on my home course and most other courses. I may also be the exception to most of what I have heard, in that I actually score considerably better statistically on Par 3's than 4's or 5's, as well as having more GIR's percentage wise. Probably because I have one less chance to mess up the hole. Get me on or close to the green and that is my game.

Par 3's are the only where I average better than bogie.

I look forward to the Par 5's as they can offer several different challanges on the same hole. Most Par 5's usually have at least one if not multiple risk/reward shot that allows to make decisions based on how well you playing that day. Par 5's are the best places to make birdies if you need one as most of them are reachable in two with two well played shots (I dislike Par 5's that have no chance of getting there in two.) Par 5's allow you to decide which clubs you are going to play the hole with. Most of them Allow you to hit a Driver off of the tee if you want to, but you can also play a lot of them 5I, 5I, 5I if you want to and still get home in regulation. Par 5's are just simply more fun to play as the player normally has multiple options and/or strategies to pick from.

I love par 5's.

I think Par 4's separate the men from the boys...and long par 3's.

Par 5, my score holes.

I think par-4s are generally the most difficult, but I really enjoy hitting into a par three, I just get excited everytime I come up to one.

Used to love par 5's. Made most of my eagles on them in my younger days. If I ever get some consistency back in my swing, I probably will like them again. But I think that for the purposes of the poll, I have to go with par 4. There is just so much that can be done with the 4 shot hole that can't be done with a par 3, and rarely is done with a par 5.

A "typical" modern course has 10 par 4 holes, and if it is designed with just little bit of imagination, every one will feel and play completely different from the next. Par 5 holes can have a feeling of sameness, even when they are very unalike, just because you can usually hit 2 decent, but not overpowering shots, and be in short iron range... you can even make a bad mistake and still have a chance to recover. And par 3's are purely try to hit the green from the tee. Not usually a lot of strategy involved.

But the par 4... you can make it long and brutal, or short and brutal, or as easy as you want. And anything in between. It can turn right... or left. Some creative bunkering and rough trimming can be the difference between an ordinary hole and and extraordinary one. And no matter what the intended difficulty, it only takes one bad shot to make par a dream. The par 4 holes usually define a course. They make up more than half of any typical golf course, and are usually its strongest feature.

One of my favorite holes anywhere is the 18th at my home course. 420 yards sharp dogleg left. 2 fairway bunkers sit perched on an 8 foot high mound on the inside of the dogleg, requiring a 240 yard carry to clear, and ponds border both sides of the green, with a 12 foot wide channel connecting them 40 yards in front of the green. A layup off the tee to the corner of the dogleg leaves a difficult 180-210 yard approach (and too strong a shot here can end up through the fairway and into a lake). Carry the bunkers and you can have as little as 130 yards....but hit into the right hand bunker and you will be laying up short of the water. Hit the left bunker and you may have a 150 yard shot at the green, or you may be lipped and have to lay up from there too. I've wrecked good rounds on this hole (stood on the tee at 1 under.... and made a triple), and I have left bad rounds with a good feeling by simply parring this last hole.

Love a good par 4...:thumbs up:

I chose Par 5. I write a lot of 5s on my scorecard.

i think it's time to ban the par 5 - i mean, honestly, look at the tour stats for pars 3, 4 and 5. All these guys make most of their scores on the 5's and are almost always over par for the 3's - and not much under for the 4's

I like par 5's, a good chance to make a birdie, but my favorite type of hole is a par 3, something about being able to take dead aim at the flag with the ball in your hand is nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520