• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windy golf!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys

Played a mad round on Sunday. Start of our Winter League. It was played in “high winds”. We started on 10 as there was a crowd on 1. I crushed a driver on no.10, all of 235 yards and hit a 7 wood from a divot to 15ft and drained the putt (NORMALLY A DRIVE AND 7 IRON). Drove into a bunker on 11. Splashed out and hit a 6 iron to 3 inches. Tap in for 4, still 1 under.

Rifled a 4 iron from 150 yards (NORMALLY A 8 IRON), downhill into 12, 2 putts for a par. You probably figured out that 10, 11 and 12 were into the teeth of the wind. Now downwind on 13, first of two par 5s. Drive and 6 iron to back of green. Hit a little 3 wood chip into the hole for an eagle, 3 under after 4 in a gale!! I’m on fire here!

Then I’m afraid Gentlemen, the wheels came off. I hit a big drive down 14 only never to see it again. Rough was a bit mad in the spot where we figured it must have ended up. Pity because I was only 7/8 iron distance to the green. My partner (father in law took a 6), so although it was a hiccup we were still on course.

Then at the next I hit the green, absolutely rifled a 3 iron, about 20ft off ground to 25ft from 165 yards. And then dah, dah, dah, 4 putts. In truth the ball was shaking on the green, but still!!!

That was the end of the run. We finished with 40 points but alas were not in the prizes. Great start though. Thought you’d like to get a feel for wind on a links course. :puke:

IrishGolfer said:
Guys

Played a mad round on Sunday. Start of our Winter League. It was played in “high winds”. We started on 10 as there was a crowd on 1. I crushed a driver on no.10, all of 235 yards and hit a 7 wood from a divot to 15ft and drained the putt (NORMALLY A DRIVE AND 7 IRON). Drove into a bunker on 11. Splashed out and hit a 6 iron to 3 inches. Tap in for 4, still 1 under.

Rifled a 4 iron from 150 yards (NORMALLY A 8 IRON), downhill into 12, 2 putts for a par. You probably figured out that 10, 11 and 12 were into the teeth of the wind. Now downwind on 13, first of two par 5s. Drive and 6 iron to back of green. Hit a little 3 wood chip into the hole for an eagle, 3 under after 4 in a gale!! I’m on fire here!

Then I’m afraid Gentlemen, the wheels came off. I hit a big drive down 14 only never to see it again. Rough was a bit mad in the spot where we figured it must have ended up. Pity because I was only 7/8 iron distance to the green. My partner (father in law took a 6), so although it was a hiccup we were still on course.

Then at the next I hit the green, absolutely rifled a 3 iron, about 20ft off ground to 25ft from 165 yards. And then dah, dah, dah, 4 putts. In truth the ball was shaking on the green, but still!!!

That was the end of the run. We finished with 40 points but alas were not in the prizes. Great start though. Thought you’d like to get a feel for wind on a links course. :puke:
Sounds like a real slobberknocker. Nice shots there to start, ol boy.

This week's word, brought to you by Kelloggs

bdcrowe said:
slobberknocker.

Why thankyou Mr Crowe.

I shall make that my work of the week. My aim will be to get it into at least one business related conversation by Friday, possibly a management meeting and then to keep a straight face and watch the reaction. I will report on progress.....

A good start would be:

"Gee Mrs. Randolph, that is one slobberknocker of a blouse. Was that your grandmother's?"

Or:

"Mr. Davidson, if you continue to show up late, you'll have one slobberknocker of a late night to make up for it."

Last resort:

"Geez! My slobberknocker is SO sore after last night."

That last one always works best if you leave it at that and walk off.

IrishGolfer said:
Guys

I too played a links course on the weekend - I've only ever played their once before and that was about 5 years ago, and I am a much better golfer these days. And it was the first time out on-course with my new set of irons so I was really looking forward to the challenge!

In hindsight, I should've played my home course just to get used to my new clubs and build confidence, rather than shoot a 94 in gale force winds. I just couldn't grasp the concept of hitting 2 or 3 more clubs into the wind, so invariably I kept coming up short. Then I would overcompensate and fly over the green. I lost 3 balls in consecutive holes - 2 off the tee and one over the back of the green. Very frustrating!

Just to top it off - I started with 4 pars and was only 2 over when I drove the par 4 7th green, and then proceeded to 3 putt from just off the edge of the green.

I love this game! :smilie_tm

grazo said:
I too played a links course on the weekend - I've only ever played their once before and that was about 5 years ago, and I am a much better golfer these days. And it was the first time out on-course with my new set of irons so I was really looking forward to the challenge!

In hindsight, I should've played my home course just to get used to my new clubs and build confidence, rather than shoot a 94 in gale force winds. I just couldn't grasp the concept of hitting 2 or 3 more clubs into the wind, so invariably I kept coming up short. Then I would overcompensate and fly over the green. I lost 3 balls in consecutive holes - 2 off the tee and one over the back of the green. Very frustrating!

Just to top it off - I started with 4 pars and was only 2 over when I drove the par 4 7th green, and then proceeded to 3 putt from just off the edge of the green.

I love this game! :smilie_tm

Sounds like you had a fun filled back nine. Where did you play?

Years ago before I was married, I used to go skiing every year with some friends. One year in New Mexico it was so windy they had to close the mountain. We were staying in my friends family condo on a golf course and since there was no snow that far down the mountain we dedided to go hit a few. It was chilly, but nothing a little bourbon couldn't fix. We started into the wind and none of us could hit it more that about 150 yds. It had to be blowing around 40mph. When we finally got to a downwind hole, my friend who was about a 6hc then drove a par 4 with a 5 wood.
altitude + wind = superhero

If this is what you guys play in all the time Irish, it's no wonder that your guys can come over here and win the Ryder.

Gale force winds, etc.

Irish,

With apologies for diverting your thread (nice play for a while, anyway), another favorite in the "gale force winds on a links course" vein is the ever-popular American pastime of "plugging" greens. Seems that with our bent-grass tees and greens here in Ohio, it's necessary part of turf management to go over the greens, tees, and fairways a couple of times a year with this lovely machine that punches 1000 quarter-sized (1/2") holes a second in the ground, which aerates the turf, improves drainage, reduces turf diseases, and makes putt-putt golf (with the clown's face and windmills) look oh-so-inviting. In another month or so, our greens will be better than ever, but for now, it's like putting on the surface of the moon.

Ironically enough, in my round Saturday (they "plugged" the greens Monday), I actually made MORE putts than I had in a month. When you routinely hit every putt an inch or two off to either side of the hole, a big crater every two inches is an ideal way to have at least a chance of making a putt. Of course, what goes around, comes around. After making absolutely everything inside 10 feet on the worst greens ever, Saturday, I had 5 birdie putts inside 10 feet last night (in 9 holes) and didn't make a single one. I guess that's why handicaps are figured on 20 scores? :eek:

If you want to try this exciting brand of stateside golf sometime, let me know: I'll look up next year's aeration schedule. :)

IrishGolfer said:
Sounds like you had a fun filled back nine. Where did you play?

Played Kingston Links which is south-east of Melbourne, AUS. It's a links layout with the undulating fairways and strong winds, but's it's not on the ocean like a true links course is. The closest thing we would have to a traditional links course down here is Moonah Links, where they played last year's Australian Open. Haven't played there yet but it is open to the public.

hopefully soon...

:ausflag:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427