• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wow! Golfreview.com really sucks right now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The message board has always been the smallest part of GR. It is the reviews that generate all of the traffic.

GR might show 250 people online, but 220 of them are reading the reviews. The GR forum is extremely inconsequential to the profit margins of GR/consumerreview.com...

Dorkman has no clue, which makes this fact even sadder. Francis doesn't care... He has found some poor jackass that loves golf and will work for him for free, so Francis is happy, although he doesn't even care...

Guys, just for a lark, check out http://www.mtbreview.com. See how huge it is, and Francis posts there every day. I just checked it out, and 3,243 are online there. That is three thousand, two hundred and forty three. It is huge. GR is nothing to him. Dorkman is nothing to him.

Flame wars, no flame wars, golf information, no golf information: the GR forum is a non entity as far as the profit margins of the company goes...

Check it out: read the reviews... There are 20 times more people posting reviews at GR than ever post on the forum...

But the fact is, for some reason, if one emails Francis, he listens... Right now I believe Dorkman is the only one emailing him. Another voice or two might help straighten things out; it has in the past.... I have done it...

That is all...

I used to post quite often on MTBR. Quite often, indeed. That's basically where I found out about GR, from MTBR.

Back then, the forum sucked. It was Besson and Roscoe taking turns yelling at Fred3. No moderation, none.

I dunno, Spank. I think this one is a lost soul looking for a place to die....and I think the forum will sooner than later. The reviews are still helpful for many for investigating. When they are done properly, that is.

R35

That MTBR site needs some serious protection it has loads of pop ups, I bet it gets hacked all the time.

But we can't forget about GR it is a good palce and none of us would be here if it wasn't for it.

In my opinion, you CAN NOT blame Dorkman.

As you say, he's a 50 something who loves golf. No one was there to ride herd on the crowd. He did what he thought was right.

The blame, if there is any to spread around, rests with the disinterested parent of GR....Francis.

You cannot set up a site and put it on indefinate autopilot...sooner or later it's orbit begins to decay and it is pulled back to earth for the inevitable burn up on re-entry.

One of the reasons Shot talk will be a huge success is that it's "parents" are very interested and continue to guide it and nurture it...Imagine if I had just stuck it up here, spammed a few golf boards about it's exitance and then left.

GR became consumer reviews Frankenstien, Dorkman tried to reign it in after it had already left the lab.

I didn't care for dorkman's particular style at first but I think he is genuine and when he finds himslef out of a job over there I hope he comes here. He has alot to offer from a golf enthusiasts perspective and would be an asset.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

You are probably right Rocky. Good points.

Just read your posts Sling. I agree with what you are saying...

Too little too late I guess...

I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong, Spank. I really don't.

It's just what's happened. It's too bad, but that's the deal.

It's sorta like finding out that your favorite bar is run by the mob. When Fat Tony has to move to the old country to beat a laundering rap, the place goes to hell because he has Eddie Tight Lips running the joint. The booze gets cheaper, the girls start getting dirtier. Lots of puke in the bathroom.

Pretty soon, the health inspector shuts down the joint. Tight Lips is completely unaware that guys are selling weed out of the kitchen and there are a bunch of hecklers at the front door, because he's too busy riding his Titus with the Ti crank.

I think that ship needs a new captain, at least 4 new 1st mates and a new set of forum rules to be set out and adhered to.

Funny, I call that place Shot Talk.

R35

Good post sling.

I like dorkamn53 a lot he is a good guy and is left with no other option to do what he does delete vulgar posts that could inflict with personal laws which people report because they are offended. And ban people who have did this stuff soemtimes he has got it wrong but it is hard for him.

I hope he comes here he could let his hair down a but and join in on the good discusion.

Francois needs to be more active.

Rock:

I agree..."the big conflagration" occurs.

Bannings...new rules being posted. And a call for new Mod's.

There is No way I want that. You - as a mod - have to make all these Judgement Decisions on Flamers. AND - all this Heavy Baggage from the Past - that Besson and Spank have documented.

When this went on - I said No Way that I want to Mod such a site. I want golf and lite/friendly social chat....like what I have with my friends locally. A place I can come and talk with my online buddies. But hopefully, a place where my friends are international and we are talking about golf or whatever happened that day.

This - Clearly - was not what GR gravitated DOWN into.

So - Let's be Positive. Sling has stepped forward and spent many, many personal hours (and $) to establish ST. It is open, but at the same time - does not permit "OB Behavior".

You gotta new and legitimate golf product? OK.

You spamming some golf clone junk - NO!

You want to "take the gloves off" to a certain extent? OK.

But go out of bounds into an obvious flamewar - NO.

And Spanky - your history is deep and rich with all of this.

YOu know more than anyone ever forgot about it all.

I would just like a forward-moving and thinking group - the past be damned..

(Reporting from the Fiorello LaGuardia Airport: bravo...)

Bravo said:
I would just like a forward-moving and thinking group - the past be damned..

Deep down, i don't ever see this happening there. It's beyond where it needs to be without a major revamp.

I feel sorry for Dork. The guy tried to clean things up and got lambasted for it. He took on a role that many of us wouldn't wish on anyone. I give him credit for that. It's just unfortunate the way in which things were done that has permanently tatooed that site forever.

Sad, but true.

Hey Bravo, they have a Papa John's pizza in the airport? They have great personal pizzas there... ;)

R35

rockford35 said:
Hey Bravo, they have a Papa John's pizza in the airport? They have great personal pizzas there... ;)

R35

Just got back from a very nice dinner at the hotel restaurant....Veal Parm....

And as Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd said in Trading Places....

"Looking good and feeling good Ernest..."

Sorry about the poor feckers over at the airport...

Boy, I guess I just had to reply just to 'straighten' out the record. There are a lot of errors in this thread.

Let me just say this. When I came back to GR in December after a two month leave, I saw Monty defacing everyone in a thread that no longer exists. I called him out in that thread and he later asked to be banned. I conversed with Francis via email regarding that incident and put the thought in his head about advertisers not supporting the content of the forum due to his mouthings. I called for his banning and got it in December. Remember the weekend threads about the post Monty era?

Well, low and behold Besson makes a comeback the following Monday. I'm still not sure how that happened. I then joked to Francis that I wanted to be a moderator to clean the place up. He immediately accepted and made me Super Moderator. I seriously thought he was joking and played it that way for quite a while. One thing Francis said to me that is the crux of the whole situation that happened over there was that he wanted to take full effort to ban Roscoe, Montagle and Spank and all of their aliases. I have this in written email form. It is fact. Remember this for later in the story here.

Besson couldn't stand the fact that I was mod and for the next three or four weeks brought up my name in just about every post he made. He even brought up old posts that I had made i.e. Effen Women. I remember PMing with Buddha about what I could do to take advantage of my moderator status. I believe Buddha even talked to Rockford about this and Rock...you may be able to confirm that. I wasn't in there to moderate, I was in there to turn up the heat on Besson.

After a few weeks of watching Besson squirm at the fact that I was moderator, I finally decided to 'do' something. I emailed Francis and reminded him of the email he sent me about banning Montagle and all of his aliases. I told him that Besson was indeed Montagle and that he should stand behind his word about the bannings. Francis wanted proof that this was indeed true so I sent him some links of threads that proved it.

So Spankycorndung, Dorkman is NOT the responsible party. You owe him an apology as he wanted nothing to do with banning Besson and really wanted him back. Me? I just wanted to power play the guy...and did. I love giving Besson sh!t.

To continue, I asked Francis to wait until Besson stepped over the line before he banned him, but Francis said no we are banning him now. Francis did so right away. Dorkman was no where to be seen during this whole thing. Then I came up with the golf forum rules and regs and dropped it on the forum. I spent a day and a half having a blast with people.

Then, that Friday when Besson came back, Francis sent me an email saying Besson was writing him a LOT of long emails trying to get back in. Francis said the only thing he can say to him was that I 'said' he was Montagle and Montagle was banned. Francis went back on his word about banning Montagle and all of his aliases. That is the bottom line and what makes GR what it is today. A wishy-washy, never there admin that doesn't give enough power to the mods. At one point I even asked Francis for more admin power and he said no.

I immediately gave up my moderator status at GR as soon as Besson was reinstated because the fun was over.

Rockford, I respect and like you, but you said in a previous post that people were asking you to be moderator and you turned them down. Truth is that you asked me to be moderator that Friday and I said I'd put in a good word for you. Which I did.

I also think it's funny how some of you are saying that GR is forever tainted. You people definitely need to get out of the house and do something else. The world doesn't revolve around what a few internet posters think about a website. Forever tainted? In your mind maybe, but a whole new breed of people will soon take over there and get into it. It could even revert back to what it was with the same people posting.

Every other word that comes out of Spanks posts is propaganda. Believe it!

Peace out...these ARE the facts.

~QQ

Maybe it's just me but I see no need to rehash old stuff here. People are here and not at GR or vice versa for their own reasons. I'm here becuase buddhaa suggested I come here as it was "freindlier" than GR which it most certainly is. I think we should let sleeping dogs lie and forget what went on at GR. Things are only gonna get ugly fast on here if we continure bring up the crap that went on.

Sling has done a wonderful job with this place and I'm here to stay and may never return to GR but thats only beacause I liek it here, not becasue I have issuses about what went on.

My two cents. Though being Canadian that really isnt much i guess. :D

MAHALLEDAY said:
Maybe it's just me but I see no need to rehash old stuff here. People are here and not at GR or vice versa for their own reasons. I'm here becuase buddhaa suggested I come here as it was "freindlier" than GR which it most certainly is. I think we should let sleeping dogs lie and forget what went on at GR. Things are only gonna get ugly fast on here if we continure bring up the crap that went on.

Sling has done a wonderful job with this place and I'm here to stay and may never return to GR but thats only beacause I liek it here, not becasue I have issuses about what went on.

My two cents. Though being Canadian that really isnt much i guess. :D

Agreed, 100%. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Q's argument goes to the point that if Francis had payed attention from the get go, none of this would have happened.

A few thoughts... Sling has gone through great trouble and probably $ to bring shottalk up and to present it as a great golf forum that stands on its own. I find myself here almost entirely because of what ShotTalk IS, NOT WHAT GR ISN'T.

I'm at GR VERY seldom and find myself there less and less. It's not my gig anymore-- due to the fact that it has turned into primarily a hang-out for 13 year olds who have little forum etiquette, little grasp on their own importance, and little rationale for what may be of interest to anyone over 13. Does that make it a bad forum. Most likely not, just a bad forum for me.

Shot Talk is here as a golf community that both has open(ish) policies for the core group, but is also doors-open to inviting newbies into that core group. It is not a close second to what GR used to be, and shouldn't be seen as such. Shot Talk is first rate. GR isn't what it was, but it's not fair to GR to hash about it here. Moreso, I somehow feel that it is even less fair to ST to do so. Long live both forum. Spend time where you want.

That is all... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781