• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2009 Goals

acarty

Future Pro!
Reaction score
It's very important for me to define goals each season, and to constantly review these and strive to achieve them!

So, here I'm going to record my goals, and amend them etc when I need to. If anyone wants to join me, we can keep a track.

My goals:

1. Get handicap down to 5.0
2. Shoot a level par 72.
3. Increase FIR to 75%
4. Increase GIR to 80%
5. Qualify for and play for the scratch team

That's me. Anyone else...?

Break 80 consistently. Practice my short game more.

My goals are simple for this year, recover from surgery & get on the course hopefully by June.

My goals for 2009:
1. Wake up each morning. At this age, that's a struggle. But, in order to continue to enjoy the great game of golf, it's much easier from the top side of the grass.
2. Learn something new each day. Too many, at a young age, feel they know all. As we mature, we understand there are many things we don't know and still have much to learn. Each day, I forget so many things. I have trouble remembering names and places. My wife of 42 years always reminds me of the things I do NOT know!!! So, since I'm making room for more info, by forgetting so much, I want to learn. I want to learn why everyone on a golf forum hits 320 to 325 yard drives, yet so few are on even the mini-tours. I want to learn why everyone on a golf forum can back up a ball from 195 with a pitching wedge, twice the distance pros hit wedges. I want to learn why everyone on a golf forum buys the newest golf equipment, immediately after release, yet the OEM's sales are in the tank. So much to learn.... so little time!
3. PLAY more golf. Remember it's a game... it's to be played. Quit taking it so seriously. Relax. And, with my bag of old Eye 2+'s, continue taking pocket change from those who do take it seriously.
4. Go one full season with zero club changes. It's February and I haven't traded/purchased one new club. 1/12th of the way home!! Just 334 days, 8 hours, and 14 minutes until I can purchase something new.... not that I'm counting! There is not, at this moment in time, a club in my bag I am disappointed with. The ONLY thing between me being a 10 capper and a scratch player is ME!
5. Lose 20 pounds. I'll have much more chance at accomplishing #1, if I do so! And, who knows? Sleek and trim and presenting a youthful appearance, I might be the first 63 year old to make it through Q-school next winter. Of course, when I'm on tour, I'll no longer have to associate with you mere amateurs on ShotTalk. :emot-ange:emot-ange:emot-ange

Just to improve really and keep enjoying it rather than worry too much about any bad days.

However I would like to....

Break the dreaded 80 at my home course
Get hcap down 2-3 shots
Improve my course management
Win one of our bigger medal competitions

All within my compass but tbh I have enough targets at work and for me golf is something to relax away from pressure and not create more for myself.

I want to learn why everyone on a golf forum hits 320 to 325 yard drives, yet so few are on even the mini-tours. I want to learn why everyone on a golf forum can back up a ball from 195 with a pitching wedge, twice the distance pros hit wedges.

You have a better shot at curing cancer than figuring out either of those:ugly25:

My goals for 2009 are pretty straight forward.
I would like to;

- play as much golf as I can.
- enjoy myself with every round played, no matter what the score.
- play in club member's events and maybe win one.
- get my hanicap into single digits.
- shoot a round of even par, hopefully more than once.

I'm sure there are a few more, but I can add them when I think of more.

Major goal:

Play more this year. I think I only played 40-50 rounds last year, and I'd like to get out more.

Minor goals:

Shoot a level par or lower
Handicap in the 3-4 range
Make more putts

Hopefully, if I accomplish the major, the minor will follow.

SIMPLE-- just play more golf.... hit plenty of balls on the range and launch monitor-- just did not get on the course much. :usflag:

Break 80... doing that the short game and putting need to step up!

Get the hcp down to a 2. I'm practicing a lot, but I seem to remain plateau'd. Maybe I need a lesson for some things to work on. Thinking about a lesson from the Jim McLean Golf Academy, possibly by Jason Carbone. Supposedly one of McLean's top protege's.

I would like to play as much as possible this year, and work on my putting especially.

I was hoping last season was gonna be a "recovery year" from the dismal one I had %the year before...but it didn't happen....to outta shape and the floods shortened the year by over half.

This year I am in better shape than I've been in 10 years....so I'm ready to go.

Best parts of my game have been FIR (78.6%)...and putting has not been bad...my areas to improve are GIR (Always hit the ball short).

This year I'm playing more aggressive...plan to be at or under 5 hdcp and make the Championship EIGA team.

I had a really strange year last year - I started the year @ 9.1 and finished the year @ 9.1, but to my mind I improved immeasurably. Reached 2 matchplay finals - singles lost, fourballs won. I shot a 67 (preferred lies) and myself and my partner finished 4th of 60 teams in Florida.

With a new addition to the family I can't see myself committing to extra practice/play so realistically I'd love to have the same year as last year. All my focus is going into winning the tourney in Florida on our return there in April (would be nice to get out to a 10 index b4 then :D )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520