• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2009 PGA Merchandise Show - SST Pure

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SST Pure has been spinning shafts for quite some time. Golfsmith, the worlds largest seller of golf shafts, has been offering SST Pure technology for many years, but if you were looking to get your shaft "pured" there were not too many options out there other than send the shaft to Austin at Golfsmith. That will no longer be the case.

SST Pure has come up with a new machine and technique for profiling golf shafts that is fairly portable (they set one up in their hotel room while at the show) and can be operated with about 10 minutes of training. The new system measures all of the shaft parameters that the previous system measured, but they have added a couple of new features including a tip torque number than could finally standardize how torque is measured across the range of manufacturers. Running a shaft through the new machine take approximately 2 minutes (90 seconds of which is for data entry into the computer for the make and model of shaft, the actual measuring process for all of the parameters is 30 seconds and if you just run an individual test it can be as low as 3 to 4 seconds.) Once the measuring is done, the computer can provide a printed page with all of the parameters and the shaft is marked automatically for installation.

Some of the more interesting information that SST provided in a press conference were on a couple of slides. The first is a bar graph of dispersion rate of the same shaft installed with the standard logo side up versus the shaft installed after SST puring. Drivers #3 and #4 were also FLO's (Flat Line Oscillation) and installed a third time using just the FLO results. As you can see, the dispersion rate is significantly less with SST pure alignment, but the most surprising result to me was how insignificant FLO'ing a shaft helps or in some cases (Driver#4) hurts the dispersion rate.

The next slide I found very interesting as though out the years on this forum we have debated the benefits of shaft alignment and always wondered just how many of the Touring Pro's actually use this technology. Well, the next slide is a list of PGA and Champions tour pro's who have visited the SST Pure tour van and had their shafts under go the process of measurement and re-installed aligned.

Hmm. I wonder who TW could be? :laugh:

T.W.? Tom Watson maybe, but he wasn't on the PGA Tour in 2008...mysterious....
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427