• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 wood or 18 degree hybrid

what should I get

• 3wood

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 18 degree hybrid

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

CHW

Reaction score
should I get a 3 wood or 18 degree hybrid

do you hit irons better than fairways? swinger or hitter? can you hit your 3 iron? do you have other hybrids?

do you carry any other fairway woods?

what distance gap are you trying to fill?

based on the options of 3 wood or 18* hybrid, I'd probably opt for a 17* 4 wood - less distance than a 3w but more than the 18* hybrid

You'll need both for a normal bag. I'd have a 20-25 yd. difference between the 2. I have a 13* 3w and a 17.5* 5W. I averaged my distances for a whole round (no driver in the bag) and was 19yds. longer with the 3W than the 5W.

Normal bag? HA!

Depends, what do you hit better and what are you more comfortable with?

I know I just picked up a hybrid, but that's because I'm as bad as Ezra and Rock but without any financial means to even try. Anyway, I personally am still comfortable with the fact that I can hit my 3 wood from 230-260 off the deck, so what does the degree gap matter to me?

Anyway, if you are rigid in deciding between one or the other, which can be justified, go with what you feel most comfortable with, and what has the most potential.

I use both a 3 wood and a hybrid (19*) rather than a 5 wood, I find that I have a bit more control over shot shape and trajectory with the hybrid.

Normal bag? HA!

Depends, what do you hit better and what are you more comfortable with?

The question should be a 3W or a 14* hybrid or 5W or a 18*. An 18* is a 2i/5W replacement.

So, yeah, both. Unless you need a spot for the 64* wedge.
icon10.gif

You've GOTTA have a 3-wood. Hy-brids to fill the gaps between whatever the longest iron you can hit is... :D

The question should be a 3W or a 14* hybrid or 5W or a 18*. An 18* is a 2i/5W replacement.

So, yeah, both. Unless you need a spot for the 64* wedge.
icon10.gif

And Ezra continues to spread his disease.

Have replaced my 3 wood 13 degree Cleveland titanium launcher with a 16 degree nike ironwood with 1 inch over shaft. Get the same distance of the deck with higher penetrating trajectory and more consistency. Consistency may be relate to other nike hybrids in bag. Anyway I find the Nike to be versatile out of the rough and bunkers also. Maybe some lost distance of the tee. good luck with choice and sounds like a driving range test in order. I believe Nickent also makes a 14 degree hybrid that I have heard good things about

thanks guys

well most people have been talking about getting a compleat set the problem is you get a compleat set and only use about half the clubs.

for instance I have 4-10 set in Irons and a wedge I only use the5 7 9 and wedge that others I have used hardly at all. So I want to get what will be more usefull to me that is why I said 18 degree or 3 wood insted of 14 degree.

I am going to a father son golf scramble on saterday and the holes arnt that long so I will probly get the 18 degree. beside I can crush the ball with my driver.

But I am going to take the advice and hit them both at the store and make my desition then.

Why don't you just get both? You SHOULD have room in your bag for both of them.

if you're longest iron is a 4iron (guessing somewhere around 23*) then I'd take a good look at a hybrid somewhere around 18,19,20,21*

as a kid, I had Driver, 3 wood, 3,5,7,9, putter - 7 iron is still my favorite club - I now like my PW better than my 9, but would rather hit a 5 or 7 than a 6

fairway wood isn't a bad idea - if you find yourself on a hole where hitting driver will put you into a creek - laying up with an easy to hit fairway wood isn't a bad option

i dealt with this same issue last summer.

once i found a hybrid i could stand to look at and hit well the choice became obvious, i was hitting the hybrid just as far as my 3 wood and so much more accurate on a consistant basis.

after that i dropped a wedge and the issue came back up, and i was able to find a 13* fairway wood that will keep the ball down like none other on those windy days, give me a DEEP par 5 in two option, and something more accurate than my driver for tight par 4's.

like previously said the most important thing to do is demo everything you can lay your hands on.

good luck,

-YG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35