• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A clubmaker is born!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Reaction score
as a lot of you know i recently undertook the task of reshafting my irons...with a side driver shaft experiment. my manager at work, being the incredibly cool person he is allowed me to receive the club-repair training while working on my own clubs. I already knew pretty much what to do thanks to having spent a lot of time on here but getting my hands dirty and actually doing this stuff was a great experience for me. the unfortunate part is, this went so well i really don't have anything i desire to experiment with now...maybe a hybrid shaft, we'll see.

Dynalite Gold's in Stiff out; Apollo Stepless Steel shafts cut to stiff flex, in. gripped with Sharpro Titan Man Midsize grips. left them 3/4 of an inch over standard.

Also switched driver shafts.... went from an X Flex Graphite Design YS-6+ tipped 1" that played 45" in my HiBore . to a Grafalloy Bimatrx Proto in X flex, that after installing uncut played at 45.75" and I decided to leave it there.

finished and took them home monday night, went to the range tuesday evening and played 18 holes with them earlier today.

the iron shafts are incredible. great feel to them, great accuracy, and the nice, lower trajectory i was hoping to get over the super high launch Dynalite Golds. for $26 before shipping, easily some of the best money i've ever spent. I may have to send the Maxfli head's somewhere to get refinished to make this setup all that sweeter as i love the stepless look these have to them.

next, the Bimatrx. this thing is a freak of nature. the distance of graphite combine with the accuracy of steel...you better believe it! WBL you gotta try one of these!!!! this thing puts new emphasis on long and straight. at the range i went to, which was slightly downhill, but into the wind. i was landing balls on top of each other next to the 300 yard marker. playing today wasn't any different. this combo sends that ball off with a boring trajectory, yet the ball hangs in the air for what seems an eternity, comes down and rolls seemingly forever. I had to have been averaging 300 yards. including a 320 yard uphill moonshot. I am more than impressed with this. i got it for $15 before shipping and am just mystified as to how it can be this great. you guys gotta go try one.

sorry for the long post, hope it didn't ramble like crazy, i do that when i'm excited..... i'll see if i can get some pics up soon to really make this thread worth reading.

I LOVE hearing stories like this...your excitement and energy definitely carried over in your post!

It can become addicting, can't it?

Congratulations!

Super job gun!! Damn, you had to bring that bimatrix up again... :D Did you spine all your shafts before you built the irons? :D

the batteries on my camera were low so i took these in a hurry...too lazy to find more for now so these'll have to do.

neither of the shafts i put in were overly flashy so i didn't bother taking close-ups. just take my word that they look fantastic

the bimatrx matches the HiBore pretty well color scheme wise, finally a club that looks nice, and performs!

if i did it correctly i should have a pic of the bag w/ headcovers (go jayhawks!) and w/o. a down the shaft view of my 3 iron and the HiBore.
P1010405.JPG
P1010406.JPG
P1010409.JPG
P1010408.JPG

That putter cover is adorable.

I mean... extraordinarily manly and intimidating...

Nice setup, bro. Happy for ya :)

Cool. I just started doing the same this year.
After recieving some great tips here, I reshafted my sisters Adams 3 wood, and my NDS irons with FST Pro black lites. The shafts havent made me a better ball striker, but the yardage gaps and dispersion are more consistant, and I was able to get closer to a 7 gram seperation between each head (my 5 iron head was 3 grams lighter than what the specs say). I then built a Snake Eyes Ti 460 mated with a RP Saber 55... I spent like 55 bucks total for it, and I hit it better than my old R5 dual (mas 55 shaft = not for me).

Anyways, I just built my brother a GS Black Box head with a Penley shaft and GP DD grip.. Kick ass looking club, cant say if it performs worth a darn, but the all black with yellow accents is a nice look. I also built my Bro-inlaw a CER Oil can wedge and myself a 52 and 56 degree DM Series wedges.

To be honest, I made some mistakes with my iron set, big mistake in not prepping the shaft, did that, and the ferrule OD was larger than the hosel OD... Also I think my irons are about 1/8 inch shorter than the "standard" lenghts... no big deal, but I will definately be investing in a ruler SOON. I also really want to try out those KE4 irons from GWorks... that will be my next project, and maybe a hybrid, 5 wood, and a second driver (want to try a Geek)... crap this is addicting.

Super job gun!! Damn, you had to bring that bimatrix up again... :D Did you spine all your shafts before you built the irons? :D
i wasn't particularly informed in the spining process and the Dick's i work at doesn't have a machine for it anyway. so no.

got to play my setup again today with MGP and improved on yesterdays +6 76, with a +3 73. am really liking this setup more and more, particularly the irons which i really hit pretty well today. the bimatrx was laking a little control today, but it was plenty long. i'm thinking of tipping it 3/4 or a half of an inch to make the club play exactly at 45" to get a little bit more control out of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520